ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caught speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Need some advice.

This morning was driving down the M3 at 2:55. was doing around about 90 when i noticed a car catch me up really fast. So stupid me goes flat out for another mile going up to like 115. Pull in coz this car look pretty close only for them to go past and put the blue lights on a pull me over on the hard shoulder.

Got out the car and he asked me to sit in there traffic car. Now they said all the usually like do u no the speed limit blah blah. then he wrote me a 7 dat wonder but didnt give me a ticket for the speeding.. They didnt show me the video and i only signed the producer ticket. Also he said that he was 50metres away from me which doing 100 in the rain surly isnt a safe stopping distance.

I know i was in the wrong speeding in the first place but i would rather get home quick than fall asleep at the wheel as i was well tiered.

Anyone got any advice for me as they said im probably looking at a years ban. This is my first driving offence if thats anything.

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

just wondered mate! cos i reckon they would of when someone is speeding and especially when its that late at night! i know you wouldnt be silly enough to drink and drive

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

erm if u only signed the 7 day producer, and they didnt give u anythign else, surely u got away with it???

otherwise they wud have doen somethign on the spot ie, issues points etc.....??

over 100 is an auto ban i think, but saying that i was once stopped at 115 and got away with it coz some poor tw*t had a crash just as i was pulled, so the copper ran to my car and said "its your lucky day sir ive just been called to a bump" close or what ?

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Lucky.

You said its an auto ban like he said to me but how do they process it. surly i should of signed something or been issued with a ticket.

He said to me that they isnt a fine or points as over 100 is an auto ban!

But i was sure that you are supposed to be issued with a speeding ticket or do they type it in there computer on something? They didnt really answer any of my questions

did they not say that you will be going to court for this?

i got caught doing 125 on M25 late one evening, ended up going to court couple of months later, got 9 points and £900 fine plus £30 costs, have to be careful for another couple of years yet. first time speeding, only kept my licence cos i drove a van as part of my job,

all cases are dependent on how a magistrate (if you go to court) views the circumstances and what side of the bed they woke up on, (or so i was told by a solicitor)

i gave a letter from my boss on court day saying i had been spoken too and that i needed my licence for my job, else i wouldnt have a job! didnt have a solicitor present, and apologised greatly!

and pleading guilty helps and actually turning up to the court does too!

but thinking about it i had exactly same thing no breath test, no vid no nothing, have heard about loopholes about not been shown vid, contact a solicitor in yellow pages who deals with motoring convictions, speak to them, they give free advice most of them, best to talk to someone whos knows than to get loads of opinions from wrong people.

all i can say really, good luck!

if it gets that far!?

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Hi.

Did u get a ticket when they pulled you?

Thing is i sometimes need my car for work but i dont drive a company vehicle. My director would definatly write me a letter saying i need my licence. Im going to speak to someone on tuesday and see what they say to me!

He did say somethign about court so does that mean they will contact me in a few weeks with a court date?

i honestly cant remember now, it was almost 2 years ago,

i think the only thing i got was a producer, and yeah sounds like you will hear from them, think mine took about 3 weeks to come through so would contact a few lawyers first

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

How S%$t is that! Im going to speak to someone as the only reason i went faster was to open up a gap fromt hem as they were well close!

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

there right, when I got pulled I didnt have my paper counterpart and I was real far from home going to the south coast so the cop said something like " you cant produce it within 7 days so it will go to court" any way I didnt sign nothing and it was a good 3 months later I got a letter through telling me of the court date.

Quote: Originally posted by tom-m on 10 April 2004

How S%$t is that! Im going to speak to someone as the only reason i went faster was to open up a gap fromt hem as they were well close!
wont work, and def dont tell them that you were really tired and wanted to get home, it was a stupid thing to do, so was mine you, buts whats done is done, if someone is really close its no reason to go above the speed limit of that road! and isnt the M3 3 lanes?, you just had to pull over, its exactly what they will say!

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

So looks like im getting a ban then! He said it could be anything from a month to a year! I cant deal with not having my car for a year. Guess thats the price you pay! Anyone interested in a valver? :(

BMW 320d Sport

Following this thread, Im still a bit unclear about a few things:

What *exactly* did you sign to? A 7 day wonder asking you to show your licence, insurance etc at a police station, or a notice asking you to surrender your licence? Or a speeding ticket where by signing you are admitting the offence on the ticket?

Do they mention any form of video or photographic evidence? Did you ask?

Did you mention any speed that you might have been doing or give any excuses? (BTW you shouldnt have done, best is to say youre not sure how fast you were going).

not looking good mate, you dont have to sign anything therer and then, you will get a court summons in the post, id come uo with some sh*t about neediun the car for work, driving your blind and deaf gran to the shops etc otherwise you wil be banned, over 100mph will be classed as dangerous driving also

as i said speak to a solicitor, see what you can find on the non-show of video stuff, i have heard people getting off beacuse computers were not calibrated and such!, who knows may be some hope!

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Nike. Dint really say much to them at all just that i didnt knopw how fast i was going.

