ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172

Hi

Im new to this forum so thought I would say Hi and I need some advise please.

Im very interested in buying a Clio 172 sport, im currently searching for a suitable car. What should I look for when viewing the car? e.g. what are the common faults that will cost me lots?

Im looking for a low mileage one at around £7k, insurance isnt a problem.

Also how often do they need services and roughly how much do they cost to be serviced?

Thanks in advanced for your help

Mark

They need servicing every 12k miles. the 12 and 24k service should cost between 150 and 200 depending on the dealer and the 36 etc will be a bit dearer.

As for problems they dont really suffer from anything other than niggling rattles etc, things to look for will be a buzzing from the centre section of the exhaust at 4,000 RPM this will need a new centre box. sometimes the pipe to rear silencer will corrode on the pipe or welds and snap off again a case of a new rear box. the airbag lights sometimes come on this is normally a loose connector under the seats so nothing major really. just do the usual checks you would with any car ie service history general condition any sign of accident damage (overspray or dodgy panel gaps) and have a decent drive of it to check all seems well.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

for 7k u will get a mint mk1 172 or a good mk2. mk1 are quicker but mk2 obviously newer. theres pros and cons to both mate. servicing is minor on 12k 24k major on 36k then a cycle like that.....48k minor 60k minor 72 major (cambelt). both mint cars!

Thanks for the replies. When you say major service on 36k what needs to be done and what sort of costs are we talking.

Im well looking forward in getting one. What are they like on fuel consumption I know on parkers it states 35mpg but I dont always believe what parkers state. How many miles would you get out of £20 worth of fuel?

Thanks again

Depends how you drive it, if you hammer the living sh*t out of it you can get it down as low as about 10mpg but ive also seen as high as 45mpg on a steady 55/60mph run on a flat a road.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Love my 172! Good choice for a car-rag the nuts off mine,but it loves it!;)

I bought a Ph2 172 last month and in the past had a 16V and Williams. £7,800 got me a very smart 02 example with 19k miles on the clock - I bought privately from a local Cliosport member.

I was also considering a brand new 182, 172 Cup and Ph1 172 (in that price order). In the end, the Ph2 172 best balanced value for money and equipment.

I drive fairly economically for the greater part, but do thrash it now and again. Over the last 500 miles, the 172 has averaged 34mpg. I think thats pretty good - especially when my last car (Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo) was doing well under 25mpg on average. Id say that £20 takes me about 200 miles.

There arent many common faults - just "niggles". Ive had to have a quick shuffle around the airbag wires under the passenger seat and the exhaust is a bit buzzy (despite already being done under warranty), but these are minor quibbles and dont detract much from the ownership experience.

My humble opinion is that the 172/182 are excellent day-to-day hot hatches and balance B-road thrills with practicality better than any other car I can think of. Driving mine doesnt quite have the sense of occasion as my old Williams, but the more subtle appeal means that the hot hatch Clio has kind of grown up with me - and its defiitely long-term material.

Scirocco GT 210

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 03 March 2005

Depends how you drive it, if you hammer the living sh*t out of it you can get it down as low as about 10mpg but ive also seen as high as 45mpg on a steady 55/60mph run on a flat a road.

I got 51.7 mpg out of my 172 once, after a 70 mile run across Wales :)

Thanks guys. Im definitely going to get one now its just the matter of finding a decent one. im in no rush so I will take my time. Thanks again for your help

My advice, Mark, would be to buy one from a forum member. Im sure your budget would secure one that is under 3 years old - meaning that youd have the balance of the warranty as peace of mind.

Id also have a good think about which one is for you. Theres no "right" choice, but as youll probably have seen, there are plenty of distinctive choices in what is a pretty narrow price bracket (£6-8k). Fortunately for you, that will buy you a very nice example of any of the Ph1 172, Exclusive, Ph2 172 or Cup variants.

Good luck!