ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

chris79's ph1 standard turbo sleeper

Titanium ph1 turbo
Ok so here goes my first ever project blog... to give a bit of a background on me, my previous interests, etc.. and how I've come to this.. my latest.

So having grew up with Renault 5 turbos in my garage from the age of 18... I owned 3 in total over a 12 year period.. my last one sold in 2010, which I regret... anyone who has owned or driven will know small car with a turbo = lots of fun.

In 2012 after a 2 year gap of owning a performance car (2 young kids), I realised I was missing my hothatch addiction and so set about scouting the cleanest ph1 I could find.. with the rule being it had to be fully standard... after a few months I landed on this one with 72k on the clock and a full Renault stamped service history...

Photo%2029-07-2012%2018%2049%2022.jpg

Photo%2029-07-2012%2018%2049%2037.jpg

Photo%2029-07-2012%2018%2050%2032.jpg

So... roll on 4 years to 2016 and it's now on 103k miles and has been rock solid.. never let me down and drives great...

I'm now about to press ahead with the following changes in July:

240bhp low boost conversion, inc decat
Cambelt change (due 2017) / waterpump
New Vaelo clutch
New engine mounts all round
Air con removal / cup altenator mod
General engine clean up / paint / powder
Boost gauge

I'm wondering if anyone can offer me some good tips or advice on what other work I should consider whilst doing all this...

Also I'm opting for a vaelo clutch as I'm not sure on a helix... having never tried one, I don't want something which is too harsh or on/off..?

My dream of owning a turbod ph1 will hopefully be a reality very soon... I will post updates and pics as and when etc.. completion end of July / early August.

225 powered mk2
@chris79 What a clean example of a ph1! looks great.

Only advice I could give really would be take your time and do your research into what parts work best.

Id suggest powerflex bushes on the front and maybe a set of coilovers or a good set of springs too!
Have you thought about what ecu you are going to run? piggyback or stand alone? I would personally recommend an adaptronic ecu, its worked great on my ph1!

Look forward to seeing some updates (Y)

Titanium ph1 turbo
Hi @Robclio98,

Thank you, it will be an Adaptronic ECU, I have selected Clioturbo's stage 1 low boost kit as my turbo kit... I had to do this on a budget of about £3k, so barring an engine rebuild, new pistons, etc this works out within budget... and I think 240bhp should be plenty fast enough and also maintainable... I'm looking forward to getting rid of all the aircon crap to declutter the engine bay, especially since it's never worked in the past 3 years...

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Are you doing the conversion yourself??

Posted at the same time. ClioTurbo are doing a decent deal at the moment I saw on FB the other day.

225 powered mk2
@chris79 Good choice, I really rate adaptronic ecu, and Andy at Clioturbo is great! he has supplied me with loads of parts and knowledge over the years! his work is great too!

Getting rid of the aircon will create some space, I may suggest an Epas conversion too to get rid of the power steering motor and pulley. im currently doing this one mine.

Titanium ph1 turbo
No it's booked in with Andy @ Clioturbo... I wanted to do it myself, I spent many years rebuilding 5 turbos and love doing my own work, but for this one I've decided to get it done by someone who is experienced.. I want something solid that will serve as my daily driver...

This was my last effort on my 5 turbo (sold 2010)... complete full engine rebuild, pistons, new carb, electronic boost controller... I have no idea why I decided to sell it... took £2k for it, now probably worth £10k... 1 lady owner from new etc... hoping the turbo ph1 will help me erase this life mistake.

august07%20001.jpg

Titanium ph1 turbo
Ok here we go...

So engine converted with the following spec, work undertaken by clioturbo:
  • Garret GT2554 turbo, cast manifold, megane 225 injectors, front mount intercooler, airfilter
  • EFI ECU Module running 8psi
  • Stainless steel downpipe / decat
  • New valeo clutch kit
  • Aircon delete kit / new aux belt + tensioner
  • New cambelt + dephaser fitted
  • New radiator fitted
  • Vibra-technics engine mounts
  • Custom heatshield around turbo/exhaust downpipe
  • new spark plugs, oil, filter
Whilst engine was out I also had it generally cleaned up, I had oil leaks in both the sump and the gearbox which were rectified during the conversion.. rolling road gave slightly lower figure than the expected 230bhp and was attributed to the current crappy eurocarparts exhaust system by Chris @ EFI.

Due to a slightly sticky throttle body, this was taken off.. cleaned up.. adjusted and refitted by myself.

Next plans are to get a performance 'ph1 stealth' type exhaust to help release the full power, boost gauge has been ordered and to be fitted... also have new clutch and accelerator cables to fit. I also have a slight bit of bubbling on the roof which needs some paintwork attention... booking in this week.

I basically wanted to keep my ph1 completely standard looking, both outside and inside... I like the original OEM look... nothing gives the game away other than the front mounted intercooler if you look closely... or the wastegate chatter on a boosted gear change...

