ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing 16v suspension

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

I have just changed the fronts for Koni adjustables.

It was quite an easy job, the only problem I had was removing the top mount, but once that was off it was pretty much plain sailing.

I fitted new bearings, rubbers and top mounts as well.

The difference that it has made is amazing.

The car feels more stable and corners alot better. It looks better as well.

I will be attempting the rear tomorrow. I have been spraying the torsion bar with WD-40 every week for the last 6 weeks, so hopefully this wont put up too much of a fight.

Just 1 question, where is the best place to jack up the rear of the car?

Thanks

James

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Its not WD-40, just couldnt remember the name of the stuff when I typed the original message, its some Castrol stuff, feels like Wd-40 though.

It does say its penetrating fluid on the can.

Ben, any idea what the best jacking point is?

Thanks

James

"The correct jacking point" will be at either end of the sills - there are little holes visible where the original jack hooks in. If you feel behind these, there are small rectangular toughened areas - but as Ben says, youre best off using a trolley jack and a big block of wood at those points.

Many people destro the jacking points by jsut sticking the jack anywhere......wood gives and distributes load. take care!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Ive been using wood under the head of the jack and also on the axle stands under the sills.

I want to jack up the whole of the rear of the car in one go and support the car with axle stands under the rear sill jacking points.

Is there a central jacking point or strong area on the rear that I can use?

Thanks

James

I usually use the torsion bad housing/trailing arm big lump of metal when using axle stands, but i guess you cant since your lowering it.

its dodgy but when i had a spare i used to lift the rear by putting the jack on the spare, its spreads the load nicely, but you wont see it in any manuals! be interested to see how you get on with the rear beam, i might try mine one day,

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Done it, very easy. Only problem is I may have to raise the rear slightly as the front hasnt gone down by 30mm and I have lowered the rear by 30mm based on the front going down this far.

Will the front take time to settle and therefore end up lower over time and if so how long would it take?

BTW, I used the trailing arm where it pivots to jack the car up and put axle stands under the rear jacking points on the seals.

James