ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won're start.

Clio 172
Hi,

I have a PH2 172 and yesterday it wouldn't start. I drove it to and from university (25 miles) as normal and it started fine on both occasions.

I called into town and parked up on my way home. Got back to my car and it won't start. Not even turn over. Nothing.

However, my lights work, radio works, car lock and unlocks. But it won't turn over at all.

When getting back to my car though, my clock (time) had reset, as well as my mpg, trip computer clocks. Strange that the radio code doesn't need to be entered though...

Recently, my trip computer has been resetting itself overnight (not all the time).

After ringing Dan@SJM, he suggested the being the issue. Searching the forum, a lot of people suggest this too. I tried jump starting the car using my brother's car, but still nothing.

Also, my immobiliser light goes out as normal, so it doesn't seem like that is the problem either.

As it's parallel parked, trying to bump start it could be tricky.

Has anybody got any ideas? Would appreciate any help people can give :)

Thanks

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
dead battery is my guess.
Mine was doing this until I replaced the battery last week.

failing that, it could be an earth strap, that would give similar symptoms.

Clio 172
Thanks for your replies.

I tried jump starting it using my brother's car, with no luck.

If the battery is at fault, should the jump 'start' have started it?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Thanks for your replies.

I tried jump starting it using my brother's car, with no luck.

If the battery is at fault, should the jump 'start' have started it?

mine would jump....... but only after having it connected to a running car's battery for around 10 mins before hand.
any sooner than that and it just said no.

Clio 172
mine would jump....... but only after having it connected to a running car's battery for around 10 mins before hand.
any sooner than that and it just said no.

Any idea on the voltage it was putting out? (Before the jump)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
8v on it's own steam (got a dash mounted voltmeter), enough to operate c'locking, lights, radio, but no start.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
just a click from the starter solenoid.
but the battery was a known fault.

Between me and wife we have 3 cars, so the Clio was sat for a few days as the ZR is better on fuel.
She killed the battery in her 106 that she uses for work (self employed), so I switched them over to keep her moving.

Clio 172
Unfortunately it didn't solve it.

Called the RAC out.

Battery was fine, over 12v. We managed to bump start it, leading him to think it's the starter motor...

He couldn't test the starter motor on the roadside because it's so difficult to get to. :/

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
sounds like it could be an earth strap.

the common culprit is the gearbox one, accessed through the passenger side wheel arch.

Renault raped me £200 to diagnose / solve that one, for what was essentially a £15 bit of cable :(

Clio 182
Mines doing the exact same thing! Luckily had mates to push and bump me off which works! I'm guessing starter motor too!

Clio 172
I've taken it to the local RAC approved garage as I need the car done soon. Who knows how that is going to go!

They said they'd check the earth, relays etc before changing the starter motor.

Hopefully it is something simple... (cheap)

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
I had this same problem when I had my Clio, all lights/radio/lock/unlock worked but it wouldn't turn over at all.
MickPM trader on here told me to look at the white wire which goes to the starter motor solenoid as it may have corroded, that's what happened on mine, new wire/connector later it was sorted, 1 hour labour for auto electrician was all i had to pay.