ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning exhaust tips

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'll be doing one soon which is basically buggered. It's very very black and pitted/sooty.

Whats best to deal with this?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Fine grade wire wool, autosol and a microfibre always works well for me mate. JD swears by some other stuff iirc, which I can't for the life of me think what it's called.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
That's the one Dave.

This was my old Trophy's part way through using autosol, bear in mind that they were proper filthy:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351241798.820030.jpg

Only takes 10 minutes too.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I was going to used the wire wool way. Cheers guys.

I might take the back box off and do it away from the car...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Bonus I just found out that the car I'm doing has an exhaust tip that is removable, awesome.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
00 Grade wire wool, microfibre and Auto Finesse Mercury is all you need. And then keep on top of it after every wash. My decat makes mine a lot worse.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
autosol and wire wool ftw

once wire wooled once your probably good with just a micro and autosol there after if you wash the car fairly regularly, just keep on top of it like :)

IMG_0142_zps6f5589bf.jpg

IMG_0143_zps70b0b2ec.jpg

IMG_0145_zps59340545.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You are seriously underestimating the state of this one.... It hasn't been cleaned for nearly 5 years lol

Mercury has better chemicals in it, from my experience of both. Makes it easier, rather than "just" scratching the carbon off with the abrasives that both contain.

Where you'll need wire wool with Autosol, you're less likely to need it with Mercury.

Have you bought a porker yet?!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I find Mercury finishes better, but for the price and availability I get the worst off with Autosol and then if needs be, finish with Mercury.

Depends how fussy you are.