ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chase Racing Clio Build Blog (TinTops Entry)

Chase Racing Clio
So, we are entering TinTops this year and as such, here is the build blog from the beginning. All the background and stuff is in the following posts and in fact, this information will be replicated on our website, which we will be hoping to go live with as soon as possible.

Please read on...

Chase Racing Clio
Background

The story of Chase Racing began in the last few months of 2011, during a casual trip to a rolling road to see a friend's Civic TypeR, which was being prepared for the TinTops series. Ryan and I (Dave) were on the way back from the rolling road in my Clio 172, when Ryan said "What's stopping us doing the same thing?" I couldn't think of a reason not to….and so it began.

The next step was to recruit a third person to join us in this project; this is when I asked Rob if he would like to be a part of it. In his signature laid back way, he expressed his enthusiasm - "sounds terrific". This was the first meeting of Ryan and Rob, but I knew there wouldn't be any clashes of character here, both great guys and both very calm characters.

Ryan and I have known each other for a number of years when we met whilst on an industrial placement at Cummins Engines back in 2007 as part of our respective university courses and have been good friends ever since. Rob I have known since we both began the graduate scheme at Jaguar Land Rover and I knew he was the right guy to approach about this project and it seems the three of us are already showing we make quite a good team! Ryan also joined Jaguar Land Rover in 2011 and hence why we are all in close proximity now.

On to the team name; we had struggled to come up with a team name for a little while, but finally settled on Chase Racing. Rob's surname is Chase and we felt this was the best name we had. We had many inappropriate suggestions, but settled on this. Rob's not in charge though…… no one is, it's anarchy!

And so, in the new year of 2012, we began the project.

Chase Racing Clio
January 9[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

The car enters the garage for the first time for the initial weigh in before stripping anything out of it. We filled it with a full tank of fuel and stuck it on corner weights.

DSC02759.jpg

For a car that cost me just £1700 back in May of 2011, in good condition and with 90k on the clock….it's doing well. The weigh in reads out at 1114kg with a 64.7% front split.

DSC02765.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
January 17[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

Today is stripping day and boy did we gut that thing quickly! All seats and interior trim out in 3 hours by Rob and I.

DSC02802.jpg

We could have weighed everything we took out and give a nice break down of the change, but that's way too much effort. The seats and seatbelts were immediately sold and Rob took them down south to a guy who gave us £175 for the lot, already recuperating some of the costs!!

Chase Racing Clio
January 31[SUP]st[/SUP] 2012:

We've obtained some very vital parts. We did an order of electric components, mainly switches along with a number plate for the trailer and some gauges. The whole lot adding up to just over £100.

DSC02817-1.jpg

We have also got ourselves an OMP bolt-in cage at just £530 and some Cobra Monaco Pros (in date until 2014) for £225!! Lovely jubbly.

DSC02815.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
February 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] 2012:

Initial test fitment of the cage (Rob looks proud of it coming together), so we can figure out where all the mounting plates will need to be welded and so on.

DSC02824.jpg

He's me sitting in the seat (I'm the tallest of the 3 of us), mocking up where the seat mounts will go as well as steering rack position.

DSC02826.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
February 10[SUP]th[/SUP],11[SUP]th[/SUP] & 12[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012

A weekend working on the car commences; Whilst Ryan is fabricating all the bracketry and welding things in place, Rob and I will crack on with other items on the car. So, out come the rear beam and the rest of the rear suspension components and brakes.

DSC02833.jpg

The doors comes off the car and out comes the glass, the inner skin will get chopped for that extra bit of weight saving!

DSC02836.jpg

I'm back in the warmth of the house as I mark out the polycarbonate, which will replace the windows.

DSC02841.jpg

Rob's been busy inside the car with the wire brush attachment on the grinder and a lot of petrol…. All the sound deadening is gone!

DSC02845.jpg

All the glass has now been removed as well. The doors were carefully extracted, but the rear was not!

th_MOV02840.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
February 25[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012

Some more thorough cleaning from Rob and all the brake components have been painted up.

DSC02851.jpg

An air compressor proved very useful in removing all the front suspension!

DSC02852.jpg

Rob starts on the unenviable task of sorting through the main loom (this won't be all done for a while)

DSC02853.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
February 28[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012

After a little delay with the welding as we had to get ourselves a big bottle of gas, Ryan is continuing the progress of fabricating all the base plates and so on.

DSC02855.jpg

Following on from Rob's efforts with cleaning up all the suspension components, I finished off painting them all a nice vibrant yellow!!

DSC02857.jpg

Even the rear beam (complete with strengthening plates) gets the same treatment!

DSC02858.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
So you are coming to join us then.

What thickness is the poly windows?, if it's not the right stuff then it will not pass scrutineering.

I'll be watching progress.

Get yourselves a 'Blue book' and get it right first time.

Chase Racing Clio
So you are coming to join us then.

What thickness is the poly windows?, if it's not the right stuff then it will not pass scrutineering.

I'll be watching progress.

Get yourselves a 'Blue book' and get it right first time.

Yehh, that's the plan, don't think we'll be quite keeping up with you guys though. We're all up to speed on the rules, got a few copies of the bluebook knocking about now. The polycarb we've got is 3mm which is what the FIA rules say. The bluebook itself doesn't actually quote a number as far as we can find....

