ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Loud Banging Noise

I purchased another 172 clio yesterday and i got about 5 miles from home and could here a rattling noise, when i pulled over it was making a awful knocking noise near top of engine. We recovered it home left it for hour or so and it seemed normal but withing 2mins on the road it was back to its awful banging sounds. Ideas would be great thanks

RS6 C7
Most likely the Dephaser pulley rattling, Post a video up on youtube and paste the link in here. :)
f**ked dephasers usually make your car sound like a diesel when idling.

Evo 5 RS
Could be the top engine mounts severed, wouldn't be the first time. You don't want to drive it like that, can become quite costly

Give the engine a tug, the top mount is on the left hand side by the camcover

Sunflower Ph1 172
Could be the top engine mounts severed, wouldn't be the first time. You don't want to drive it like that, can become quite costly

Give the engine a tug, the top mount is on the left hand side by the camcover

Banging noise, could be engine mount. Vibrates under load, and bangs if you change gear aggressively. Changing mine tomorrow as it has sheared. £50 on ebay. Other than that it sounds like an engine problem, it wouldn't' be intermittent though if it was a slipped timing belt though, it'd be loud all the time.

Sorry i havent got a video up for you yet, im thinking the problem is my dephasor pulley....is there any way i can test that this is my problem? Will try get the cideo up for you tomorrow thanks

LY R26 #288
Best way is to let the guys on here listen to the sound.

The only real way to test it is to check it for play which is only possible with the cambelt off.