ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - UCH upgrade N2 to N3

Black Gold Trophy
What would be the easiest way of doing this?

I'm currently fitting climate control and auto lights/wipers to a 182 Cup and despite having the wiring diagrams to and the knowledge/experience to make up a custom loom to get it working, I would rather have it working from the UCH to keep everything looking factory (even if the wires are hidden I'm a fussy git).

My understanding is that the UCH is paired with the ECU and immobiliser transponder, so it should be easy enough to get a second hand set from a car with N3 specification and swap everything over.
However would this mean that the car would take on the mileage reading of the donor car? I'm not sure where the mileage is stored, I'm presuming like most cars of the same age it is stored in multiple locations?

The alternative is to buy an uncoded N3 specification UCH from renault and then have it coded to the car with one of the 'CAN CLIP' computers (I assume that's what they use to do it).
However I've been led to believe by a company that unlocks and recodes UCHs that if the car had an N2 UCH fitted from factory, once you code a new or unlocked UCH to the car it will then be N2 due to the code used from the original?

If anyone could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jack

BMW M135i
Miliage is stored in the clocks so don't worry about that. UCHs officially can't be uncoded and recoded but whether and outside company can do it is another question. Its easy(ish) to code a fresh uch to a car with clip/set it up but you'll need someone who knows what they're doing because theres good scope to fvck it up.

Black Gold Trophy
Thanks mate.

So what happens if you replace the clocks? That just seems like it would be too easy to fiddle the mileage by changing the clocks from a lower mileage car?

Do you know how if the UCH would retain its functions if I was to buy an N3 specification unit from Renault and then code it to a car that previously had an N2 spec UCH?

Golf GTD Mk7
You can program the UCH to do certain things ie. light, wipers etc, but it's the immobiliser code part that's a faff. FYI new UCH is around £300 so not the cheapest option. I'd be suprised if the UCH you have doesn't have the option for climate control in it. What model is the N2 from? I'm sure mine is an N2 and i'm running climate?

Black Gold Trophy
You can program the UCH to do certain things ie. light, wipers etc, but it's the immobiliser code part that's a faff. FYI new UCH is around £300 so not the cheapest option. I'd be suprised if the UCH you have doesn't have the option for climate control in it. What model is the N2 from? I'm sure mine is an N2 and i'm running climate?

Thanks mate. Yeah I've read about this in the workshop manuals, some functions are automatic, some have to be manually configured. Some of the functions are N3 only, including 'autolights' and 'rain sensitive wiping'. So I'll definitely want the N3 UCH if I'm to fit these bits. However as far as I can see so far, the climate control is not controlled by the UCH. It has a live feed from the UCH and that's about it. I'm tempted to try and get this working on the existing UCH if possible then post up a guide to show cup owners what they need and how to fit the climate control.

However it would be nice to get the auto lights and rain sensitive wipers working. I know it would be easier to sell the car and get a FF model, however for me it is an interesting challenge and I would like to get it working.

FYI Jack, if its any use, i have all the UCH, keys, ECU, transponder, etc from Guppys 182 still on the car ...

Thanks mate, if I need them and you still have them I will certainly be in touch.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
Quoted from the Clio workshop manual:

"The UCH is located behind the dashboard on the left
hand side.
This computer contains most of the electronic units,
including the engine immobiliser decoder.
There are four UCH models, depending on the level of
equipment installed in the vehicle:​
!​
a bottom of the range (N2) version,

!​
a top of the range (N3) version,

!​
a specific version for the F9Q bottom of the range
(N2)
engine.

!​
a specific version for the F9Q top of the range (N3)

engine.​

NOTE
: the top of the range UCH may be fitted in place

of the bottom of the range UCH."

Doesn't necessarily state that it will function as a top of the range UCH though! :S

BMW M135i
If its a N2 unit it can't physically provide N3 features, but an N3 unit can be installed and configured to only give N2 features. But not the other way around.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If its a N2 unit it can't physically provide N3 features, but an N3 unit can be installed and configured to only give N2 features. But not the other way around.

