ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Castle Combe Race

Turbos.
We arrived at Combe with a slim lead in the championship, feeling a little ill-prepared as our previous experience totalling a few laps in a 1.6 Focus. We had a day's testing, a blank day before Saturday's qualifying and Sunday's race.

Unlike most tracks, Combe has no pit garages so we had a fancy arrangement attached to the truck. We were to be joined by another Elise later on.
P1060842.jpg

The weather started dry, and in the first 15 minute session i managed to get a decent time. Things were looking promising, until the heavens opened!

I suddenly had a water temp warning light. The radiator was punctured so a change was needed pronto. We were worried about the how the engine would cope with going over max heat, but it seemed OK in the wet weather after the change.

P1060861.jpg

The rest of the day was pretty greasy, in the afternoon we were one of about four cars that bothered to go out!

P1060849.jpg

P1060847.jpg

My dad was caught out with not enough brake bias to compensate, but came away unscathed. It left the boys with a bit of a clean up though!

P1060866.jpg

P1060860.jpg

The next day was a public track day. We ruled it out on noise, but many Britcar entrants used it as a test day by using supertrap sound mufflers. The back pressure issues meant a Civic's engine blew! I was glad we didn't bother... but the other Elise did.

P1060862.jpg

P1060912.jpg

P1060911.jpg

Annoyingly, our biggest competitor (black BMW) was faster than us by a couple of seconds. All we could do was watch on for the rest of the day.

P1060869.jpg

P1060868.jpg

P1060871.jpg

P1060893.jpg

P1060901.jpg

P1060900.jpg

P1060893.jpg

P1060906.jpg

P1060907.jpg

P1060908.jpg

On Saturday, it was a glorious day of sunshine. We were itching to get on track for the warm up. Disaster struck though, the previous wet weather masked the engine's true state of health. Water temp went too high and we had no choice... we had to change the engine before qualifying.

The boys did a sterling job, putting the spare engine (a lower powered and higher revving 1.8), but didn't finish until mid-way through quali.

P1060918.jpg

P1060921.jpg

P1060925.jpg

P1060926.jpg

We studied our notes and looked to see who we could beat after our woeful times in warm up.

P1060855.jpg

P1060924.jpg

We managed to do a few laps each and managed to put her 2nd in class behind the aforementioned BMW. Relief!

P1060930.jpg

A celebratory race driver diet...

P1060851.jpg

So. The race. We were pretty pumped up we could do well, looking at the datalogging my dad and I were quicker at different places, so if we corrected our mistakes a mid-1m10s lap was on.

I opted to start, but it had to be my worse to date! At the first chicane the other Elise turned in on me. There didn't appear to be any damage, but a few cars slipped past. It then took a turn for the worse as a BMW locked up and took me out at the second chicane.

Some stills from the video footage...

P1060937.jpg

P1060938.jpg

P1060939.jpg

What i didn't know was that the right front disc was now touching the wishbone. I entered the last corner with no brakes, and promptly came into the pits. After some poking around i was sent on my way again, two laps down.

The braking was frankly scaring, changing the brake bias made no difference so i resorted to pumping the brakes and doubling brake distance. I started to get into a comfortable rythm at 2 seconds slower than my qualifying time.

I then handed over to my dad who didn't last long. The suspension collapsed on him at the same turn that the crash happened. We retired, but since we did most of the race we were registered as finished... last place!

Back in the pits the damage was pretty obvious!

P1060936.jpg

P1060932.jpg

To think we were tanking it around with a sheared ball joint was a bit scary! Overall, we were gutted we couldn't make the most of the weekend after another miserable outing at Spa beforehand.

So thats it... hopefully the next round at Snetterton will go better, we're certainly due some luck!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Making fires with 20£ notes then! I remember those days.

Never knew you actually raced!...Thought it was ur old boy!

Turbos.
No we share...the whole point of Britcar, 90min races! Superkarts were there actually, funny little things!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Saw you there today, car definately looked the part until the issues you mentioned!

A few retirements though so you weren't on your own and even the guy leading the race for all but the last lap had problems :rolleyes:

Looks to be a very good race series though and one i've not seen in person before but will definately keep an eye out :cool:

Have to say definately one of the best starting grids of ever seen there :D

182cup & 172 racecar
I was with the BPM boys again today,saw the car in the paddock in that sorry state.I did shout HELLO but there was nobody around to say Hi to,next time.

Cooksport Fleet
Well, i did a 1.22.8 in my stock hatch. And i was doing 1.15's in my 197 cup car at combe.

I was there today at combe, was it using different tyres or something?

P1060932.jpg

To think we were tanking it around with a sheared ball joint was a bit scary! Overall, we were gutted we couldn't make the most of the weekend after another miserable outing at Spa beforehand.

So thats it... hopefully the next round at Snetterton will go better, we're certainly due some luck!

Some of the euro/dub guys would cut their arm off for suspension like that!

LOL, sorry buddy. I wear glasses and am very good looking... catch up with you some other time.

Saw you today during the open grid at lunchtime, figured it was you straight away but you were in conversation with someone so left you to it. Took some static shots of your motor instead :)

Got a few pics of you on track, obviously. I was still in Ibiza at 6am this morning though so was a bit of a rush to make it down there for the race. Will sort/upload pics when I've finally had my first sleep since Friday.

Turbos.
Cool... you should of butted in mate, wouldn't have minded! Was looking out for you... bit hard when i had no idea what you looked liked ;)

No,driver owners but I dont think they do that much.

They're very gentlemanly lets put it that way! The car is also a 24hr endurance race so only really competitive where it can out stint and out last the competition. It has a 120L fuel tank for a start!

Despite qualifying last (having never driven the Clio at Combe before) we finished 18th overall and third out of the championship cars in our class. So a 16 place gain from the starting position. Out total race down time was 91.7 seconds..... the mandatory stop length is 90 seconds!

Cheers
M

Turbos.
Yeah, not good, but in all fairness it was down to the rad. We now have a set the warning light to come up at a lower temperature that might save the engine in future.

Ouch, quite a hit there. What did you think of the circuit generally, when the car was running ok? I always hear that the crowd is significantly bigger than most circuits for 'club' events, but as I'm used to it I've never really taken much notice.

Turbos.
The guy blamed his brakes, but the reality is he is known for not warming up tyres or brakes. At Silverstone he slammed into into the wall on the first lap...

Some people there were saying they didn't like Combe, but i actually really liked it. I was confident going into the race so it was a shame i didn't get an opportunity to show what the car could do, especially as some CSers were there!

It is not often we are grouped with the GT cars, so the grid was pretty impressive. I'd rather all races were like that.

Yes, the crowd was a big suprise! Normally its friends and family only at our events really, so it was nice to feel like a pro for a day. I was even asked for an autograph LOL!

182cup & 172 racecar
Can't even see how the BMW managed to squeeze past,he must of just missed the barrier on the right coming into the esses.

Turbos.
Drifto!

PJC_3201W.jpg

I went off at Quarry after going back out on track with no front right brakes. I had to trail brake to the apex in order to make it round corners. A guy in a BMW 130 spun in front of me (my precious braking zone) which meant i had to take the escape route! I'm sure the crowd were waiting for a crash-bang-wollop...

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
I just love that Elise. Looks so menacing. Is your front splitter mounted to the undertray?

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
Thanks. Yes, it is part of one large piece for the front of the car, connected to a flat floor.

Nice

I was out looking at this the other day:
http://ljbiler.dk/2805.cms?id=774500554

Going for a testdrive tomorrow. Hopefully it will replace the Rush soon. The Rush is in the shop right now, as i had a minor incident with a roundabout, but i got an interested buyer, and hopefully it is sold by the time i get it back.
The Elise is pretty much standard spec, apart from the Motorsport kit. But that should give room for some improvements. :D

Seat Leon Supercopa
Well, i did a 1.22.8 in my stock hatch. And i was doing 1.15's in my 197 cup car at combe.

I was there today at combe, was it using different tyres or something?

Ah! Glad you posted :)
We wondered what a std 197 cup racer pace would be round combe. Having now had a go round it 1:15 seems pretty sensible.

We are heavier with the big tank etc and our Dunlops aren't quite as sticky as the Mich's but we really ought to be a bit quicker!

It's a brilliant track - I'm really glad to have gone there. It's all about managing the bumps I reckon. We were a bit diasappointed with the time as we felt that an 18 was out there, but hey - there's always next year!

It's Snett next, what kind of time do you get there? :)

O.

Seat Leon Supercopa
Bad Luck Eng,
I saw the car come in early, but couldn't see what was up.
I hadn't realised you'd had so much trouble in the build up!
I know Synchro were on engine 3 of the weekend when the race started!!

Catch you at Snett

O.

Seat Leon Supercopa
wtf was that bmw playing at?

stewards blind at combe?

It was quite friendly at times! We seem to have some paint on the Clio that's not ours! This was unusual tho, as GT's and Production were on track at the same time.....some big speed differences there!

We're used to Eng's Lotus and the CSL belting past but this time there was a whole lotta traffic!