ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wouldn't start and odd noise near drivers headlight???

Monaco 172
I've got a Ph II 172 that's just ticked over 56k. This morning the car wouldn't start. I've also been having the occasional problem getting the car to start after a long journey. This problem is something that i've seen in other threads and seems to be related to the starter motor overheating due to being so close to the exhaust manifold.

ANYWAY...the car wouldn't start this morning. Not really sure why. When i turned the key the car would cough a little but wouldn't flash up. This wasn't due to the immobiliser since the light did go out. When i got in from work i got some friends to give me a push and managed to start the car and went for a short drive. The car now seems to start fine (It's started the last 3 or 4 times i've tried at least!). So i'm not sure what to make of this problem and for the moment at least seems to have fixed itself.

However, i've now noticed an odd buzzing/rattling noise coming from the area behind the driver side headlight. This noise can be heard while the engine is running and while the key is in the ignition. I've read suggestions in a couple of other forums that it could be a problem with the aux belt, cam belt or alternatory pulley. Thing is, i had all three replaced by Rentech in June 2009 at about 50k.

Any ideas what could have caused the car to not start? Or what could cause that odd noise near the headlight? Or if the two could be connected?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

PH1 172 Sport
However, i've now noticed an odd buzzing/rattling noise coming from the area behind the driver side headlight. This noise can be heard while the engine is running and while the key is in the ignition. I've read suggestions in a couple of other forums that it could be a problem with the aux belt, cam belt or alternatory pulley. Thing is, i had all three replaced by Rentech in June 2009 at about 50k.

This is caused by the charcoal canister and is nothing to worry about.

Monaco 172
Phew! As long as it's nothing to do with Aux/Cam belts! Any idea on how to fix this? I just had another listen to it and it sounds more like a motor of some kind.

S3, Polo
This is caused by the charcoal canister and is nothing to worry about.

I don't know, but what makes you so certain?

The Internet said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A charcoal canister is a storage device in the evaporative emissions control system. It is a small cylindrical or rectangular container that contains activated charcoal particles. The charcoal traps gasoline vapors from the fuel tank (and carburetor on older vehicles). Later, the vapors are purged and drawn into the engine when the vehicle is being driven.[/FONT]

What components are there in a carbon canister that sound like a motor whirring?

To me, it sounds like a washer jet that is constantly running or a headlight adjuster motor that is faulty. Could it be either of these things?

I'm tempted to take your headlight out this weekend Ollie and see if the culprit becomes more obvious...

PH1 172 Sport

I don't know, but what makes you so certain?

What components are there in a carbon canister that sound like a motor whirring?

To me, it sounds like a washer jet that is constantly running or a headlight adjuster motor that is faulty. Could it be either of these things?

I'm tempted to take your headlight out this weekend Ollie and see if the culprit becomes more obvious...

There is a solenoid on top the the canister that operates to vent the fuel vapours into the inlet.

Monaco 172
Just to give this thread an update; the car started fine this morning! Seems like a really odd problem since it wouldn't start at all yesterday morning. Seems like the bump start has done the job but still, does anyone have any ideas why it didn't start before? My money is on the start motor jamming.

sounds like the automatic headlight adjuster motor to me... try unplugging it and see if the noise stops before you go to the trouble of removing the entire headlight. One of mine's been unplugged since i bought it.

PH1 172 Sport
If its a clicking noise it'll be the canister, if its a whirring noise then it'll be the headlight motor. If it only does it when the engine is running it could be belt related.

Volvo S60 T5
Alternator failing I expect.
You say your having trouble starting it, so I expect the alternator is not charging the battery and its basically located behind the headlight.

Monaco 172
I can hear the noise when the engine isn't running and when I've got the key in the ignition, so that rules out belts thank god!

My first thought was that the alternator could be the culprit but i wasn't sure if that explained why i mainly seem to have trouble starting straight after a long journey (or a journey long enough for the engine to get up to temperature).

The car started first time this morning and then started fine again when i left work. However, after driving for about 20 minutes from work back home i stopped for petrol. After filling up i had to give it 2 or 3 attempts before it started up again. So this follows the pattern of trouble starting after the engine has warmed up.

Could the temperature of the engine or the fact that it's been running for 20-30 minutes affect the alternator? Or any other part of the engine related to starting the engine?

Thanks for your input so far guys! :)