ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 running very rough after sealing the cam cover bolts due to oil leak

Clio 182
Hi everyone,

So I had the common issue of oil leaking from the bolts on the cam assembly (which I believe are the cam cap bolts?) and carried out the fix today. Removed the upper plenum and undid each bolt one by one, putting sealant at the head of the bolt and replacing. All went back together ok but started the car and now it is running super rough, so bad to the point that i woulfdn't drive it - popping and banging etc.

Does anyone know what this is??? There are no warning lights showing and now I'm worried that i have some how caused a serious issue

Clio 182
I need to have a look tomorrow but I don't think anything was trapped. Do you think i could have messed up the timing when taking out the bolts or is that unlikely?

Clio 182
air leak will give you high idle, timing will be fine. iat sensor plugged in?
I'm pretty confident all sensors are plugged back in. Giving it a check over tonight and am going to collect the manifold seal (part number 8200052311 if anyone needs it) tonight from Reno to see if that solves the problem. Fingers crossed and will update later

330i. E30 Touring.
It's written on the coilpack.

And as facing the engine, the cylinders go 4-3-2-1 from left to right.

Clio 182
Hi guys. Replaced the manifold seal and checked the config of the leads and these were the problem. I hadn't put them back correctly! Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it!

On another note, whilst i was at it i checked the spark plugs and cylinder 3s spark plug was very black. Any thoughts on what this could be? I do have a lumpy idle and there is an orange light on the dash (bottom right) which flashes when sitting but goes off when you get going.