ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Aux Belt, Tensioner and Pulley. Easy??

PH1 172 Sport
Car has another 7,000 miles till it needs the aux belt changing again and 4,500 till its next service. However one of the pulleys or the tensioner has started to sound a little unhealthy. I'm aware of the damage they can cause if one of them fails so i want to get it sorted ASAP.

Now my options are:

1) Rentech is fairly local to me but i work away during the week and need my car. I have never used them as i haven't had the car long enough but I would take the car to them without hesitation although i would have thought with it being easter weekend that this is a busy time to get it booked in??

I would be looking for the full service to be done early with a AUX belt and relavent pulleys etc changed.

2) I get the parts and do it myself this weekend the most I have changed is a cambelt and head gasket on a 1.4 106. So how hard is the AUX belt, tensioners and pulley to change?? Do i need any special tools?

I would preferably like to save myself some money and do it myself especially seeing as I'm unlikely to get the car booked in at such short notice.

What does everyone think??

Youl be fine doing it yourself. I imagine lots of things things need to be removed though. Although I assume most of it can be done through the wheelarch

PH1 172 Sport
yeah it looks a bit of a squeeze in there!! I know the bumper has to come off. What special tools are needed?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
BenR had his renault one, what a crock of shite that was.. didnt even fit!

i used a 3/8 wrench with a mini jack pole on the end! high 5!

the renault one your meant to use a facom 1/2 to 3/8 ratchet head adaptor.....

Screw it, 1/4 ratchet with a 3/8 adaptor on and a long pipe.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I believe Rentech are now open on Sundays if you pre book?

PH1 172 Sport
Ive decided i'm going to do it myself. Can it be done without the bumper off or does it make it allot easier?

Black 172 FF
I did mine myself that tensioner was a b**ch we just made up a tool to do the job worked a treat :)

Takes 5 mine to whip front bumper off and it will save you 30 mins in messin about so well worth it :rasp:

PH1 172 Sport
I did mine myself that tensioner was a b**ch we just made up a tool to do the job worked a treat :)

Takes 5 mine to whip front bumper off and it will save you 30 mins in messin about so well worth it :rasp:

I'll take it off then!! Thanks for the help

172 Race Car
i did one at christmas without taking the bumper or headlinght out on a 182 in 1 and half hours but they are a b**ch to do. be prepared to loose skin

PH1 172 Sport
I'm still missing skin from tackling the throttle and clutch cable the other week!! All part of the fun of owning a french hot hatch!!

PH1 172 Sport
Just a quick one about this as im tackling it tomorrow.

Do I have to remove the Engine mounting as Renault suggest?

Also can it be changed without going through the wheel arch?

Thanks

172 Race Car
yes and no

Yes engine mount off and no you will have to remove the wheel and some of the trims to gain access. also if you are changing the pulleys/idlers etc you will have to raise and lower the engine alot to get access to the bolts and stuff.

I always remove the pas pump pulley too, makes it a tad easier

172 Race Car
Some people take the bumper off and headlamp out. I haven't ever done this as it is posible but its a simple job to remove these items so could make it a little easier

alien green rs133
its a dead easy job, if the engine is not in the car :) but on a serious note just take inner arch trim off slightly, if you need to you can undo top engine mount and jack it up or down :)

172 Race Car
Do I just support the engine with a jack and a block of wood to remove the mount?

yea get the car on an axle stand first so u have some room under it, the take off the under tray and suport the engine on the jack. My jack has a rubber pad on it but you can use wood if not

its a dead easy job, if the engine is not in the car :) but on a serious note just take inner arch trim off slightly, if you need to you can undo top engine mount and jack it up or down :)
Are u talking about a cup or one with air con?

PH1 172 Sport
All done took about 4 hours but it was my first time. Total b***h of a job!!

I removed the driver side wheel to improve access and also removed the engine mount so that I could raise and lower the engine.

I took off the bumper and light and although it didn't give too much extra space to work with it impoved visability 100% well worth it for the 10 minutes it takes to remove.

New belt was extremily tight to get on I had to aquire a spare pair of hands so that one of us could detension the tensioner pulley and another could slip the new belt on. I found the easiest pulley to get the last bit of the belt over was the crank shaft pulley as it was easy to access and did not have an outer lip like many of the other do.

Ive got some pictures etc and may do a guide if anyone is interested although it may have to wait a few days as ive got a busy week at work.

clio 172 cup
I'll try do one over the next couple of days not sure it'll be any good though!!

People that put effort in like this i great for people like me im 19 with a 172 and not experienced enough to tackle a job like this without some sort of guide behind me. (haynes manual fan as you can tell problem is they never made one for the 172 as it wasnt economically plausable because there wasnt enought 172/182's made as im shore your all aware)

cheers for being so useful mate and thanks to everyone else that puts there knowledge into this site. :)