ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing the gear knob

225 powered mk2
It pulls off mate, but when i did it i end up cutting it into bits and then pulling with some grips :)

Homo spec mazda
OOO have you managed to actually change the gear knob???

I pulled mine off and there was a thing on the gear stick so i couldnt get the new one on, now my gaiter wont go on either.

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
lol, i hacksawed my knob off! :S
to get the clocks out you have to get the top off the dashboard, after that it's quite simple. you can't just swap different clocks over, they have different screens depending on the year, fault lights in different places, etc. i fitted 182 dials to my ph1, but ended up essentially using the back of my current ones and ripping them both to pieces to fit the front on! serious bodge. even the locating parts are different, so beneath the dash mine are currently held in by gaff ftw!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
OOO have you managed to actually change the gear knob???

I pulled mine off and there was a thing on the gear stick so i couldnt get the new one on, now my gaiter wont go on either.

Yes you need to hacksaw it off, messy!

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
just the plastic bit, you'll know when you hit metal!! just hack all the plastic away. it's prob why gearknobs r so expensive on ebay, no1 can get them off!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
lol, i hacksawed my knob off! :S
to get the clocks out you have to get the top off the dashboard, after that it's quite simple. you can't just swap different clocks over, they have different screens depending on the year, fault lights in different places, etc. i fitted 182 dials to my ph1, but ended up essentially using the back of my current ones and ripping them both to pieces to fit the front on! serious bodge. even the locating parts are different, so beneath the dash mine are currently held in by gaff ftw!

Are the connectors for the clocks all the same for all the years then? I.e can you plug ph2 dials into a ph1 with no problems?

CLIO 182 CUP
How do i go about changing the gear knob?

Just changed the gear knob on my 182 Cup.

Hacksawed the old G-K to bits, then pulled off the remains. Took me about 20 mins to do (plus about another 20 mins to hoover up the bits!!) It is NOT bonded or glued but is just a very tight fit onto gear lever (that is 'knurled' at the end to stop it turning in your hand). I used a rubber mallet to knock the new one on (with plastic silver cap removed first of course!)

New G-K from Renault cost £25 +VAT.