ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CCNA Course

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
I need to know what I'm Getting myself into!!

Ive been invited to an Open/Clearing Day and London Met, where I plan to learn a little more about the course before I decide whether to take it on or not.

Anyway I wanted to know if any of you tell me your thoughts about the course?!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Not too difficult I've been told, got friends who have done it just from buying the book and reading it, then playing with a simulator.

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Not too difficult I've been told, got friends who have done it just from buying the book and reading it, then playing with a simulator.

Wow.

Thats what i call dedication! How long did it take them?

Octy VRS
Go for it. People with Cisco qualifications are a lot harder to get hold of than MS.

Black 172 FF
Im doing a CCNA not hard but be prepared to be able to take in alot of knowledge that you need to remember :approve:

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Im starting Semester 3 soon.

1 + 2 are quite easy. Just a lot of info to take in as mentioned.

Have a look on ebay + Borders books. There are some really usefull cheap CDs with examples or training.

CCNA Simplified (i think) is a handy book. I picked that up from my local Borders.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
i found 1 & 2 ok, the 1st one is fairly easy, if you don't really grasp it after the 1st semester then its not for you

my instructor put a massive emphasis on semester 2 being alot harder than semester 1, but it wasn't actually that bad

you have to keep playing with the simulator and things to keep it fresh in your mind as its pretty easy to forget things.

its a good course though and i'd definately recommend it

MKIII 138
i have a CCNA

the final exam is a bit tough.

dont think you can walk into any networking job with that piece of paper, you need experience just like everything else.

it will show you the basics but every network is different.

in currently working in VOIP using cisco callmanagers and also cisco wireless using cisco WLAN`s, Radius server, WLC`s

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Young Lew

Are you doing CCNA at Coventry Uni by any chance?

no i did it at tile hill college, and i'll be doing semester 3 at the new city college in hillfields

meggerman, we have a Cisco WLAN controller where i work and have 20 Aironet 1131 AG wireless points running off it, its a good piece of kit

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
i have a CCNA

the final exam is a bit tough.

dont think you can walk into any networking job with that piece of paper, you need experience just like everything else.

it will show you the basics but every network is different.

in currently working in VOIP using cisco callmanagers and also cisco wireless using cisco WLAN`s, Radius server, WLC`s

i found 1 & 2 ok, the 1st one is fairly easy, if you don't really grasp it after the 1st semester then its not for you

my instructor put a massive emphasis on semester 2 being alot harder than semester 1, but it wasn't actually that bad

you have to keep playing with the simulator and things to keep it fresh in your mind as its pretty easy to forget things.

its a good course though and i'd definately recommend it

How basic is the 1st unit?

Am I right in saying that you learn the basics of networking (the different networking methods, how LANs and WANS work ect ect)??

Facelift R53 Cooper S
it is pretty basic, you learn about LANS, WANS, it brushes very briefly on Wireless LANS, you learn Subnet Masking, the different ethernet topologys and protocols, you learn about TCP/iP communication and the 7 layer OSI model.

it sounds alot but it is explained very well and is very eye-opening as you learn how most devices communicate at different layers and using different protocols

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
it is pretty basic, you learn about LANS, WANS, it brushes very briefly on Wireless LANS, you learn Subnet Masking, the different ethernet topologys and protocols, you learn about TCP/iP communication and the 7 layer OSI model.

it sounds alot but it is explained very well and is very eye-opening as you learn how most devices communicate at different layers and using different protocols

Well thats put my mind to rest. For some reason I thought I'd have to be a networking genius to do this course.

Rav4
Lets see how I get on tomorrow and then maybe we can walk into the same course holding hands hahahhahahahaa

Would make studying easier !

Well thats put my mind to rest. For some reason I thought I'd have to be a networking genius to do this course.

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Lets see how I get on tomorrow and then maybe we can walk into the same course holding hands hahahhahahahaa

:dapprove: Not sure about the holding hands part lol but yeah I think it would make studying easier!!

Whats so important about 2mar & if you do decide to come to london, will you be comming to the open day at London Met??

Clio F1 R27
Hi,

I have been in data networking for many years and amongst others have worked for two major isp's on core mpls and ip networks. My recommendation to anyone attemping a career in this field is to first learn about networking before trying to pass CCNA.
The CCNA exam is based on alot of dated/legacy technology and only really skims the surface of real ip networking. CCNA does little to explain the proper workings of ip networks and does more to confuse a novice than actually teach them what they need to know.
You should definately aim to pass this exam and further to CCNP or CCIE, but take it from me you'd be better reading industry recognised material which will help you understand internetworking more accurately and then go back and conquer the b**ch that is CCNA.

