ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

central jacking point

ValverInBits
I havent had my 172 for long but I hate jacking it up. There doesent seem to be a good central jacking point to stick a trolley jack under, so i seem to have to do it one side at a time.

Has anyone found a good strong central jacking point under the front of the car so that it can be just jacked up in the middle and stuck on stands?

Theres no decent jacking points on it. The sill just f**king crumples do it on the body that crumpels whats best is to use a trolley jack with a large surface area.

Lionel Richie
just jack it off the chassis rails under the car, it lifts the whole side up so both wheels are off the ground

I just use a trolley jack on the rear beam, and the cills on the front, but you have to be so careful with them.

ValverInBits
just jack it off the chassis rails under the car, it lifts the whole side up so both wheels are off the ground

I put an axle stand under one of those the other day and heard cracking as i lowered it :(

not sure ill try that again tbh

ValverInBits
my trolley jack does have a good surface area on it and a rubber pad

has anyone tried the subframe at the front basically under the rad?
and would it be such a crime to jack it off the sump??

I'd imagine it's not the best idea?!? :S

ValverInBits
jesus. Renault did not think this one through did they.

Think I'll just do it side by side nice and slow

Lionel Richie
ta dar
jack.jpg

BMW M135i

Sump will crack, subframe will dent.

Chassis rails are fine, i've had 3 and always put the axle stands on the chassis rails and haven't had any problems bar it scrapes some of the underseal off.

Jacking off the sill is made much better if you get a piece of wood and cut a slot on it to fit over the sills. Pitty they don't all come with the V6 tool which fits into the hole in the sill and does a similar job.

Megane 2 GT 165
So not where the schmuck is near the hole...that's a bit crippled at my car...haven't done that myself....

however you need a good jack to get to that chassis rails fred...can see that being done with the shitty jack that came with the car..(should have binned it yeah I know :) )

BMW M135i
You should be using a proper trolley jack not the standard pos! They like braking a lot.

On of mine has folded over (before I had it) but you can still jack off it.

Valver
I normally jack on the sill then put the axle stands on the chassis rail, otherwise I can't seem to get the stand in next to the jack :(