ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup Failing M.O.T rear brakes...again

Clio 172 Cup
Hey guys, just had my cup fail MOT because of rear brakes not doing anything. Originally they thought it was because the load sensing actuating arm was missing but i showed them the vosa article and told them that they might want to try putting a cable tie on the valve. Anyway they did this and it still failed. Basically the rear brakes according to them are not working at all 0% and they dont know why. Does anyone know why this might be ?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Sticky piston, sticky sliders, stuck pad, blockage in brake line? Does the handbrake apply some braking force to that side?

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
I'm not sure tbh, as far as i'm aware they have done no real diagnostic work to find out why the rear brakes arent working. The rear discs are slightly rusted even though they are only a year and a half old but he told me that wouldnt be the problem. No rear braking from either side. They told me i might was well take the car away and are in the process of ringing Vosa. :S

Sounds dodgy

The cars put very very little braking force to the rear - mine passed but if I jack it up and put my foot on the brake you can still turn the rear wheels LOL

As said the bias valve could be blocked - the pistons could be seized, sliders could be seized - could be loads of things
But I'd possibly try getting a second opinion as it took me ages to get the mot people to pass mine

Also - check what they cable tied - if they cable tied the bias arm to the beam it won't break at all - you need to cable tie the arm UPWARDS to the chassis of the car

I spent an afternoon on mine - kept moving the bias valve arm up and down until it had de-rusted, then cable tied it up to the body of the car
Then I took my rear pads out and turned the pistons back in so I knew they were free - and greased the sliders - then put the pads back in
It went through then

Clio 197
how are your pads / discs / brake fluid?

I had trouble getting mine through last time until i showed them the VOSA article - you will be able to find my old thread if your interested. However there was no cable ties involved.