EFI's boost module had previously only been created/mapped/setup for a ph2... therefore this had to be set up and created for me on my ph1.

Driving it sounds and feels just like my old 5 turbo (only faster)... turbo spool up air suction sound... wastegate chatter when you let off... the car has much more low down torque.. no longer feels like you have to rev the nuts off it above 5k to get peak power... even though it's the low blow kit ~230bhp feels fast (at least to me).. I opted for this for a few reasons.. namely the cost involved, the retention of most standard components.. the use of a standard clutch.. I can only imagine how nuts the 280 or 330bhp must be, I can't actually see how it would be driveable at that power in 1st/2nd/3rd ... in the wet, even with Michelin ps3s on full boost mine can't keep the power down properly until 4th gear.. 1st and 2nd is still wheelspin in the dry...

Photo%2007-08-2016,%2017%2018%2028.jpg

Photo%2007-08-2016,%2017%2044%2002.jpg

Photo%2007-08-2016,%2017%2044%2009.jpg

Photo%2007-08-2016,%2017%2044%2048.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Love a clean ph1. Such a cool looking car.

I get why your doing it, but the standard ride height is comical! However, it looks standard but packs a punch!

Have you thought about the 182 manifold? Makes decatting an easier fix.

I'd also think about having some black stickers on the front bumper grill as it's missing them, blacking the intercooler for an even more subtle look and even orange indicator bulbs!

Titanium ph1 turbo
Love a clean ph1. Such a cool looking car.

I get why your doing it, but the standard ride height is comical! However, it looks standard but packs a punch!

Have you thought about the 182 manifold? Makes decatting an easier fix.

I'd also think about having some black stickers on the front bumper grill as it's missing them, blacking the intercooler for an even more subtle look and even orange indicator bulbs!

:)... car is currently de-cat.. I just need a new centre section and back box...

Curious as to what the black stickers are though.. hadn't noticed that.. and can't see any difference looking at library photos...

I did have the option of a black intercooler, but opted for a silver one only to signal to the trained eye it was turbod... and yes, orange side repeaters may have to go on... the clear ones were already on when I bought the car... even more shockingly the previous owner had fitted phase 2 rear lights which were instantly removed.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
If you look at my grill here, it's black all the way in. Normal if there's silver parts, the bumper has been painted. (Where the toy bar is, on both sides)

I also meant orange indicator bulbs in the headlights too.

Just makes it look more standard.

2016-08-07_08-17-31.jpg

Titanium ph1 turbo
If you look at my grill here, it's black all the way in. Normal if there's silver parts, the bumper has been painted. (Where the toy bar is, on both sides)

I also meant orange indicator bulbs in the headlights too.

Just makes it look more standard.

View attachment 161877

Oooh, yeah I see now - thanks for this I was not aware.. so the black on the bumper - this is a sticker?.. or painted black... I'll be sure to add this to the list of jobs.. and yeah, orange side repeaters and bulbs too... it's going back original...

I like your car also... phase 1 all the way!! ;)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
That car is no more. It was broke last year. I went for the oem+ look. Like you though, no ph2 rear lights.

I believe the black was a sticker and from memory it was like fine grip tape sticker, similar to skateboard deck tape but a lot finer. Black vinyl will so exactly the same though.

I have a photo of your car with mine that i nicked off andys facebook, im also having the lowboost this week.
So what was the exact bhp figure? And How hard can you push first gear?

Titanium ph1 turbo
I have a photo of your car with mine that i nicked off andys facebook, im also having the lowboost this week.
So what was the exact bhp figure? And How hard can you push first gear?

Hey!... I think I saw your car in the workshop when I picked mine up... is it lowered with black/dark alloys? (just from memory)... well mine made 220bhp on the rollers.. but my standard/crappy exhaust is causing a loss of power which I'm about to sort asap... even with 220 though it's awesome.. 1st gear is a tricky one because as soon as it hits boost the needle just goes off the clock so in a split second you're having to hit 2nd gear.. I can't imagine full 1st gear launches are good for the gearbox/mounts... even 2nd gear on full beans is a handful... the power just keeps coming, even up to 6k revs... might be slightly different in a cup though as I know ph1 gearbox has slightly longer gearing (as far as I know)!.... if you came from standard 172 before, then you won't be disappointed with the conversion... whats on your shopping list of work to be done?

Ph1
Not having the black bumper inserts is a indication the bumper has been replaced or sprayed.

You could originally buy the bumper sticker set from Renault but it's no longer available.

Pain in the rear to cut your own stickers as well as the towing eye areas are a offset shape.

Titanium ph1 turbo
Not having the black bumper inserts is a indication the bumper has been replaced or sprayed.

You could originally buy the bumper sticker set from Renault but it's no longer available.

Pain in the rear to cut your own stickers as well as the towing eye areas are a offset shape.

Hmm wow thanks for this, learn something every day I guess.. I'd never even noticed!...