ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Bonnet - Lacquer fail?

bic

Land Rover Discovery
What's the update gents out of interest,are the defects getting worse ? Is it sun light related ?

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Ill get images of mine tomorrow, Ive not had any time to give them a call yet.

I have no idea of cause, at first I hoped it was just dirt but its in terrible condition now.

**Edit**

I see you are in Northampton, Im located in Corby, if you'd like to take a look I can pop over... Assuming you might know more about cause than me.

MODDED 172
I have this problem with my stick-on carbon fibre things that go just behind the driver and passenger windows. could be sun light related as where i park my car sun always is beaming on the one that is affected. Bic could it be moisture getting trapped under the lacquer, ie rained on first then the hot sun causing the whiteness, like the same with a coffee table when it has those white rings under the polish i know that is due to trapped moisture,

Skoda Fabia vRS
I hope you don't use the SRP after every wash?

If so, don't mention this to KTec as SRP contains cutting agents which will cut a layer of clearcoat (lacquer) off everytime you use it. Therefore after a lot of use the shine of the car is removed as there is less clearcoat.

Obviously KTec is using S H I T lacquer too but the SRP does not help either

SRP is really, really mild abrasive wise, you could use it 20 times and id doubt it would take even a micron away, SRP would not cause problems like this, on a scale of 1-10 id rate it 1 for its abrasiveness

Audi TT
I've sent another email but still no reply so that's emails sent on 1st July, 20th July and 10th August.

Mine looks an absolute abortion now and it is making me hate the car. Not even bothered washing it in over a month now as there's no point when the bonnet looks so rubbish.

Contemplating sticking the old scratched one back on as it looks loads better than this.

I just want it sorted but I don't want to pay a bodyshop to try and fix it only to have K-tec turn around and say it has to be sent back so manufacturer can see it :(

RB 200 Cup!
yeah tbh rign them and speak to a human being - surely you'd get a better answer than just by email?

bic

Land Rover Discovery
Drop over and let me see yes mate, this is gel coat remember not lacquer, basically a cheap one, hence low purchase cost of the part, not criticising but explaining reasons why.

Lacquering the gel coat may solve it, but you gave to remove the damaged gel coat resin first as it wontbe hidden just highlighted by the fresh coat of clear coat

get ontok ktec peeps surely, are the bonnets manufactured in the uk ?

Audi TT
Gonna have to but it's nice to have stuff in writing so to speak. Elliot has been the guy I've dealt with to date and has always been pretty good but not heard anything since initial email when he said would speak to the supplier.

Audi TT
Bic, you posted whilst I was typing. Any ideas how best for a bodyshop to remove the crap on mine before lacquering it?!?

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Gstar, I have just seen this thread. Can you send me the email, this time to info@k-tecracing.com and I will get this sorted for you.

It seems we had a couple of bonnets supplied that have done this and we are looking to get replacements from our supplier. If you can send me the details again I will see what we can do.

David.

Cooksport Fleet
K-Tec seem to be very good sorting out peoples problems with purchased goods, no matter how much they cost.

Thumbs up once again!

Audi TT
Several weeks on and still nothing resolved this end. Anyone else had any different responses from K-tec?

Last email I had said I would hear back on the tuesday after the BH. Nothing since.

Gonna get mine looked at by a bodyshop and see what the damage will be if they think it will be repairable.

G

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
From the looks of it it is certainly down to UV exposure. This is not inherent with wet lay clear coat carbon as you can get additives for the clear coat gel which we use on all of our CF panels. Hopefully K-tec will get this sorted for you shortly

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Several weeks on and still nothing resolved this end. Anyone else had any different responses from K-tec?

Last email I had said I would hear back on the tuesday after the BH. Nothing since.

Gonna get mine looked at by a bodyshop and see what the damage will be if they think it will be repairable.

G

No response for me since 18th August.

:(

Audi TT
Still nothing here. More than fed up with this now. On my days off this week am gonna get a quote from a bodyshop if it's even possible.

To be honest if I hadn't heard anything after a few days I would be on the phone chasing this up. You really shouldn't rely on emails as people can ignore/forget about them. If you want something doing quickly get on the phone and chase them day in day out.

You shouldn't have to pay more money to fix something that wasn't right in the first place.

Audi TT
The only benefit of emails is you have correspondence if things go sour for and have to resort to small claims, trading standards etc....

I'll get the quote and then ring them.

cant believe this has gone on so long and no one has just phoned them. jeez, its all emails nowadays lol. pick up the phone, get it sorted in 5 mins.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Hello Steven,

The good news is that we have a new bonnet being made for you but it will not be with us for 6 to 8 weeks. In the meantime you can do whatever you need to with the bonnet you have as we will not need this back.

Best regards,

Received today after I emailed.

Audi TT
Email from David also received here saying new one in 6-8 weeks. Seems bloody ages away but at least there's some kind of resolution in sight. No mention of what he wants me to do with the one that I have now.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
For those that may have sent an email and not had a reply please make sure the email is sent to info@k-tecracing.com . This is my personal email address and every single email received is replied to with 2-3 days without fail, even at weekends an bank holidays.

David.