ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changed lights to PH2 style. Problem now.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Well before I went ahead and changed them with the guide from here I checked all of the lights and they all worked.

Now I changed them over to PH2 style ones and I found that a few aint working.

Working;
Both indicators
Both Reverse Lights (Although I had to bang the right side one and it managed to light up)

Right Side;
Fog light

Now, I'm 100% sure I have no wired these up wrong as I've checked and checked again.

From what I gathered about doing the reverse lights, I had to hit the right reverse light section to get it to light up. Another slight knock and it went off again. Same as the left one also.

How can I diagnose if the connectors on the car itself are dodgy or do you think I should clean the connectors on the light set itself? Or have you guys any other ideas on what might be going on?

Cheers.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Connectors on the light set itself yeah?

I will probably go out now in a bti and re-fit the old light to check all of the car connectors are working still.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Weird, that's the one that works for me lol.

Nothing else though. I will try to clean them though with WD (I assume that's WD40?) and give them a good cleaning! Could be a dirty connection.

275 Trophy
IIRC it's only the right fog that's wired up on ph1's. Renault didn't bother with the other side.

Something's amiss here; when I did this, all the lights worked but not how you would expect them to.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
I'll try cleaning them with some WD40 (?) and an old toothbrush and see what the result is!

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Sorry but I need to bump this as I'm not sure exactly what to do. Last thing I want to do is mess it all up.

Clean the little connector pins with WD40 and an old toothbrush? What about the connectors on the light cluster itself, same process?

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Ok so I went out and tried cleaning the connectors with WD40 and it didnt work.

This is hard to explain but I'll try;

I wired them up for a PH2 set of lights but the brake light / back light never came on on either side. After this I re-wired to check the old lights to see if the PH1 lights worked, and they did! So I kept the lights wired for a PH1 and plugged the PH2 light in. Obviously the lights wouldn't work properly but the top light on the PH2 set worked, meaning the light itself worked. However when it's wired up for a PH2 light no light comes on except the indicator and a reverse light sometimes.

Any fixes guys? Or do I need buy a new set of bulb holders?

275 Trophy
I cut mine and completly rewired them as they were doing crazy things like the hazzards were flashing the fog light and also the fog light warning light on the dash. Depends how far you want to go, but if your sure you've got all the supplies off the car loom and sure that all your bulbs and tracks are working then why not?

Jap Box
Sounds like a bad earth point, cleaned all the connectors 100%?

When I swaped mine around the brake lights wernt working properly because the one connector was corroded a greenish colour, I just wobble the wire around in the cluster until it worked properly and its been fine since.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
I gave them a good cleaning, may just have to try cleaning them again with a brillo pad and some WD40 possibly.

All the bulbs are working because I left it wired for PH1 and plugged the PH2 lights in and (of course the lights didn't light the proper way) everything was lighting up, so that rules out bad connectors. When I wired it up for PH2 the brake light wouldn't work :S Weird. Btw the top light in the PH2 is the brake light yes? The bottom one being fog?

Jap Box
No, bottom is brake, top is fog. Only the top right one will light up, top left does nothing.

Are you using the old PH1 light connectors or the new PH2 ones? If your using the PH1 ones then I think you need a certain type of indicator light

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
I got the bulb holders also with the lights. So, unless one of the pins on the PH2 holders are fooked? Nothing works except indicator and reverse lights.