They really are - I once did 6 hours in one driving to cornwall and was fully crippled for 3 days :(

I'm a little sceptical on the seats too, they're not as snug as I'd hoped, but worst comes to the worst we'll sell them on and get something else. We've been doing well with budget, so replacing them won't be a massive expense.

182cup & 172 racecar
question.gif
Are they MSA/FIA Legal?
answer.gif
All our windows manufactured for use in the UK are made from 4mm thick plastics, which meet the vague rules in the Blue Book. These rules state that certain windows may be replaced by a plastic equivalent of at least 4mm thick.

For use outside the UK it is advisable to check your own specific regulations as you may be allowed to use 3mm thick windows.

We advise you to check your technical regulations, just to make sure.

Chase Racing Clio
We're gonna be pretty tight on time and cash, but I think we can do it pretty quickly. Ryan's ARDS is next friday and mine is the following monday. Both of us have no real experience of circuit driving. Rob did the 2CV 24hr last year and that was his first racing experience. So we're very much doing this as amateur drivers. We're all degree qualified automotive engineers though....so that might help (he hopes). Can not wait to get on track though!!! :race:

We're gonna be pretty tight on time and cash, but I think we can do it pretty quickly. Ryan's ARDS is next friday and mine is the following monday. Both of us have no real experience of circuit driving. Rob did the 2CV 24hr last year and that was his first racing experience. So we're very much doing this as amateur drivers. We're all degree qualified automotive engineers though....so that might help (he hopes). Can not wait to get on track though!!! :race:
Sounds good :) I'm exactly the same I have no race experience only track driving so it will be interesting to see how the two translate! Look forward to meeting you all :)

Chase Racing Clio
Yehh, definitely looking forward to meeting all the faces around the paddock! Throwing around motorsport terminology like nobody's business :p

182cup & 172 racecar
One thing about the time situation, is that you will just have build it and race it.

No time for messing around and changing things over and over again.

Best way IMO

Caterham, Z4
February 28[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012

After a little delay with the welding as we had to get ourselves a big bottle of gas, Ryan is continuing the progress of fabricating all the base plates and so on.

DSC02855.jpg

Following on from Rob's efforts with cleaning up all the suspension components, I finished off painting them all a nice vibrant yellow!!

DSC02857.jpg

Even the rear beam (complete with strengthening plates) gets the same treatment!

DSC02858.jpg

What paint did you use? Looks good.

Chase Racing Clio
What paint did you use? Looks good.

It's just yellow hammerite (there's the tin next to the beam). The art is in the preparation, Rob cleaned them up real nice with the wire brush on the bench grinder. We did a white undercoat as well, also hammerite.

Chase Racing Clio
I've just spent a while looking over the rules on polycarbonate and finding that the bluebook does in fact state 4mm is a minimum for any plastic windows fitted!!! We didn't find the ruling before and consulted FIA rules which have a line stating 3mm, but after further reading and checking, this doesn't apply to our situation anyway.

So, after spending 130 quid on a big sheet of 3mm polycarb and spending a few hours precisely marking out and cutting, looks like we're gonna have to stump up and get another lot of 4mm and do it all again. Anyone on here want a ready cut set of 3mm polycarb windows?? Ideal for a track car...

182cup & 172 racecar
I've just spent a while looking over the rules on polycarbonate and finding that the bluebook does in fact state 4mm is a minimum for any plastic windows fitted!!! We didn't find the ruling before and consulted FIA rules which have a line stating 3mm, but after further reading and checking, this doesn't apply to our situation anyway.

So, after spending 130 quid on a big sheet of 3mm polycarb and spending a few hours precisely marking out and cutting, looks like we're gonna have to stump up and get another lot of 4mm and do it all again. Anyone on here want a ready cut set of 3mm polycarb windows?? Ideal for a track car...

Just didn't want you getting any further into it, that's why I said something.Been there and got the teeshirt.;)

Chase Racing Clio
Just didn't want you getting any further into it, that's why I said something.Been there and got the teeshirt.;)

Yeh, cheers Tony. Double annoying 'cause Ryan and I had both looked through the rules and not spotted anything gospel, but hey ho, should only cost us a small amount to remedy. A lot easier doing it now than later when they ask us to replace them!

We've been reading a lot of the stuff you guys have done, all really useful stuff that's been helping us learn lessons before it goes and bites us in the preverbial!

172 Race Car
Yeh, cheers Tony. Double annoying 'cause Ryan and I had both looked through the rules and not spotted anything gospel, but hey ho, should only cost us a small amount to remedy. A lot easier doing it now than later when they ask us to replace them!

We've been reading a lot of the stuff you guys have done, all really useful stuff that's been helping us learn lessons before it goes and bites us in the preverbial!
you havent learnt the biggest lesson tho...

Dont build a racecar. just buy one. Good luck with the rest of the build, if you need any tips or advice then most stuff is on our site. Search function works well, easier than searching the thread on here and theres more detail.

Dont get too caught up with stuff that dont matter (like the colour of door mirrors, etc) you need a reliable car and just get out there. You will gain more by driving it and gaining experiance than any weight saving or mods.

Racing is all that matters. Me and Tony are going nuts waiting for the season to start

Chase Racing Clio
Jay, Tony, here's one for you....what tyres do you use? And where do you get them from? We've got some cup racer spec speedlines lined up, so it'll be 195/50 R16