ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Cannister Removal - Muppet Style!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Hi guys,

Currently trying to remove my carbon cannister (under drivers side wheel arch) because I think it's ticking (wanna rule out tappets), but having troubles getting the pipe (~7mm black plastic) off that attaches to the top (the one that runs towards the rear of the car). There was a little C clip that pinged off into the distance, but I can't seem to get the elbow connector to part company with the male bit on the top of the cannister! Any tricks/tips?!

Also, there is another similar pipe that fits into a 'plug' (about 30mm in diameter) that was in the top of the cannister. This one runs towards the engine. If I remove this one, I need to block it up rather than leaving it open, is that right?

Tried the search and found a few useful bits of info, but nothing conclusive and I don't wanna screw it up!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Adam

Westy. MX5
Easiest thing to do is cut the 2 pipes cleanly and join them together, the valve in the top of the cannister just pulls off, leave the 2 wires connected to valve and zip tie them to something solid, if you leave the wires undone you'll get the emmision light on.

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
You will still have the ticking noise as it's in the electrical part that comes off the canister why not just unplug it c if ticking stops then u have your answer instead of removing it all

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers for the replies - couple of things to confirm (mega muppet alert, sorry)...

- 'the breather' - which bit is that exactly?

Put my finger over the end of the canister plug last night and it was sucking away happily, this deadened the noise so I'm pretty sure that was the culprit. Wanna remove the canister anyway so I can get some brake ducting fitted.

Thanks chaps, I will have a go tonight..!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Thanks man!

However, being a n00b, I now have three parts I don't know the locations of (breather, MAP sensor and plenum)... :)

Anyone know if/where I can find an annotated diagram of the engine bay? Tried a search for various related things both here and Google but no joy... Managed to find this document: http://www.fastchip.nl/media/doc/clio2/F4R_730.pdf which helped a bit (schematic of the system in part 14) but nothing conclusive.

Thanks in advance - I know how frustrating it can be giving 'obvious' advice...

Westy. MX5
The layout in Part 14 is exactly what you have on your car. If you follow the 2 black pipes from the Carbon Canister, you will see one go to the left hand side of the Plenum chamber (Which is the top part of the inlet manifold. The other goes under the car floorpan to the fuel tank. You can either join the 2 pipes together and do away with the Carbon canister or plug the one that goes into the plenum chamber so vaccumn is maintained and route the fuel tank pipe so it vents the tank somewhere under the floorpan, away from hot bits like the exhaust.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Awesome, exactly what I was after, thanks dude!

Any advantage to either technique? I would have thought that if the pipe from the breather, if it needs to maintain a vacuum, should be plugged ideally? Since attaching it to the vent hose from the fuel tank would try and create a vacuum in the fuel tank?

Cheers!

Westy. MX5
If the car is off the road whilst you are doing other things then Save weight and cut & plug the pipe close to the plenum/top part of inlet manifold & cut the pipe back towards the tank. Thats the best way.

And why aren't you at the Briskoda meet at Castle Coombe in April? I'm there but taking the Cup for the track, that should please the Skoda boys:)

172 CUP
If the car is off the road whilst you are doing other things then Save weight and cut & plug the pipe close to the plenum/top part of inlet manifold & cut the pipe back towards the tank. Thats the best way.

And why aren't you at the Briskoda meet at Castle Coombe in April? I'm there but taking the Cup for the track, that should please the Skoda boys:)

LOL I should be going around with the skoda boys as well,my m8 has a vrs and theres a bit of competion going on LOL

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy

That's what I've done :) Made up some barbed plugs on my lathe and boshed them in. Was a pretty easy job in the end! Seems to be plenty of people on here who are able to help, but if there is anyone reading this and is after some help don't hesitate to PM me :)

Coombe is a bit of a trek from here unfortunately so I won't be going, and the Octy is a bit of a whale compared with the Clio - so like you I'd definitely take the Clio if I was to go!

Thanks again for the help people :cool:

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
It's only a trot down the M6, M5, M4.
True - see what I'm doing that weekend... can probably pop in and see some mates on the way, kill 2 birds etc!

Anyone else found their car feeling a fair bit slower after removing the canister, or is it just that the ECU needs some time to adjust? I noticed that the 'plug' in the top of the canister was already out so it seems that air has been getting sucked into the inlet manifold previously...

Also checked the resistance across the solenoid, its 23 Ohms, so will try and find a resistor of that size and bodge it 'a la airbag lights' - will post back in case the info is useful in future.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yeah, that's what I thought... Maybe I just had too much lunch yesterday and put on about 50kg :) Ah well, cage arrived today so that will make it feel slower in a straight line anyway...

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Haha. Well that's the only reason I can think of for it feeling slow. Maybe my butt dyno was in need of re-calibration :p

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
How quick is this carbon cannister ticking every second every three seconds or just random ticking ?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
I would guess about 3-4 times per second while the engine is idling...? Consistent rather than sporadic/random.

Last edited:
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Just sent dave172 some pics by PM, hopefully they may be of use for future...

Here is what you are looking for. 1 goes to the breather pipe on the inlet manifold (I think!), 2 faces downwards into the cannister (black, about the size of a brick). If you put your finger over 2 you can feel it 'sucking' and this is what I used to dampen the sound and check what it was:

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/car/clio/plug1.jpg

This is where you'll find it, approximately: (hole to the 'outside' is where the canister bolts in, from memory):

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/car/clio/can1.jpg

Hose runs from 1 to 2, if you remove the canister you need to plug up 2.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/car/clio/can2.jpg

There is also a black plastic pipe (thin walled, approx 6mm diameter) that runs under the car from the fuel tank, you need to plug this off too and ideally route it away from anything hot!

Pretty sure that's all correct, if someone needs to correct me please do so!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Just sent dave172 some pics by PM, hopefully they may be of use for future...

Here is what you are looking for. 1 goes to the breather pipe on the inlet manifold (I think!), 2 faces downwards into the cannister (black, about the size of a brick). If you put your finger over 2 you can feel it 'sucking' and this is what I used to dampen the sound and check what it was:

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/car/clio/plug1.jpg

This is where you'll find it, approximately: (hole to the 'outside' is where the canister bolts in, from memory):

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/car/clio/can1.jpg

Hose runs from 1 to 2, if you remove the canister you need to plug up 2.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/car/clio/can2.jpg

There is also a black plastic pipe (thin walled, approx 6mm diameter) that runs under the car from the fuel tank, you need to plug this off too and ideally route it away from anything hot!

Pretty sure that's all correct, if someone needs to correct me please do so!

Thanks again mate :approve: