ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 blown up

I am sick of this car! 2002 model with 54000miles on the clock and the engine blows up! Pile of sh**e i dont want it back! Renault reckon its a four figure sum to repair it and to make matters worse its stuck in Clapham, cambridgeshire and i live in manchester. Ba**ard private trains £47 one way! Rip off! If anyone wants this car once its repaired feel free to make me an offer. I dont want to see it again.

MKIII 138

sorry to hear that mate. mines been fine for 36k. im sure you are ones of the unlucky ones but i do know that most people on here scream the engine for thousands of miles and it still works but its only a cheap ass car.

hope you get it sorted.

Count yourself lucky, at least you got 56k, mine did 16k before it blew up!! Love the way the car drives so much, though, that I cant hate it, EVER!!!

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 27 June 2005
reg isnt yw 02 mtf is it ??

wouldnt surprise me if it was, i feel sorry for the poor bugger that got that car :p

172 cup TT

When people say "blew up" you dont literally mean exploded do you?!?..

My cups engine "went"... but quite worrying if the thing blows up!?!..

Beetle

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 27 June 2005

reg isnt yw 02 mtf is it ??

wouldnt surprise me if it was, i feel sorry for the poor bugger that got that car :p
why whats the deal with that car??? :confused:

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

mines finally goin! My engine went errr wrong in a huge ploom of smoke while following Jonnyboy on the M62! Wasnt the first or last problem either!! Car was great when all was fine, just 2 yrs an 8K miles it wasnt ever on the road long enough!!

Beetle

its f**ked :D
i ragged it from cold everyday off the limiter even when cold generally treated like sh*te
lol, i see what you meant now then

Cheers for the condolences!

Reno. cant diagnose the actual problem until Friday. No surprise there then.

All you can hear at the moment when you turn the keys is the alternator spinning! - Glad to hear that i only replaced it 2000miles a go!

Hears what happended you can all make up your own decision on what the problem is -

80mph, outside lane on the A14, she starts losing power, exhaust sounds funny and starts popping, i move across into the slow lane and put my foot on the brakes to slow down, as i do this she cuts out! WTF! Power steering goes seriously heavy and i put my foot hard down on the brakes, barely anything there, reno. said servo probally didnt work! So i let it slow down naturally from about 45mph thank f*ck i was going uphill! As i come to about 10mph right front locks up completely. Stops dead on the grass! No hard shoulder on the A14! Missis gives me s*it about it being french crap! Ring up AA! Oh and if anyone has used the AA five times in one membership term (12 months) you have to pay for any recovery after this! (Yes they have all been for my 172) - My main concern is the lock up what if this happended at 80mph?

Quote: Originally posted by Adie on 29 June 2005
Cheers for the condolences! Reno. cant diagnose the actual problem until Friday. No surprise there then.All you can hear at the moment when you turn the keys is the alternator spinning! - Glad to hear that i only replaced it 2000miles a go!Hears what happended you can all make up your own decision on what the problem is - 80mph, outside lane on the A14, she starts losing power, exhaust sounds funny and starts popping, i move across into the slow lane and put my foot on the brakes to slow down, as i do this she cuts out! WTF! Power steering goes seriously heavy and i put my foot hard down on the brakes, barely anything there, reno. said servo probally didnt work! So i let it slow down naturally from about 45mph thank f*ck i was going uphill! As i come to about 10mph right front locks up completely. Stops dead on the grass! No hard shoulder on the A14! Missis gives me s*it about it being french crap! Ring up AA! Oh and if anyone has used the AA five times in one membership term (12 months) you have to pay for any recovery after this! (Yes they have all been for my 172) - My main concern is the lock up what if this happended at 80mph?

This happened to my mk1 172. The ignition leads had totally worn out and it kept cutting out with a particular preference for doing it at speed! Because the engine stops running, so does the power steering and abs (and most other stuff!) - hence contributing to you locking the wheels maybe?

Anyway, not saying thats what it is, but it certainly rings a bell with me.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Love that plate. Total c**k!

My Cup engine blew a spark plug out - again, total sh*t.. glad to be rid.

megane coupe F7R

How come these engines are sh*te? Nearly everbody who owns one on here has had a post about it being broken or having probs at some point. I though my valver was bad. Imagine what a 172 will be like in 10 or 12 years, if they make it that far.

The engines on the whole are pretty damn good, there has to be a serious fault, or you have to try and kill it to damage one. the faults are with the electrics, not the engines generally.

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by Adie on 29 June 2005

Cheers for the condolences!

Reno. cant diagnose the actual problem until Friday. No surprise there then.

