ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 help

Corsa looking at 172
Hi guys, just a quick questions really. I have been looking at a 172 on autotrader this morning and need some advise/help. The reason I haven’t phoned the seller is due to
The fact I cannot make outbound calls from work. Few questions if anyone can help.
In the ad he says the wrong type of gearbox has been fitted resulting in speedo not working, how could you do that? Anyone heard of it done before? I would plan on driving the car a good distance once collected so would it damage the engine at all? I know it would be better to ask the seller but I thought I seen a cliosport sticker on the rear window and thought to ask here for advise! Cheers in advance

link to vehicle ;
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...8ah/page/1/keywords/172/radius/1500?logcode=p

It's usually the sender isn't connected properly. If the gearbox is completely wrong, it wouldn't fit, surely?

I'd say avoid. Find another. There's plenty for sale.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Yeah, that could happen if he's fitted a 172 cup gearbox instead. But do you want to buy a car from someone like that?
I wouldn't say it was worth that much money with a speedo that doesn't, and never will, work either.

On the other hand, the bloke might be a complete tool and the speedo sensor is just broken?

The advert doesn't read very well. I'd give it a miss personally.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Agree, deffo not £1750 worth and the guy has openly said its had a gearbox fitted that's wrong so its unlikely to be a simple case of a £21 sender. Even a Megane 16v, Clio 16v or Williams box would fit and would take a sender unit so most likely to be a Cup box on there.

Is it a Phase 2 model you're specifically after cos £1750 will buy a straight Phase 1 (Which is the better shape IMO but has the nasty blue plastics).

Corsa looking at 172
yeah I also thought maybe it is a sender unit if the guy is an idiot. I have been looking at the phase 2 just through personal taste to be honest. I have never really been out in a phase 1 172 so it could be worth a look at. I knew i was scraping the barrell with my 2k budget for a phase 2 thanks for all the replys!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I don't think its a bad looking example myself and worth a circa £1k bid IMO but has it got any history, especially of timing belt changes? Use the box status and lack of belt history against him and don't be afraid of hurting his feelings as they're not cheap and essential on these cars.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
surely the speedo should work regardless of the gearbox.

the problem would only occur fitting a non speedo drive gearbox to a cup/ph1?

ph2 takes speedo from the ABS system..

Corsa looking at 172
MicKPM ; thats a good idea, ill phone him when i finish and see if there is any service history and if the belts have been changed (every 5years 72k? so should have had at least had them changed once)

iam not very mechanicaly minded so i dont know if the speedo would work with any gearbox

yeah the exhaust isnt to my taste either, suppose it add's to the "project" feel ofit to get it removed and that lol!

cheers again guys ill keep you's updated