ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning TDC sensor

172 MKII FF
Hi,

I took the TDC sensor out of my 172 today because I have some starting problems, if I turn the ignition on but not the engine, then turn it off and start the car it works perfectly. But, I just start the car from the first turn of the key they car sometimes fails to start.

I basically cleaned the metal pin on the sensor - is this correct or should I have cleaned anything else?

R35 GTR
Hi,

I took the TDC sensor out of my 172 today because I have some starting problems, if I turn the ignition on but not the engine, then turn it off and start the car it works perfectly. But, I just start the car from the first turn of the key they car sometimes fails to start.

I basically cleaned the metal pin on the sensor - is this correct or should I have cleaned anything else?
I tried cleaning mine, it didnt look dirty tbh, how about yours?

172 MKII FF
Hi,

I tried cleaning mine, it didnt look dirty tbh, how about yours?

Looked a little dirty, but used some electrical cleaner and the tip came up quite shiny. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, it only seems to happen when the car has been stood still for a while. But this morning I tried the turn ignition on, then off, then on fully for the engine and it started perfectly - and it had been stood out in the cold all night.

172 MKII FF
Well cleaning the TDC sensor didn't work. Would it be worth buying a new one? If i buy a new one, do I have to buy the loom with it or will the existing loom clip into the new sensor?

If it turns out that the TDC sensor isn't at fault, what else can I look at that could be causing the problem?

CB600FS
If you buy it and its the new Blue type (ie from Renault), you'll need to buy the loom aswell as the sensor.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
did you manage to put this on and did it fix your problem? keep us posted mate a few of us are having this, and we would like to get it sorted before winter :)

172 MKII FF
did you manage to put this on and did it fix your problem? keep us posted mate a few of us are having this, and we would like to get it sorted before winter :)

No I haven't had one put on yet. Probably going to do it in the next few week. Reno have skinned me of all my money these last few months :dapprove: .

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
ok buddy, ill probably sort mine the weekend, ill drop you aline and let you know how it goes.

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Hi Mates,
This evening I wanted to start the car and it failed. Tried second time and still failed. After few minutes tried again and it started but the idle revs were running between 700 rpm to 1200 rpm (looks like the ecu trying to adjust it right). After about 30 seconds it became stable.
I think that this is a TDC sensor or its loom.

Had this problem on a megane coupe 1.6 K4M engine about 4 times during 5 years of ownership.

Does megane's and clios 172 TDC sensor is the same ?

I hate this sensor:mad: