ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start tried loads of stuff and out of ideas

SQ5
Died going along an wouldn't start.

Inertia Fuel cut off switch is fine
Ecu checked by ECU doctor and is fine
TDC sensor replaced
RSTuner code reader wouldn't connect properly
K-Tec Code reader got Link Error and wouldn't connect

All those things are not in the order I done them

Car will turn over but won't fire. Any ideas?

Megane dci 130
Whats the problem? I take it you have no fuel (ie the fuel pump does not prime when you turn the ignition on?)

SQ5
trying everything before needing to get another ecu as will need to be unlocked

No fuel and no spark :-(

ph - Quick Silver!
What your explaing sounds just like what happend to my ph1 172 it turned out to be a ground wire came loose at the back of the engine

Are you getting the immobliser light flashing on the dash?

I had a simliar problem with my PH1. it was msifiring, turning ut to be a decaying wire running fromt he coil pack top the ECU in the end.

SQ5
Yea the light flashes in the centre of the dash.

If this is the problem i will be so f**king happy lol!

Which earth wire to the engine?

If the light is flashing then you will prob need a new key as thats wat renault told me i needed.

Ignition on and the immobilser light flashes, means the key isnt turning the immobilser off.

Igntion on and light stays solid, all good in the hood.

SQ5
Bloody hell, could of wrote the the other way round, scared as anything reading that lol!

Just been out and it stays solid when cranking.

Where is this loose earth people have spoke about and what other earths are there off the engine?

There's three main earths, generally.

Gearbox to body
Alternator to battery
Another one lol

(This may be complete b****cks - I can never remember where they are :eek:)

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
long shot mate but myn did the same and i tried my other key and it worked. the chip in the old key must of been fooked and therefore the imbolisser wouldnt de activte

Check fuses in engine bay, just had this prob. Was just clicking when trying to turn over changed the "5" fuse in engine bay (next to batt) and fired up no probs.

SQ5
My engine was clicking too when the battery had run out. All the fuses there are fine if your on about the big hefty ones?

Megane dci 130
Its an imobiliser issue. Tryed the spare key?

It will either be the ring or the key most likely.

SQ5
it can't be an immobilser issue if it happend whilst going along though really can it?!?

And the light is as always was. Ever since having my ECU back from the ECU doctor it doesn't beep when locking or unlocking :s

As above, only the one key....

Sounds like immobiliser problem to me

This sounds really daft but back when I had my ph1 1.4 I could press the key in really hard and turn it and it would disable the immobiliser wher as turning it normally would leave it active (really odd i know but might be worth a shot!)

The car started fine with the spare key BTW.

2003 172
Sounds like immobiliser problem to me

This sounds really daft but back when I had my ph1 1.4 I could press the key in really hard and turn it and it would disable the immobiliser wher as turning it normally would leave it active (really odd i know but might be worth a shot!)

The car started fine with the spare key BTW.

my mum actually has to do that on her car, bend the key in to get the immobiliser to work. so its definatly worth a try!!

M

mini-valver

The red ot should go out after afew seconds, if it doesnt then its an immobilisor fault. You can reset it yourself by turning the ignition on and off a few times, opening the door, closing it, locking it, open it, close it, turn the key and wait a second and it should go out. Well, mine always has when it does it.

If the dot just flashes continuously, you have an earth fault.

Clio 172 cup
put the key in the ignition and while turning the key to start the engine press the button on the fob just ever so slightly. Should start first time......well it's worth a go. This works for me if the key sometimes doesn't disarm the immobilizer. This is because the solder inside the fob cracks giving a poor connection and slightly pressing the button tightens everyhing up inside the fob

Anyway just try it, might work, might not

Storm Grey 200
put the key in the ignition and while turning the key to start the engine press the button on the fob just ever so slightly. Should start first time......well it's worth a go. This works for me if the key sometimes doesn't disarm the immobilizer. This is because the solder inside the fob cracks giving a poor connection and slightly pressing the button tightens everyhing up inside the fob

Anyway just try it, might work, might not
+1

SQ5
Only just got in from work and need to rig up another car so mine will turn over at the minute. Few things to try there this weekend though

Cheers everyone :)

SQ5
Just looking at some other threads, could I get my ECU immobilser wiped off?

If so where and price?

SQ5
Number 5 fuse is fine
Key solder joints are all fine
Immobiliser light goes off after a couple of seconds of turning the key

Any more ideas lol!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Had very similiar symptons on a megane this week mate, Somewhere it has lost a power / earth, hence the code readers not connecting!!! Ours had a broken feed to the ECU! Was in the loom down by the rad, on a straight bit miles from anywhere!!! You need to get a wiring diagram and check feeds to the ecu firstly pal!!

SQ5
thats good news for me :p

Any pic of this location would be much help to save me titing around.

I'm guessing the loom for the meggy is basically the same?

Had it just broken then?

Mondeo TDCI 130
yes pal, it was an old school 8 valve megane, just very similiar symptoms!! I would guss you have a broken wire / crap connection somewhere!!

clio sport ph1 172
my ph1 wouldnt start it turned out to be a buggered relay under the bonnet the big yellow one changed that and she fired up first time, 2 months on and shes started a misfire at low revs or turning left, think my loom has a short in it somewhere but id say change your relay its only about a tenner see if that works.

SQ5
it's worth a try for that price, I'll take it off tonight and take it somewhere tomorrow.

mini-valver - Car will crank and can hear exhaust popping as if the air is coming through and out.

My car has always been on a flat surface through all this :(