ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Cup - possible newbie but.....

The question is do I really want one, i need convincing on this matter!

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but couldnt find a newbies section or dimwits section so please move mods if in the wrong place!

Anyway better say Hi to everyone first, newbie here from Edinburgh, used to own a 52 plate Civic Type R til the licence was cruelly taken away, sold that and now in the market for a new car. I was going to go for a used Audi S3, BMW 300d, another Type R or I have just been offered by a friend of my Dads a very very cheap brand new Clio 182 Cup at over 2k less than list price. The car is in the racing blue with the competition stripes and i think is a standard cup from what i can gather, there is not a lot else you can choose?!

Anyway would love to hear everyones thoughts on the car, the rest of my family drive Renaults from Meganes to Espaces, mainly due to the good deals we get from family friend who owns a renualt dealership.
Has anyone had a Civic Type R and changed and if so what do you think. Reliability and build quality seem to be the only issues that keep creeping up here, and also the ride heights being a bit high?!

Thanks and look forward to hopefully some replies?!

Cheers,

Dave

Do I want a Clio Cup 182? Convince me!

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

simple answer - YES

Ive gone from a 210bhp cupra and im happy as lary with my 172 so much more involved and just a good fun car! that generaly puts a smile on your face!

How u doin Dave. Think this is my first post. Well as you probably know from TRS i owned a CTR for a year followed by the Scoob. Ive had the 182, with suspension pack for just over a month now. Compared with the CTR its a very similar beast, with the fun beginning above 5K revs. I actually find its less work keeping the 182 in the power band compared to the CTR. Straight line performance there aint anything in it between the 182/CTR. Probably above 1-- mph the CTR should have a bit of an edge.

Handling is where the 182 shines, i can honestly say it holds the road better than the CTR and the Scoob(my own opinion). Steering feel is very precise, it offers a lot of feedback, and you really have to push it to break traction. Economy wise its superb, i am filling up once per week now, compared to 2-3 times with the scoob. Running costs up and above fuel i have not had experience with yet, cant see it being costly though.

now for the bad points.- typical renault, mines has rattled its head off from day one, front dash, back quarter panel, tailgate, passenger seat, passenger window. Had it into renault last friday, and i new the outcome before i left the dealer. it was still rattling its head off in the same bloody places. so back it goes this friday with a more heavy handed approach.

So in my opinion-fun car always gives you a grin, not to costly to run, cheap as chips to buy.

downside poor build quality, rattles too much(turn up the stereo), piss poor renault dealerships. But i suppose you know that anyway.

Buy one

Keevster:)

Thanks guys!

Keevster yeah i know and was expecting the rattly comments but i am pretty sure if they can be fixed i will get them fixed, i hope! Anyway also interested to hear the comments on 182 vs cup, people seem to be slating the cup as the cheepo option and not anymore fun, if anything less fun as it doesnt really have any toys goodies - any owners care to comment?!

I hope I am not going to make the wrong choice buying the cup over the normal 182, it is cheaper but i could stretch to a 182 again heavily discounted.

Do people like the racing blue with the competition stripes does it look any better in the proper light of day as opposed to pics? keevster your black with anth wheels look really good, just hope i dont hate the racing blue!

Dave

Edinburgh eh? Buy my Mk 1 172, you wont regret it...

There is a meet at Hermiston Gait this Friday if you want to meet some members and some gay boys.

ClioSport 182

I went from an Audi S3 with 210 bhp to the 182 Clio (there was a Focus 1.6i in the middle but we wont mention that too much!).

182 Clio is much more fun to drive and the engine noise rocks, some people have complained about the cabin noise from the engine, but I have always maintained that it is a positive selling point. The S3 was too refined and did alot of the driving for you, almost giving a remote sensation.

The build quality is not the best, but dont let people convince that itll fall to pieces two days after ownership, this is not true. Expect one or two rattles.

KnightAzul

there are a few pics on here that give you a better idea of what the colour looks like in the flesh some pictures dont do it justice. ill write a longer reply about 172/182 vs ctr later as ive got a 172 about to replace it with a 182 and have access to a ctr too, suffice to say they are a very different drive.

Is it the new 182 cup your on about or a 182 with cup package?

How much are you gettin the car for mate?

An audi S3 is a more classy car and has great tuning potential however a good 1 is going to cost you £15-16000

Racing blue is smart. That was my first choice, but having to wait 8-10 weeks did not appeal. I am sure by the reading i have done that the cup will probably be a very similar drive to the 182 with cup suspension. not to many differences.

I paid 12k for mine, pre-reg off course, delivery miles, was over the moon with that price, considering the first dealership i tried wanted 15k for the same bloody car?.

Dont think you will be making the wrong move buying one. personally i think residuals will be very good up here in scotland, as i can honestly say i have not seen one since i put mine on the road.

Keevster

Yaris Hybrid

Depends what you are going to do with the car.

Perhaps the 182 would be better for trackdays due to its superior handling.

For going to work and the usual dual carriageway drag racing I think you should go for another Type R.

I have owned my 182 for 21 days and have only actually had it on my drive for 6 days because of all the stuff wrong with it - the other 15 days have been spent with dealers who have if anything made it worse. I expect it will still creak and rattle when I get it back. Its only done 400 miles and I did 275 of those so its not exactly run-in yet but I really hope it gets a lot faster with the miles as I am thoroughly unimpressed at the moment. The 275 miles gave me one heck of a back ache but the handling was most impressive.

I liked the price a well which is something that works against the Honda but maybe you get what you pay for.

dk

911 GTS Cab

forget the 182 cup, go for a full fat one, you will only regret nbot having the same car but with more options and comfort.

Only reason to go for a 182 cup is if you REALLY cant afford to stretch to the normal 182.

EP3 Civic Type R

Personally this is my opinions only.... but id have a CTR over any clio willy to 182 etc.... just my 2 pence... im a big fan of clios though thats why im here.... love a 172 or willy 1 gr8 cars.... just CTR for me is something special

Compared to a CTR the 182 is a bit rattley and feels small inside - on the positive it does better mpg and the steering is in a different league. On the road theres really nothing between them performance wise. Depreciation will always be bad (mine cost £13k, now worth £10k+ after 6 months) so get a pre-reg or 1 owner 182 with Cup packs if you can. I test drove the new CTR loads before I went for the 182; it came down to steering and £3k in the end.

As others have said, build quality isnt as bad as some think - mine hasnt had one problem (touch wood!) in 7.5k miles, and the local dealer seems really good (Nicholas Smiths in Skipton). I had more problems with my Accord Type-R!

astra break

I had to make the choice between CTR and a 182. I test drove both. The CTR is one splendid machine in Power but the difference in Power aint that big at all. Why did I choose the 182? the 182 was about 2600£ cheaper had these nice toys on it like cruise control, climate control, automatic wipers/ lights, etc. As I needed this a a daily drive my choice was made rather fast. Nevertheless the CTR is a beast as well !!! I cant complain about my 182 so far (only have it since the 1st of october tho).