ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 not starting if left for more then 12hrs (NOT TDC SENSOR)

Clio 182 FF
I need a diagram of what relay to replace for the fuel pump? (I think)

My car does start if it has been started up within 12hrs if started up after 12hrs (i'm guessing the fuel pressure has dropped) it will only start on second attempt. Or If I turn the ignition on then off then on (not turning engine on) (hear the priming sound) then will fire up perfectly.

I have tried a few things, no TDC sensor, new coil pack, new battery!! (all needed replacing really anyway)

I am now thinking a relay!!! any knowledge would be great!!!

Clio 182 FF
I've just tried something else, If I turn on the ignition (first attempt) it doesn't make the priming sound regardless of how long I leave it (but will start if under around 12hrs). Then turn off ignition and back on now it makes the sound of priming! fires up. Then I turn off the ignition on no priming always seems to prime on second attempt never first of turning the ignition on.

still think its the fuel pressure regulator?

Clio 182 FF
Brilliant, kind of happy now as I know what it is. Can I get the fuel pressure regulator seperate? Or does it come with the fuel pump?

​Isnit easy enough to fit?

Clio 182 FF
any info would be great, all I can seem to find on here is race system fuel pressure regulator.

Think I've got the same problem, although yesterday after cleaning the crank angle sensor, it started first attempt. Then this morning it needed two attempts, as per usual. Very interested!

Will try not cranking the first time tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 FF
Have just ordered a fuel pump. Will hopefully be fitting it over the weekend. Will update if its rectifies the problem I get every morning!!

Have also noticed since I turn the key on and off before I start up. It doesn't pop and bang and act really jerky like it use to every morning. Just starts up lovely runs like a cold engine would.

Clio 182 FF
i'm guessing the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel pump? Also is their any point of changing the fuel filter? my cars covered 55,000 miles.

Clio 182 FF
I thought the fuel sender unit was the fuel pump!! I've ordered the round cylinder shape thing with the float on the side.

Clio 182 FF
fitted the new fuel sender unit today, will come back with feedback tomorrow if all is fine with the start up!

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
Mines goes through spells of doing this every few months then fixes itself. Good to know there's a solution if it decides to do it all the time.

Clio 182 FF
the car started first time this morning, didn't have to prime by turning the ignition on and off..

Wont be completely convinced until it starts up a couple more times first time when leaving it for more then 12hrs.

Good news to hear! How much was the part and would you mind letting me know how much work's involved in swapping it? Thanks

Clio 182 FF
I bought a fuel sender unit what had done 35k miles from eBay for £17 inc p&p.

fitting wise it took me no longer than 5 minutes quickly unscrew the black ring under the drivers side rear passenger seat, then unclip the fuel lne, remove the fuel sender unit wack the new one in. Make sure you get the sill lined up. then takes around two to three attempts to fire up!

Just pm if you get any problems.

Clio 182 FF
Just thought I'd do a little update.

The car is running perfectly! starts up straight away every morning. So after buying a new TDC sensor, coil pack and HT leads! it was a £17 fuel sender unit!

Clio 182 FF
It's happened again, doesn't want to start first time! Unless I turn the ignition on and off then will fire up. Has to be left more then 11hrs (probably enough time for the fuel pressure to drop)

Does anyone know what relay is the fuel pump relay?

Clio 182 FF
A second hand one... I was thinking it's developed the same fault as my old one. I just wanted to rule out relays.

The ecu only primes after the key has been turned once already. It's not the relay. It's the regulator, this is why when my customers want it sorting I won't fit a second hand part as you don't know if it's any better than yours.