All you can hear at the moment when you turn the keys is the alternator spinning! - Glad to hear that i only replaced it 2000miles a go!

Hears what happended you can all make up your own decision on what the problem is -

80mph, outside lane on the A14, she starts losing power, exhaust sounds funny and starts popping, i move across into the slow lane and put my foot on the brakes to slow down, as i do this she cuts out! WTF! Power steering goes seriously heavy and i put my foot hard down on the brakes, barely anything there, reno. said servo probally didnt work! So i let it slow down naturally from about 45mph thank f*ck i was going uphill! As i come to about 10mph right front locks up completely. Stops dead on the grass! No hard shoulder on the A14! Missis gives me s*it about it being french crap! Ring up AA! Oh and if anyone has used the AA five times in one membership term (12 months) you have to pay for any recovery after this! (Yes they have all been for my 172) - My main concern is the lock up what if this happended at 80mph?
LOL

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 29 June 2005

How come these engines are sh*te? Nearly everbody who owns one on here has had a post about it being broken or having probs at some point. I though my valver was bad. Imagine what a 172 will be like in 10 or 12 years, if they make it that far.
rubbish, when silly people redline their cars from cold, they deserve everything they get!!! if you threw your telly out of the window, you wouldnt complain to sony when it wouldn;t work the next time you plugged it in!!!!

cars have a limit, most cars get driven away on the back of a truck after a top gear review round the track.. i.e you can only abuse them so much!

EVO VII

my mk 1 172 has done 81k still going strong, in fact im going to a trackday at snetterton in her in late july.

the only problem ive had with it is a sticky throttle cable.

i dont drive like a fanny either but i do follow these simple rules.

let it warm up properly ( i dont mean wait till the water temp reads halfway, as its the oil temp thats important ) normally 10 - 15 mins.

Get it serviced when it needs to.

Keep it standard lol

Need advice here! Renault just came back to me, they need to remove the cylinder head to see whats wrong! £440 to find out what the problem. and there is a good chance it needs a replacement engine over £2000 with the labour included.

I havent got that type of money in the bank, Mrs American Express is going to love me. What should i do? I am half tempted to scrap the stupid car! Any advice i would be grateful!

Silver Fabia vRS

I take it its at Wests in Clapham, just outside Bedford? If you need me to do anything I can as its my local dealer and only 15 mins from my house

Id be strongly inclined, assuming its standard and has been properly serviced with Renault parts, to insist they pay.

An engine should not just die after so few miles - that is nothing short of disgraceful, especially as come selling time itll leave you with a new car and a changed engine.

Has anyone got a number i can ring for renault HQ! There must be a customer services department i can talk to about this. Thanks for the offer geoff_clio182 the dealer has been really nice to me about it, they are allowing me to leave the car with them until i sort something out!

sounds the same as what happened to my saxo. going down motorway bout 70mph (day after i had picked it up from the bodyshop!). engine made a funny noise exhaust popped alot. engine cut out lucky i was in the slow lane, had to drift across a slip road n came to a holt on the hard shoulder. oil and engine crap was all over the floor and smoke. apparently a piston ring or something of that kind had broke and flew through the head and basically destroyed the whole engine. damage was a new engine at a cost of £500 fully fitted by my dads mate only had 20k miles on it my old engine had 56k on it when it went. french engine again or maybe my first car syndrome where u ragg it all the time cos you can?!?! was a 1.1l though :oops:

172beast

Not be cambelt, wouldnt loose power if it was, thered just be a bang as pistons hit valves and car would cut out instantly. Also even Renault would be able to diagnose a snapped cambelt without taking the head off lol

Sorry to say but Renault customer service wont care, out of warrenty so you not get any compensation. Your best bet is to get a 2nd hand engine off that joined yoth for whatever he quoted plus fitting, sounded like a reasonable price to me, then sell it.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by Adie on 01 July 2005

Need advice here! Renault just came back to me, they need to remove the cylinder head to see whats wrong! £440 to find out what the problem. and there is a good chance it needs a replacement engine over £2000 with the labour included.

I havent got that type of money in the bank, Mrs American Express is going to love me. What should i do? I am half tempted to scrap the stupid car! Any advice i would be grateful!

f**k them off and ring me - tell them to drop all work coz there gonna screw you - i will save you £3000 mate......dont say i didnt warn you

08000 723372 Renault Customer Services

Dont even bother letting Renault do it. Its just not worth having the head taken of an engine might as well get a whole new one. The second the head comes of the bills start mounting up.

Definatly drop j3ned a message and get the AA or somehting to two the car to his workshops to do a proper job (just as good if not better than Renault).