ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

carbon fibre

planning on making some stuff out of fibreglass. while trying to find cheap places for materials i found carbon fibre mats, for use like the glassfibre mats.

has anyone ever used this stuff? was thinking to build up glass fibre mats, then have a layer or two carbon on top. then finish in lacquer. if that will work. anyone know?

thanks

Im not sure you can get a good bond between carbon fibre and fibre glass also the properties of the two materials will probably lead to unequal increases in size when changes in temp occures leading to the two materials separating again.

Also carbon fibre and fibre glass arnt the easiest of material to use. on there own mixing them is more trouble.

EDD

from what i can gather the curing process of carbon fibre is the problem, but as i dont need to use its strength qualities then i dont need to worry too much about that. bit expensive just for the look though. there is a carbon and kevlar mix which is a lot cheaper though.

thing is the shape is going to have to be perfect before i put the carbon on, because i wont be able to fill it later!

ill probably just stick to my first plan and forget the carbon as it will be expensive to mess up. would look nice though.

If its not done correctly ie cured it wont look as good IMO

Carbon fibre is an amazing material but it has its fair share of probelms and getting involved isnt easy.

EDD

williams and trophy

i agree with edde there

iv got approx 40 square metres of the stuff and all the attempts ive had at makin sh*t out of it has bin more miss than hit if u know wot i mean.

v hard stuff to work with and get good results/finishes

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 15 December 2003

You need an autoclave
Opps forgot about needing one of those.

O ye and I also forgot there problems getting the full potential strenght out of it cos its such a difficult material to use. Even the aircraft manurfactures dislike using it, and light weight and strenght structures are then key to selling aircraft which carbon fibre is excellent at giving you.

EDD