ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:( Car starting problems

Chelsea tractor
Every time I try to start the car (not just when it's damp), the first time I turn the key it won't start. The starter motor sounds like it's turning the engine over fine but it just won't kick in.

Car usually starts if I return the key to "off" and then try again. The engine runs fine other than that.

Engine is a K4J 1.4 16v

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Never above 25mpg
Mine does this. Im getting a cambelt done as mine wasnt replaced last year.
A while ago, I used to turn the key and nothing happened whatsoever, was because of a dodgy starter motor which I got replaced.

Chelsea tractor
I had the belts done about 2 years ago so I doubt it's anything to do with that.

Starter motor appears to be fine, it turns the engine over, it's just that the fuel doesn't seem to want to ignite.

Is this likely to be the original battery? How long do they last? (I know it's at least 4 years old)

DSC00914.jpg

Megane dci 130
100% A crank sensor problem. Tighten the pins on the connector. Its located on top of the gearbox where the wireing loom runs across the top. Its like a bronze body with a black pick up in the middle.

Clio Sport 172
I had the same problem as you described. The engine would turn over fine, but wouldn’t start. It turned out the chip inside the key was damaged, and it wasn’t disarming the immobilizer. Now I just use the spare key, and it works fine.

Chelsea tractor
100% A crank sensor problem. Tighten the pins on the connector. Its located on top of the gearbox where the wireing loom runs across the top. Its like a bronze body with a black pick up in the middle.
Will try that later then, cheers