ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 racing blue turbo build

Another update :

Was just heading upto ktec to pick car up it was only just as I left I got a call from andy.

The situation is good but again another niggle.

1st - andy said at .5 bar it made 225 bhp with 210 lbft torque at 3000 rpm.
2nd. Once andy started wheeling more boost the cooling system started to boil, he inspected the cooling system in which he explained needs to be re arranged...
His objective is to hit 1.2-1.3 bar and thinks this will hit the region of the 290- 300 barrier which is very good to hear!

But again I've got to wait and wait for ktecs new bill which I can feel it's gonna be more money I don't have .
Fingers crossed.

If it's started to boil there's underlying issues. The few I've mapped with the coolant pipes routed like that have sailed through the 300bhp barrier without any issues. Sorry to say!

Running coolant system through heater matrix but they doing from header tank and thermostat

That'll cause more issues than how you've done it. Such as melting header tank lids. Had that happen on my one, rerouted so they ran via the heater matrix with no issues atall. I know Andy at Clio turbo has changed his routing to the heater matrix pipes because of this too.

Last edited:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
As above, I'm running the turbo in parallel with the heater matrix and never had any issues either....... Is it definitely boiling or over pressurising?

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
I don't want to be negative but I'd hate to see the engine blow up, please take it to another reputable mapper afterwards

clio 182
It is going in for mapping again today so this will prove whether they were right or not... at the end of the day I don't believe andy is a bad mapper ... I spoke to Paul at tech 1 and he said he's not a bad mapper but ktec don't give him enough time ... but tbh ktec have been quite helpful and andy has been giving alot of time on my car to work on... I know savage ran this cooling setup at 330 bhp... think the only thing that's annoyed me is paying the stupid labour rate which is costing me a bomb but there's no point me taking it back to devon to fix to bring it back to be told another problem to have to drive it back again so it saves the agro.. your saying take it to a more reputable mapper ... why is that? Andy in my opinion is a good mapper , he designed the software for gen 90 so he know how it works - I don't see many people being able to design stuff like that. Last month someone took a megane for mapping at ktec and blew up on the way home, they automatically blamed ktec but it turned out to be it spun a bearing so it was the build and the fact ni one has any mechanical sympathy they just scream the crap out there cars what do they expect ??

clio 182
Everyone has bad days on the office - but in this trade people forget about all the good things and will remember and dwell on the bad - if it goes bang then it's more likely my build than the mapping people just automatically blame mapping cos that's the only thing they want to come up with ascan excuse..yes there could be the odd fee that maybe the mapping but that could happen elsewhere but not be seen through. Whether your ktec, clio turbo , engine dynamics, rs tuning - there have all been c**k ups .... yet I've heard alot of about clio turbo and his c**k ups but that goes unseen even though I know he's fantastic and puts in good quality and the efi mapping its top draw. It's just different people prefer different places... I'm not willing to travel 12 hours cos i really dont have the too go to efi to get my car mapped when I csn travel an hour down the road to ktec.

HBT 172 Cup
My main problem on my new build was excessive pressure blowing pipes of the heater matrix. Although overkill i ended up independantly cooling the turbo, but havent had an issue since thankfully. Nice results, good luck with cranking the boost up, it all starts getting very fun (Y)

clio 182
The way I see it is different companies have different ways .. ktec have seen that it's not cooling properly and have changed to how they route it, from what they're saying I can understand... in which it was on the mapping today and the cooling issue is now fine so it has worked.

Now the update is they've got it upto more boost pressure but now it keeps blowing a boost pipe, they rang me to say they can see I cut the boost pipework but haven't got any flanges/lip around them so there was nothing for them to really prevent it popping off, obviously to save me spending 350 quid on there pipework I've told them to take the ones that need lips welded around them to prevent this happening, I was thinking this when I cut them to fit this will probably happen and I was correct.

Now I know a mate in exmouth chris is running 300bhp with his and his pops hoses off occasionally so maybe this could also be the problem chris if u haven't got lips on yours... ?... @Stopherson

Other than that the car is running good and is nearly there and andy thinks the figures will be good!

My main problem on my new build was excessive pressure blowing pipes of the heater matrix. Although overkill i ended up independantly cooling the turbo, but havent had an issue since thankfully. Nice results, good luck with cranking the boost up, it all starts getting very fun (Y)

Clio 172 turbo
The way I see it is different companies have different ways .. ktec have seen that it's not cooling properly and have changed to how they route it, from what they're saying I can understand... in which it was on the mapping today and the cooling issue is now fine so it has worked.

Now the update is they've got it upto more boost pressure but now it keeps blowing a boost pipe, they rang me to say they can see I cut the boost pipework but haven't got any flanges/lip around them so there was nothing for them to really prevent it popping off, obviously to save me spending 350 quid on there pipework I've told them to take the ones that need lips welded around them to prevent this happening, I was thinking this when I cut them to fit this will probably happen and I was correct.

Now I know a mate in exmouth chris is running 300bhp with his and his pops hoses off occasionally so maybe this could also be the problem chris if u haven't got lips on yours... ?... @Stopherson

Other than that the car is running good and is nearly there and andy thinks the figures will be good!
I sorted mine with decent hose clips and a couple I doubled up because I couldn't be fucked to remove the old ones. job jobbed

turbo 182
I sorted mine with decent hose clips and a couple I doubled up because I couldn't be fucked to remove the old ones. job jobbed
Flare the ends of the boost pipe, so when on boost the flare on the pipe is pulling onto the clamp

= no more boost pipes popping off

clio 182
Flare the ends of the boost pipe, so when on boost the flare on the pipe is pulling onto the clamp

= no more boost pipes popping off
mine was just one boost pipe but i told them to flare any that needed doing as you can fix one but itll bound to blow another one.
im hoping this will sort it and not cost me too much as ive spent alot on them now.

