ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup Servicing / Tuning in Scotland

172 Cup
Hey all :) Been on here for a while lurking in the shadows :).

Had my little 172 cup for almost a year now and since I's due for its MOT at the end of March, thought I might as well do a but of work on it. I can't believe how happy I am with this little car and will probably keep it for a while.

I'm still a noobie when it comes to tuning these french beasts so apologies for the long post and will try to keep it brief:

A little on the car:
- Renault Clio 172 Cup, Phase 2 (2002)
- aprox. 65000 miles
- Based in Aberdeen
- Had a major service done - around end of Sept (fluids, pads, spark plugs, etc.).
- Recently had all belts changed @ Rentec (previous owner had them done but wanted to make sure) - around December.
- New tires all round.
- Scorpion Exhaust
- RSTuner GEN 98 map.

Planned upgrades:

1. Car refresh (pre - MOT - End of March)

- Suspensions (refresh cup suspension / better alternative ?)
- Brakes (new discs, pads / Brembo?; brake lines refresh as a bit corroded)
- Steering column check - Rentec advised a look at this during next service.
- Minor electrical fault (i.e. airbag light for driver side back) - had it fixed 2 times, still pops up.
- Engine refresh
- MOT.

2, Power upgrades (June)
- Not really looking to get more than 200 - 230bhp, more interested in making it more responsive and if possible free'ing it at the low rev range.

Would be interested in turbo'ing it but at the same time, looking into keeping the engine's reliability in good shape and maintain the car as a daily driver - I've got an Euro trip planned for this summer and car will need to be in tip top shape.

Budget wise, I\m thinking the following:
Pre Mot - March - £2000
June - £3500-4000

At the moment, I'm thinking of getting the work done at SWR in Sterling or Clark Mororsports in Aberdeen. Gave them both an email about it but still haven't heard anything back.

Looking forward to see what you guys think regarding the above and if you have any other recommendations / garage suggestions to carry out the work (which is not down South lol).

Cheers,
Mihai.

172 cup, Impreza P1
You've got a very reasonable budget but just a few questions. What do you mean about an engine refresh? Full strip and rebuild or change the oil? Very different cost involved in each option.

I would get itb's, cams, and a stand alone ecu for your budget. Turboing in my experience costs a lot more to be done right. You could get a low boost kit for your budget though.

Both of your chosen garages have good reputations so you should be in good hands with either.

172 Cup
Hey Cupman,

As far as I'm aware, engine is in pretty good condition so probably just an oil change. I can talk about electronics all day but I'm hopeless when it comes to anything mechanical.

trip this summer will involve doing around 6000 miles so I'm trying to figure out what's worth doing to have a piece of mind. what's why I might go for an engine rebuild but don't know if it's required or not.

I'll have to give SWR / clark motorsport a call next week. Has anyone got any contacts I could email ?

Thanks in advance,
Mihai.

You've got a very reasonable budget but just a few questions. What do you mean about an engine refresh? Full strip and rebuild or change the oil? Very different cost involved in each option.

I would get itb's, cams, and a stand alone ecu for your budget. Turboing in my experience costs a lot more to be done right. You could get a low boost kit for your budget though.

Both of your chosen garages have good reputations so you should be in good hands with either.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Hey Cupman,

As far as I'm aware, engine is in pretty good condition so probably just an oil change. I can talk about electronics all day but I'm hopeless when it comes to anything mechanical.

trip this summer will involve doing around 6000 miles so I'm trying to figure out what's worth doing to have a piece of mind. what's why I might go for an engine rebuild but don't know if it's required or not.

I'll have to give SWR / clark motorsport a call next week. Has anyone got any contacts I could email ?

Thanks in advance,
Mihai.

If it ain't broke and all that! For piece of mind, get a pressure check and a leak down test. I'd get all the fluids changed and possibly check the timing if you have any dowt.

For a 6k Road trip I'd not go too extreme with the mods and try and keep the reliability there.

Also make sure your brakes, suspension and bushes are all ok as well.