I've never really looked at full UCH re-configuration before; other than removing tyre pressure monitor function for taxi drivers and key coding that's about as far as i've gone but the above makes sense and I assume this is to allow the 'N3' to cater for the additional inputs required to trigger the outputs that actuate the auto-lights that the 'N2' simply doesn't have.

Climate control specifically, bar the power and 'display/control' wiring shouldn't be UCH dependant as the ECM is the only system that needs to know when "demand" from the A/C compressor is made so it can ramp up the idle speed to cater for the additonal load placed upon the engine. The UCH may send this "demand" signal when you press the button (? I'm really not sure) but as far as the UCH is concerned, regulated A/C and non-regulated A/C is the same thing.

Black Gold Trophy

Cheers. Yeah I know the above, but what I wanted to know was: can an N3 unit only be installed in the place of an N2 to give only N2 features, or can an N3 unit be installed and all its extra features utilised? (ie: not restricted to only carrying out N2 functions).

@MicKPM: Thanks mate, I was thinking earlier that essentially all the ECU would need to know is aircon on or off, so it shouldn't be too complicated. Are you a Renault Tech then?

BMW M135i
Cheers. Yeah I know the above, but what I wanted to know was: can an N3 unit only be installed in the place of an N2 to give only N2 features, or can an N3 unit be installed and all its extra features utilised? (ie: not restricted to only carrying out N2 functions).

@MicKPM: Thanks mate, I was thinking earlier that essentially all the ECU would need to know is aircon on or off, so it shouldn't be too complicated. Are you a Renault Tech then?
No, the UCH provides whatever features it can that you have configured it to.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
uchoptions.jpg

Last edited:
  Black Gold Trophy
Right, the looms have been changed over, climate control works, however the sidelights (front and rear), main beam and dipped now longer work.
This is because the N3 UCH runs the headlamps, whereas the N2 UCH has a relay in the indicator stalk to control these functions.

Now I'm left with a bit of a dilemma...

Do I...

A) Put it all back to standard and forget about it
B) Get a second hand N3UCH, ECU and Keys.... BUT will the car take on the mileage of the donor car?
C) Get a brand new uncoded N3UCH from Renault, and have it programmed in by someone with a clip to have it all working with the standard ECU keys etc
D) Make up a seperate loom for the lights and splice it into the new loom

?

BMW M135i
I'd go with C personally the cost of a UCH isn't as great as it used to be, otherwise B will work fine and the miliage will stay with the car as its stored in the clock.

Black Gold Trophy
Are you 100% sure on the mileage? The only other thing is the chassis number can be read when you plug into the diagnostic socket, and if I take option B it would look really dodgy if the chassis nos don't match!

www.renparts.co.uk
you can get an ecu kit N3 for about £150 used, and the mileage is stored in the clock set only. You could get some of the money back reselling your old kit also.

Black Gold Trophy
Nice one, is there any difference between the ABS on a FF to a cup? As that doesn't appear to be too happy about me swapping the loom either. No fault codes, but ABS, serv and ESP lights are on

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
I've emailed rentech for a quote.
I havent called any dealers yet as I'm dreading hearing something like "what's this UCH business that you're on about?"

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Jack - as i'm sure you know, we have an N3 UCH, keys, decoding ring, etc etc etc in Guppys old bus.

Drop me a pm if you want them :)

Oh, & thanks for stripping most of the interior for me lol!!

Black Gold Trophy
Managed to get the ABS/ESP to behave, turns out it was just a couple of loose connections.

Put an N3UCH in out of another car, lights and everything work perfectly.

Black Gold Trophy
All done!

Got a new N3 UCH from renault for £200+vat (trade) and managed to haggle Wilsons in Epsom down to £65+vat to code it to the ECU and keys.

Everything works perfectly now, I also have auto lights and wipers, just need the solar reflective screen to bond the light sensor to :)

I'll have to put some pictures up, is this the first Cup -> Full Fat conversion?