ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning TB without removing it?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
This may be a daft question, but i dont know so may aswell ask...
To clean the throttle body, does it actually need to be removed? Would it be just as usefull to clean the inside of it while still on the car and just the air box hose out the way

When i say clean i just mean around the inside of it therefore dont know why it would all need to be removed to simply give it a wipe around

Cheers in advance guys if you can help answer

Last edited:
  Qashcow
To clean it properly you need to take it back to component form. Easy to do on a cable one and similar on fbw I think. I had tried cleaning mine a few times with no luck on the car.

cd0c6443.gif

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ah rite i see, cheers mate! I didnt realise what its like behind it, just when replacing the air filter i noticed it looking slightly dirty around the inside of it and thouggt a simple wipe would be ok to get it clean

Out of intrest, brake cleaner on a rag would be fine wouldnt it?

Qashcow
Ah if your not having any problems with it then you should be fine with some cleaner and a rag yep. Won't need stripping. With age they cam get sticky and you get idling issues, they are over £300 for new ph1 version hence why stripping them is worth it lol

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Wow! No mate not had any problems, it was just as id noticed a slight build up around the inside when i changed the filter that i thought it may be a good idea to give it a clean

Tbh i dont know how this part works, its allways made me wonder and ive never read up or asked before so pretty clueless. Obviously the butterfly kind of part in the middle moves for the air to go in, is that purely opened when accelerating? Allways wondered and been confused by how it works lol.may sound silly, i know :eek:

Qashcow
Pretty much right on how it works, on idle it is very slightly opened and when you press the throttle, the butterfly opens to allow more air flow into the inlet/engine

Evo 8 MR
imo if it isn't broken, don't fix it. It's normal for the throttle body and the inlet plenum to have a bit of oil on them.

Clio 197
if you start taking it to pieces like that you will have issues when you put it back together - you can guarantee it (sure i read it somewhere)

just clean it when its in situ if;

a) it bothers you that much (with no idling issues)
b) if it needs it

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'll come round and take it off so you can clean it mate, takes 2 mins to remove

BG 182
It's 4 bolts to take it off, it's idiot proof mate. Won't do no harm either, just unbolt it and give it a good clean.