ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 phase1 to clio172 conversion....

Clio, punto, mini
Hey guys I got a clio 1.2 phase1 I want to convert it to 172, any one did it before? I don't really know the cost I need help with what I need to do it?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's possible of course, and has been done many times, but just as a guide, I know of one which was done at K-TEC, cost £3000.

Which is of course 2 or 3 times the cost of an actual Phase 1 172.

Clio, punto, mini
I know it's cheaper get a 172, but is the project thing build my self u know, I never swap an engine before, I want to do it on my own I'm not chore if is easy or not and I don't know for shore all the parts I will need?

M135i
I know it's cheaper get a 172, but is the project thing build my self u know, I never swap an engine before, I want to do it on my own I'm not chore if is easy or not and I don't know for shore all the parts I will need?

A dictionary would be a good start.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I can never understand why anyone would want to do this, after the engine swap all the suspension and brakes would need upgrading to make it the same driving experience.then there is declaring it to your insurance company which would surely cost more than a standard 172. Then you either put up with it looking like a 1.2 or spend a fortune replacing bumpers and trims. Still just a 1.2 . My opinion only but why?

Clio, punto, mini
What if allready have the coilovers on the car and all the body work, and what if I got some one interested in the 1.2 engine for 700 pounds and the gearbox 100, steel have to spend about 1000 pounds for the conversion but the phase1 clio in good chape is difficult to find and the shel of the 1.2 I got steel in grate condition....

Clio, punto, mini
Sorry mate I'm Portugues and I speak 4 languages, is to many information on my head , it's normal if I do som mistakes some times

Thing is in the UK any 1*2 is easy to come by at the moment in good condition for not much money and really begs the question other than having more money than sense why you would want to do this?

As Dom has said above really! its just a no brainer when you add up the costs and effort.

I picked up my ph1 172 for £900 yes it needs some work but its been pretty good so far! im sure you can find a bargain to ;)

Look at it this way.. buy a cheap ph1 172 circa £1000, roughly £1500 (maybe less) for a good re-spray in the colour you want. bit of TLC mechanicly and your probably still better off than converting from a 1.2 ;)