I only signed the 7 day producer and i wasnt issued anything else. Went to the police station and showed my licence mot and insurance docs. They had the video on record when i was sitting in the car but they didnt play it back to me.

Clean: Yer thats what im thinking. Just need to find an old blind def girl now!

Mech: Yer i have heard about the calibration thing before. Im going to ask for the video as the onyl reason y i went faster, pushing me over the 100 was that the poice car was well close to me int he conditions!

Embarrassed to say

I think they bloody provoked you. On a rainy night right up your ass, in the interests of safety i think it was bloody reasonable to pull ahead but perhaps more reasonable to let the guy go by.

In the circumstances I think they didnt mention anything about the speeding offense because basically they made you commit the crime thus they gave you a producer to safe face.

Call me crazy but im not even sure the court will be involved. I mean hows it going to look in court - me an sergeant so and so got right up this blokes ass at an illegal distance etc etc.

Alfa Mito 155TB

They would of told you of their intention to prosecute you for speeding and they would of gave you a caution in the car...the producer is your get out of jail free card :)

erm yea not sure wot other ppl have wrote but....

You can go on, u felt intemdidated by the fact that he was right up your arse, as he did not produce video evidence probs means he hasnt got it, which is in your favour and if he has then its also in your favour as it should show u driving perfectly safely other than speeding ;) but with him up oyur arse!

and!!! the fact that he didnt pull you over sooner i.e. when u were doing 85/90 is in your favour because even tho you didnt pull over into another lane, you felt you "paniced" thus going faster because u had some1 up your arse in other words, as he let u continue speeding is entrapment.

conclusion: not a chance in hell your gonno get off, but if you put other these facts clearly but in a deffensive manner rather than attacting you should be able to get the judge to go in your favour, points & maybe half the ban your looking at.

also if they say they will do you for "driving with out due care and concern", as you might be able to get one ova on them with the "temidating factor" then in your defence he should have breathlised you!!

Now this might seem bullsh*t to alot of you but u would be surprised wot you can get away with if you put your case forward in a structured manner, i would even go as far to consult solicter. anything is worth a try dont give up! i wouldnt i wouldnt wanna get banned :cry:

Just wondering if there were 2 police officers in the car that stopped u... if there is no video evidence and there was only one cop.. they cannot support the case?.. but 2 cops and your not gonna have a leg to stand on even without the video...as they have each other to back up what they witnessed.

Ever wished you woke up and this was just a bad dream? Good luck mate.....I cant imagine how stressed out u must be tho !! How about a name change and plastic surgery!?? I might know someone! ; )

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

:( unlucky m8, i feel really sorry for u, because i -along with many other people on this site, have been over 100 many times and uve just been 1 of the unlucky 1s!

wot im about to say does not in any way help yor cause but,..... isnt the system a b*tch? u were on a 3-lane road at nearly 3am and they pull u for doing "oooh over 100!" wat w*nkers... go out and catch some real criminals! for a start, u were only putting ureself in danger as there cant have been that many people on the road at that time in the morning, and secondly, u were just having some fun wen the roads were empty! i know the law is the law, but come on! we were travelling back from dover to cardiff this afternoon and saw quite a few speeders (we were among of them) andthere must have been about 30 people on the 4hr journey doing over 100mph at some stage (as they were stayin wit us at 100+) some of these people were tailgating at that speed aswell, and i mean, ure driving offence cannot even compare in danger with tailgating at 100+... so wot do they get?- £10,000 fine and a 10 year sentence... wouldnt suprise me these days... f*cking germans

:devilish:

i support the police on the steets in town arresting the drunken fools and going round looking after stuff, but wot i dont see the point in is traffic cops driving around at 3am... sad acts

-phil- (ANGRY!)

Quote: Originally posted by Saner on 10 April 2004

Am I right that Cop Cars arent Allowed to speed without the Blues And Twos on?
Doesnt stop them round my end. The coppers from my local station go belting down the 30mph dual carriageway at 50mph and break hard for the Truvelo speed camera before speeding up again. Hypocrites.

Sorry to hear about this mate.

I always thought anything over a hundred was an automatic ban.

Was this an under cover cop then? If so, wot was the car?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

About 6 years ago I got caught by a radar gun doing 32mph in a 30mph zone. 3 points. How harsh was that? I still have the ticket at home. Then a week later I got caught in the exact same place doing 37mph.

The policeman who stopped me the first time was a right arse. I said to him that it was my first offence and could he not be a bit lenient, and he wrote on the producer Tried to bribe officer !!

Then that same week I was stopped by the same T5 but a different driver, yet the guy who pulled me over the week before was in the passenger seat. The driver asked my name and I said Ask your mate, he pulled me last week for the same petty reason Didnt go down too well. Passenger cop claimed he thought I would have learned by then. Yeah, one week.

Anyway, what I was gonna say was my mate got caught on the M6 doing 130mph in a Punto GT Turbo by undercover cops in an unmarked Omega Elite. They were just about to ban him there and then and another car flew past doing well over a ton and hit the central reservation! My mate simply drove off as the police were far too occupied elsewhere by then. Bit of good luck for him, but not for the poor guy who hit the reservation.

