ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start, I'm the unluckiest owner ever..

Mini Cooper S
uch/ ecu/ key fob ( not blade ) and decoder ring/
all have to match whats on your car already.

ie mines an UCH-N3
code 8200-------------
ecu code 8200----------

have fun getting the ecu cover off lol

Yeah it's coming from another 182! The covers off already from trying to find the fault absolute nightmare! So I'll need the ecu also?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yupp, ecu is coded to the UCH and to the key so without the ecu , you won't get anything

hence why everyone says ( usually dealers ) that when you have a new UCH It needs coding into the ecu ect.

Secon hand fixing - swap UCH /ecu/ key fob /code ring and it should fire up unless you have a problem wiring wise

frozen white clio172
Well I spoke to a few mechanics today and not one could get to mine until next week, but they have got me thinking would the battery in the key have enough power to open car but not enough to send signal to ecu as when I press the unlock button the red light on the key only lights up slightly and flickers????

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
If you hold it, it will flicker!

got mine going on the cars original UCH and everything,
took another look at the electrics as I had nothing to lose, if it didn't work , it was going to Renault Monday.

But now it's running :)

took out every fuse and relay in the engine bay box, lifted it all up and found the magical white connector underneith all the crap that's built up. Disconnected it, cleaned , packed with Vaseline. All fuses and relays all cleaned up spotless , little file in the connectors (ones i could get to) reconnected everything. Battery back on locked and unlocked the car, BOOM fired up first time :D

duck all wrong with my UCH. Even tho everything stopped working on it :/

frozen white clio172
Mate im hoping mine is exactly the same, I looked at all wirezs etc today and in the relay box is absolutely filthy, so tomorrow I'm gettin everything out like yourself I'm gonna change the battery in the key also got my battery on charge tonight so tomorrow will be d day... I can also see a couple of earth's and to be honest they are rusty as hell so gonna sand them down to....

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Cover the pins and earth points in Vaseline always done it on on electrical problems from water problems

my wiring pins and connectors was all green and corroded. Surprise the hell out of myself when It started up.
Fred was right, wiggle everything. Basically take the car apart and clean the connectors lol :D

frozen white clio172
I'll do exactly that mate fingers crossed it starts for me where abouts are all earth's mate one on gearbox is new so won't need to touch that, where can I get a battery for my key also

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I got my fob battery from halfords

Erm, you've got your battery earth to the body, gearbox to body and loads of other earths all over the car. You've got the ecu earth next to the ecu on the suspension strut ( little 10mm bolt with two black wires running of it intro the ecu loom )

cant really comment on earths tbh, I've got a battery lead from halfords ( big red chunky wire ) and earthed my engine block to the body with it

frozen white clio172
Right today I have given the wiring etc a overhaul, cleaned up all relays took every electrical plug out cleaned as best I could, changed battery in key fob, put in a fully charged battery bought a fault code reader from Halford for 50 but before I plugged it in I give the key a turn and hey presto car starts BUT now it's in limp mode heartbeat and coil light on No other lights illuminated so out came the £50 code reader which picked up 3 fault codes one was a previous injector so knew that wasn't my issue the other 2 codes were P0136 and P0314 so I cleared the codes and now it's just coming up with the one P0136 which is 02 sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 2 any ideas what this might be and it is the cause of now running in limp mode also will it harm driving on limp mode? As I have been told after a drive it may disappear, cheers jonny any help appreciated

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
the relays in the engine bay?

My new uch does everything but turn the solid red light off.

frozen white clio172
Yeh mate mine were green so wire wool did the trick... Still in limp mode thou!! Can I drive in limp mode coz it happened to me before and just decided to work again whilst driving... I'm thinking all the turning of the key and engine turning over may have flooded it or is bringing up the fault...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yup it's defo the engine bay box that's caulsing the solid red imob!
Mines running perfect now that I've cleaned all the s**t out of the electrics

big white connector at the bottom being the worst to get at as it gets covered I s**te !

Jonny, be carefull driving it around in limp, drive it easy until it sorts itself out or get the codes read and deleted

be all this damp weather we've had

frozen white clio172
Just got back from the gym, about a 6 mile round trip drove nice and steady still stuck in limp mode but everything works perfectly I cleared the codes but now eml is on along with heartbeat light I'm thinking all the attempts to start it may have flooded engine/plugs so maybe that's why it's picking up the faults will have another look tomorrow may just take it to a garage now I have it running at least

frozen white clio172
Right thought I'd add an update as it may help somebody but honestly don't know what I did.... Today I decided to go get a spark plug tool but before I got at the plugs I decided to just give everything a going over wiring loom looked ok took out every electrical connection I could get to wd40 went everywhere, then I had 3 spare relays from a trip to the scrapyard a few months ago so popped all 3 in exchange for the 3 black ones under bonnet reconnected the battery and turned the ignition and hey presto it started and heartbeat light, eml light gone!! Took her for a spin and running sweet love the power in these little cars. Now I'm not sure how it would help but rather than diagnose a very expensive fault I'd advise get under bonnet and spend some time cleaning every connection u can see, it has worked for me so maybe others also..

Mini Cooper S
Cheers for that I'll give it a go! Just got a ecu/uch to try that also. Fingers crossed I'll get her running tomorrow!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i WD40'd every connector, put packed the relay box connections in vaselen gel.

works perfect still so must be a random thing.

ahwell, got a brand new, uncoded N3 uch now which i dont need lol

think i have the same problem, immobiliser has been playing up for quite a while now but just changed the gearbox on my 172 cup and now the immobiliser light will either stay solid or flash. i've taken all my relays out they're all clean all my fuses seem ok got a new battery, not sure what else i can do now. anyone got any suggestions?

I'm not sure dude I would get it checked out though. Mine turned out to be a broken wire but it wouldn't start at all. Mines now stuck in limp mode :( for some reason.

all you can hear with mine are the relays clicking, i either have a solid light or the light flashes... i've checked all fuses/relays can't find nothing no idea what else it can be.

Mini Cooper S
My relays clicked don't think the fuel pump primed and it tried to turn over then cut out. I bought the ecu/uch thinking it was that.

Phase 2 172
depending on equipment level of the car.

the three black relays can control

fuel injection/immobiliser
starter motor
heated rear screen iirc

any time i ever had a clio immobilised changing the three relays always fixed it.

Failing that there was a broken/corroded wire from the engine fuse box to the ecu roughly where the loom bends at the battery tray just at the front of the gearbox. Usually an orange wire iirc

Clio 182
Did you find what caused your not starting problem?

I had the relay fault: making it not start, clean them all and hey presto.

But now the small 30 amp fuse in the box under the bonnet near the relays keeps randomly blowing and stopping it start???

Any ideas or seen this before?

cheers

Cliosport172
Sounds like a bare wiring shorting out the circuit and blowing the fuse dude. By the way brilliant thread :)

renault clio 197
I've also now got this problem. Replaced the ecu\uch kit and still doing the same decoder ignition barrel ring changed still not working. Where is the best place to start cleaning the wiring loom and check for break points or earthing points?