ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing LED colour in dash and clock

Recently thought of changing my dash colour so I go about opening the dash to get to the clock and speedo to check which LED or SMD in this case.

Now some of the smds had 4 contacts ( PLCC-4 )
These were in my clock and behind my LCD in speedo.

And the rest I wanted to change in the speedo were plcc-2.

Now I change all the respective SMD's yet they don't kind of turn on.

I am no amatuer at soldering neither.

Was wondering whether the spec of the smd's I bought were the correct ones.

Can some electrophobe shed some light on this?

Cheers

Yeh haha I marked the polarity where the corner is bevelled.

With the clock I tested it by passing 12dc through the PCB that has the SMD's on and that worked.

Still confused

The SMD themselves work, I just don't think they are getting supplied there right voltage anymore, the SMD'S that were originally there had an activation voltage of around 1.6v and the SMD's I bought are like 3v.

Confused.com :-\

Polo + Micra
strange, as i put white leds in mine which i thought might not work due to the turn on voltage but they were fine

you have definatly got them in right, they are in series pairs iirc

I marked where the notch is to keep the polarity.

Now I've put the original SMD's back on and they no lighty.

I have either fooked something up or I'm being a pleb.

There is no dimmer on my panel the only time it dimms it when my sidelights are turned on.

The old SMD's have started working again on the speedo but the clock is a gonner.

Plus my speedo no longer gives any reading for MPG Gallon consumed I just get flashing --.--

Could this just be acase of resetting ecu (disconnecting battery etc..)

Mat

Used clocks near to my mileage as possible are hard to come by 2005 model @ 105K,

If were to buy new £65 + vat plus 'clocking' fee would be an expensive alternative.

Speedo now sorted

2012-05-07 22.00.46.jpg

Radio Display next as I have too many spare SMD's

:) There are some guides on here that'll help you through it, can be tedious.

I'm guessing there's alot more soldering to be done on yours I only had to replace 8 inc LCD.

If you find a replacement set of clocks around same mileage as yours I'd do them for you as the SMD's cost less than a fiver to do them all.

But then you'll have an orange glow from the clock, of which I'm in the process of doing :)

Just doing all this to match my aftermarket HU.

FF 182
Looks great! Crazyleds.com has a Clio kit for the whole interior including guide! I have a mini soldering iron just scared of cocking the whole speedo bit up :( and I don't fancy paying £99 for them to fit it all!

Just take your time mate, get some needle nose pliers hold the SMD with the pliers with a slight bi of pulling pressure and heat the solder on the other side once it melts it should slide out (one side of the SMD) repeat the process on the other side of the SMD until its off the PCB repeat with the rest of the SMD's then replace with new ones, heat the solder already on the board (making sure the SMD is the right way round) push the pin through the hole if need be add some more solder.

done

^^ Yea what he said, either try getting a spare speedo then do it on that.

Otherwise I'm sure one of the gang could do it, I have a spare set of dials but its for 04-onwards MKII on 79K (Central LCD) only 2 dials
I could do them any colour for anyone who wanted it.

If anyone c***s up soldering their CC panle PCB, then I have a working spare (just pcb, no casing etc).
Personally, I just bought the kit from CrazyLEDs.co.uk. £22 delivered with everything you need to do clocks, cd player, speedo, window switches and CC panel. The guy is incredibly helpful via both email and phone if you get stuck (I rang to check he'd sent me the right LED size for the speedo).

I plan to re-do my interior to either white, or blue and white mix (currently all blue) at a future date.

I did mine the other day, one smd wasnt making a connection and all the lights failed to Iight because of this, works fine now :) it's easy and cost pence, only needed the smds, hardest bit was getting the needles back in the right place.