I do know this but having shot clamps to begin with didn't help

yeah thats what i told ktec, i said the clamps might be crap but got the boost pipes flared first and will see if that helps, if it continues to play up ill get a new set of clamps!

Clio 172 turbo
mine was just one boost pipe but i told them to flare any that needed doing as you can fix one but itll bound to blow another one.
im hoping this will sort it and not cost me too much as ive spent alot on them now.

yeah thats what i told ktec, i said the clamps might be crap but got the boost pipes flared first and will see if that helps, if it continues to play up ill get a new set of clamps!
They are ally pipes so won't be cheap would need to be tiged

clio 182
They are ally pipes so won't be cheap would need to be tiged

they know some guy down the road from them that does ally welding - its cheaper that way then spending for a ktec kit any how!... either that or i leave it at low boost 225bhp .. which i will not be happy with

You can flare them yourself have a look on YouTube theirs loads of ways. Not as neat as ones you buy ready done but it works I tried it on my old set of pipes. One way on their was filing a tooth off some wire crimps and clamping all the way round the end of the pipe it creates the lip.

HBT 172 Cup
If you can be arsed to send the pipe(s) to me, i can put a flare on them for you (i have a flaring tool).

I detest the huge T bolt style boost clamps, they are not much better than a normal clamp imo. I have always used JCS hi grip stainless clamps with great results, you can buy a complete set for all your boost pipes on ebay for probably £15 or so.

Clio 172 turbo
If you can be arsed to send the pipe(s) to me, i can put a flare on them for you (i have a flaring tool).

I detest the huge T bolt style boost clamps, they are not much better than a normal clamp imo. I have always used JCS hi grip stainless clamps with great results, you can buy a complete set for all your boost pipes on ebay for probably £15 or so.
[emoji106] yea I tried the big t bolt clamps they are s**t I'm using jcs hi grips now they are brilliant and cheap

Clio 172 turbo
You can flare them yourself have a look on YouTube theirs loads of ways. Not as neat as ones you buy ready done but it works I tried it on my old set of pipes. One way on their was filing a tooth off some wire crimps and clamping all the way round the end of the pipe it creates the lip.
I've just googled this and I'll be making a tool for this tomorrow at work [emoji106] cheers

clio 182

I would, but the car is with ktec and dorset is about 1 hour 45 mins from me, I dont have time to drive down there atm lol, you guys got a link to the jcs clamps?

turbo 182
[emoji106] yea I tried the big t bolt clamps they are s**t I'm using jcs hi grips now they are brilliant and cheap
Why didn't you like the t bolt clamps? I had the hi grip prior to the t bolt kind but they kept popping off even with flared ends, using the t bolt now and no issues

Clio 172 turbo
T bolt clamps don't clamp perfectly round so create boost leaks. If you use genuine JCS Hi-Grip clips they'd rated to 7 bar, so you won't have any issues :)
I found also they was expanding with heat and the jcs ones have been spot on

clio 182

Not yet mate - ktec have sent the boost pipes to ramair to be done and waiting for them to get back to me - hoping it'll be done soon.

Financially struggling atm as my 206 diesel daily is playing up and requires work (just my luck) so I hope ktec don't charge to much more ivr spent rediculous amount over my budget I had for this build ! :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Not yet mate - ktec have sent the boost pipes to ramair to be done and waiting for them to get back to me - hoping it'll be done soon.

Financially struggling atm as my 206 diesel daily is playing up and requires work (just my luck) so I hope ktec don't charge to much more ivr spent rediculous amount over my budget I had for this build ! 😧
Ah right ok. Well I hope it all goes smoothly and you get it back soon without breaking the bank!

Clio 172 turbo

Financially struggling atm as my 206 diesel daily is playing up and requires work (just my luck) so I hope ktec don't charge to much more ivr spent rediculous amount over my budget I had for this build ! :(
Why have they sent them to remair? I thought they was having someone run a bead around them

clio 182
Why have they sent them to remair? I thought they was having someone run a bead around them

Ywah ramair did it - they done it very cheap tbf and atleast it's done by a big company like themselves - it's on the dyno again Monday for the 4th time... hope nothing else plays uo else the car is seriously going up for sale if it does I'm so skint it's unreal!

clio 182
Updates mate?

Yes indeed : again more little issues -
The car is making power amazingly ! It's making 300bhp and 300 lbft with 0.9 bar which is brilliant !!! But apparently there is a massive at 5000 rpm so they're trying to figure what the issue is : they thinking it's heading towards the plugs as obviously I was over fuelling for a long time on my base map sp tomorrow they're sticking new plugs in and checking again - they were asking about vvt as I left it unplugged but as ivr been told megane pistons will clash wth clio valves it run vvt so I left the solenoid unplugged.... Other than this I'm absolutely chuffed with what sort of power it's in the region of at such low boost.... amazing! Yes it's gonna cosy a little bit more but It allows them to make sure everything is right.
Will update once I got exact figures

clio 182
i would be leaving a note on that plug or cutting it off tbh, if someone just happened to see it was unplugged and plugged it back in, bad things may happen
good power at low ish boost, what plugs do you have in there?

I have told them not to plug it back in - and I'm using iridium spark plugs,they were covered in black from the time I ran 630cc injectors on my base map so that could of made them abit shitty ! And thanks mate ! It's Deffo good power for that boost assuming it's a gt25!