Here are some recommendations....

Buy the following books and read them cover to cover -

Internetworking with TCP/IP, 3rd Edition
TCP/IP Illustarated
Internet Routing Architetures, 2nd Edition
CCIE Professional Development - Cisco LAN Switching
CCIE Professional Development - Routing TCP/IP Volume I, 2nd Edition

Buy yourself a Cisco 837 DSL router, learn how to configure and connect it to your DSL internet connection (£100 on ebay)
Buy yourself a few Cisco 2610's and learn how to configure protocols properly (£75 each on ebay)

There is no substitute for the real hardware, all of the simulators I have ever come across are a load of crap. Without debugging what is the point? (with the exception of Dynamips which offers a Cisco kernel and allows you to load actual Cisco code onto the the sim).

Another recommendation is CBT Nuggets courses. They are computer based and cost around £40 per cert. The guy that delivers the courses is second to none and makes everything so easy to understand.

I hope this helps in your quest. Understanding is the art, without that you will lose direction very quickly.

Drop me an email with any questions. I really think you'd get more out of a CBT Nuggets CD and some cheap home lab kit than sims or expensive courses!

Cheers.

Rav4
Teasing about holding hands, getting bored!

Yap will come to the London Met to check it out :)

Will let you know thursday about tomorrow, woooooop

:dapprove: Not sure about the holding hands part lol but yeah I think it would make studying easier!!

Whats so important about 2mar & if you do decide to come to london, will you be comming to the open day at London Met??

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Hi,

I have been in data networking for many years and amongst others have worked for two major isp's on core mpls and ip networks. My recommendation to anyone attemping a career in this field is to first learn about networking before trying to pass CCNA.
The CCNA exam is based on alot of dated/legacy technology and only really skims the surface of real ip networking. CCNA does little to explain the proper workings of ip networks and does more to confuse a novice than actually teach them what they need to know.
You should definately aim to pass this exam and further to CCNP or CCIE, but take it from me you'd be better reading industry recognised material which will help you understand internetworking more accurately and then go back and conquer the b**ch that is CCNA.

Cheers.

I wouldnt say i was a complete novice as I already know the basics of networking.

Anyway you might come in handy in the future lol!

Thanks for the advice :)

Good Good. Hope to see you there then!

Clio F1 R27
I wouldnt say i was a complete novice as I already know the basics of networking.

Cool even if you're not a novice, I would highly recommend you get your own kit at home and buy some proper books from renowed authors who explain everything from the ground up.

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio

Cool even if you're not a novice, I would highly recommend you get your own kit at home and buy some proper books from renowed authors who explain everything from the ground up.

Doesnt seem like a bad idea!

Clio F1 R27

Doesnt seem like a bad idea!

Honestly mate I've been through the nightmare of CCNA and other Cisco certs. I enjoy sharing knowledge, especially to fellow RenaultSport peeps! Go check out CBT Nuggets on the web and if you have adsl at home I would seriously recommend getting a 2nd hand Cisco adsl router like the 837. You will then be tapping straight into the net and doing it straight from an IOS based router.

Let me know if you need to know anything dude :0)

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Gabi_Cav,

Today is the day man!!!!!

You C'min London or Not?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
lol I will get a call later, hopefully, wednesday went well :)

You could say that.

Good new is that I definatley want to do it!

The Bad news is that I'm going to have to put it on Hold! One of the Tutors said that doing both courses might be a lil too much for me & that I should try to find a college/Uni that teaches both. Unfortunatley I have been unable to find a Uni/College that teaches both :(

Looks like I'll be doing the HNC course 1st :|

Rav4
how long did it take you and how hard was it, do you feel it was defo worthwhile?

Well done :)

rich[182];3144684 said:
Just got my CCNP but have been looking into the revised CCNA for some of the team at work, it appears to have changed somewhat since I took it, looks like theres now 2 exam paths too

The Cisco press official books are well recommended

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...books&field-keywords=ccna&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Are there any Londoners on this course?

If so, Where are you studing?

I need to find somewhere quicktime!

Shed.
im aiming to do the course next year. I know basic s**t, like how to build computers and can maintain them as far as a single computer is concerned. however when it comes to networking i only know the basics. i do enjoy computers but ive been told the course is about as exciting as watching the scottish play football.