I hope you get some good luck too, bud. What goes around, comes around, so eventually things will clear up! :D

Willy2

on the producer what reason did they tick, there is three boxes, stopcheck, offence and RTA, if they ticked offence chances are you are going to court, did they do a PNC check on your car? AND did they move the camera so you were recorded on the video?

The way the MET process these cases is to report it via a Process book, where they send it to their Criminal justice unit and they process the book and issue a Summons, you should get a court case within 2 months.

One more thing did the officer say "Im reporting you for Excess SPeed or dangerous driving! Do you have anything to say?"

TBH the issuing of a FPN or Fixed Penalty Notice is only for cases just over ACPO guidelines, the MET issue these up to 100MPH generally! And then report you over 100mph(which means court)

Ive not read everyones posts, so sorry if I repeat some info.

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but it is normal procedure to give you a producer and report you for an offence.

Did he caution you or warn you that he is going to report you for the offence of exceding the speed limit on the motorway or something similar? 96mph on a motorway is usually a mandatory sommons to court. If he didnt then he was possibly in a good mood and you may just get away with the producer. If he did then you have received your NIP and will get a summons to court through in the post within the next 6 months. Check all the details, if there is anything wrong then you may have a get out.

To the best of my knowledge he doesnt have to show you the video evidence in his car, you will be given to opportunity to request a copy for yourself if you are summoned to court. He will have to prove to the court that it was recorded legally, ie that it was callibirated and used in accordance with the rules.

Likewise, to the best of my knowledge he doesnt have to breathalise you unless he suspects you had been drinking/were drunk, thats one of the reasons you are made to sit in their car co they can watch your behaviour/smell any alcohol.

It doesnt matter that he was on his own. If he has the correct equipment to record your speed, and so long as he has used it correctly and within the guidelines its all legal. 2 policemen would be required to coroborate each others opinion that you were exceeding the limit if they didnt use any monitoring equipment. Like many of the other old wives tales you hear about what they can and cant do, must have their hat on etc, most are rubbish.

I think the best advice is probably to get some legal advice. Remember that his pursit of your car will likely be recorded on his video equipment (from the moment he saw you), so be careful before making any accusations of him pressuring you into driving faster and commiting a speeding offence.

And I doubt youd get a years ban, more like 2 - 3 months.

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Been out allday sorry if i miss anything out.

Rajk. No he only cautioned me about the producer. Didnt say anything about reporting me for excess speeding or dangerous speeding. He did say something about a court date but i wasnt really listening as i was slightly annoyed.

illusion. No i was a massive estate bmw all stickered up but coz no lights on that part of the M3 and not many cars i didnt even see it.

saner. I though the same. they were following me for 3 miles he said so he must have been speeding for the same amount of time then when i pulled in he over took and pulled in infront of me and started braking.

V6ing: Not there were two of them mate!

kingJimBob: Thats the story im going to go with. Sorry if that offends anyone but i know i was in the wrong and saying i was tired is no excuse.

Tumbleweed: I hope so mate but im not going to get my hopes up!

Thanks for all the replys ppl!

Tom-m

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

think i posted mate time as you mate.

He didnt caution me for the speeding and he didnt really mention it. they just ran a name and car cheak on me and wrote the ticket and asked did i know the speed on the motorway!

Im going to ask to see the video evidence before court and try and prove he was at aan unsafe distance from my car which he said to me he was. 50meters at 100 in the rain isnt save. I know this isnt going to get me off but i need my car. Feel lost without it.

IIRC rough stopping distance is 1 metre = 1mph under 50 and more over 50! so the distance at 100 should of been at least 100 metres!

how long you been driving? if its under 2yrs then id say your gona get a ban! your only allowed 6 points in the first 2 years

Elise/VX220/R26

If you aint signed anything or been cautioned about the speeding offemse m8 you arent gonna get done. If they were gonne do you for speeding they would tell you exactly where they got you, what speed you were doing, lectures you then effectively arrest you ( do the "Im cautioning you for the offense of speeding etc"

I agree with Jonnyboy, if youre certain youve not been reported or cautioned then you have nothing to worry about as youve got away with it. Wait and see what comes in the post.

If you do end up going to court I wouldnt try it on with the stopping distance issue unless you get a solicitor who is certain that you will win. I assume that at 2.55 inthe morning on the M3 there was pretty much no traffic, the court will argue that you should have continued at the speed limit or slowed down. Remember also that stopping distances are only guides whereas speed limits are the law. Its also likely that it will be argued that the police officer is a highly trained and experienced pursuit driver and that he is able to say what is safe, and you are not. To argue with a court in such circumstances is asking to have your punishment increased.

On a positive note, about 3 years ago a friend of mine was stopped on his motorbike for speeding on the M4 near the M25 turn off. The copper had followed him for over 2 miles at an average speed of 104 mph. He was cautioned, got a copy of the video evidence (which kept us ammused for weeks) and waited for the summons to appear, but it never happened. He never heard anything else from the police or the CPS about it!