ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 V Clio 172

Clio 182 & Clio 172
Hi Guys,

I've not posted in a while, had a few things going on... but basically, I currently have a 106 GTi soon to be up for sale... I'm looking at buying a new car and on my list is a Clio...

I've heard rumours and comments about both 182s and 172s and was wondering if anyone can actually give me some decent advice on which would be better for me to get and then suggested modifications as to be honest, my knowledge is with 106's not clio's!!!

I enjoy driving quickly (who doesnt) but a must, is a car that handles. I've only ever had 106's and have no faults with them (except that theyre french!) they handle very well and the road i drive to work i need something that will handle.....

If anyone can give me some information/advice/wisdom or anything please do :)

Ta Muchly xxx

VaVa
182 Trophy or a 172 Cup if handling is your be all and end all. Compromise would be 182 with cup suspension.

Any 1*2 can have the suspension imporoved, for a few hundred quid, to be better than any standard car, though.

But out of the box, those two are the best.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
In order of epicnessness:

182 Trophy/172 Cup/PH 1 172 - super epic
182 (Cup packed) - fairly epic
182 (non-cup packed) - epic
172 (Ph2) - black sheep

For £1.5k-£2.5k buy a PH1 172
For £2.5k-£3.5k buy a 172 Cup
For £3.5k-£5.5k buy a 182 (Cup Packed)
For £5.5k+ buy a 182 Trophy

:star:

VaVa
See I don't rate the way the ph1 handles at all.... It's so subjective!

having said that... in all honesty, you're not going to get any standard clio blow your mind in the handling dept, after a 106 GTi, imho.

Clio 182 & Clio 172
Okies cool, thanks guys... I know suspension can be changed and made more effective, tbh that would more than likely be on my list..

does anyone have any set ups that work well?? E.G. Koni, spax etc
Sorry for probably dumb questions just want to know!!

Clio 182 & Clio 172
Thanks, you guys really are helpful!!

Money doesnt matter, the other cars I'm looking at are a ickle bit more expensive than a clio!! lol

Clio 182 & Clio 172
Well I have Koni Adjustables on my GTi and I had Billstein on my first 106, Both of which were good set ups, I have done track but tbh with the luck I have with french cars probably do me good to not do track anymore!! haha!!

I know where to find parts for pugs really easily but hopefully everyone will be kind enough to give me some helpful shoppin hints and help me spend my money lol

Koni do a shock and spring kit but no coilovers from memory, and Bilstein do a non adjustable dampening coilover kit. The cheapest I found the Bilsteins for believe it or not was at Euro Car Parts for £880, and K-tec sell them for over £1050!

Clio 182 & Clio 172
wow theres a bit of difference in that!! I've had a few ideas of what exterior modifications I want to do, just curious as to what potential the engines have? Obviously if its power Im looking to boost am I right in thinking the 182 is better than the 172 (heard rumours 172 are better/cheaper to tune)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I run the B14 Coilover kit on my 172 Cup. Not decked, about 10-15mm lower than standard, its a right B road weapon tbh!

172's are better in the fact you can get 'better' aftermarket suspension. Billstein/KW/Koni dont cater for Cup/Cup-packed 182's. This was a reason i steered away from a 182.

I've had them all 172 Cup, 182, 197, and imo the 172 with matched inlets, decat and remap feel the most brutal. The 182's tend to be smoother in power delivery imo. In terms of straightline grunt, there is no real difference between the two, you get good and bad ones.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Depends on the money you want to spend and what creature comfots you want. My self i'd go for a 172 Cup, look great and then get some coilovers for it (Ast Sportlines/Bilsteins/H&Rs).
Best thing about the 172cup is the standard suspension. I'd say if staying standard, the cup's a good option. If not, get a 172 or non-cup 182 (more suspension options than the cupped car).

Having owned most of them, a ph1 172 is the car to get if you're modifying. Cheaper to start with, lighter than the ph2's, throttle cable (massive difference). If it's standard, get a Trophy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
wow theres a bit of difference in that!! I've had a few ideas of what exterior modifications I want to do, just curious as to what potential the engines have? Obviously if its power Im looking to boost am I right in thinking the 182 is better than the 172 (heard rumours 172 are better/cheaper to tune)
All run effectively the same engine (small differences). Do not get a 172/182 if you want plenty of power. They are expensive for small gains. I'd get a CTR or something with boost if engine mods are in the pipeline.

320d
I've only ever driven a ph1 172. I keep meaning to try a ph2 to see the difference but I liked the chuckability of the ph1. Whether the 80odd kg weight increase affects it a lot or not I don't know.

I personally felt a lot happier with the handling of my ph1 after putting eibach sportline springs on it. I prefared the suspension when it was stiffer as it inspired more confidence.

If I get another RS Clio i'll almost definately put it on coilovers as it freshens up the suspension and i'll get the handling characteristics I want.

Clio 172 X(2000)
Ok, to be boring, i would say plump for a 172 on an x plate downwards, for a start they are better on fuel than the mk3 182's, and you will also find they are cheaper on tax as they are on the old tax system. the fuel mpg's are as follows x reg- 27.0mpg urban, 44.1combi, 35.8ex urban and on a typical 02 plate 182- 25.0mpg urban, 44mpg combi and 34.9mpg ex urban, Tax costs as follows- £190 for a years tax on an x reg, and £240 per year on a typical 02 plate, hope this helps buddy

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cheap coilovers will ruin it. Proceed with caution.

Anyway, out of interest what makes a phase 2 heavier than a phase 1? I can think wheels (bigger heaver), windscreen, um????

Clio 182 & Clio 172
wow, some interesting points ive not thought of myself,

I know my way around a 106 and I know there are subtle things that bring up the BHP but what sort of things are there for the clios?

thanks guys, you're all being so helpful xxx

Pretty much what gaz-kev has said, there the three main things that made a noticable difference on the car. Decat/remap/matched inlets and maybe a Ph1 172/V6 espace airbox with an aftermarket filter will probably cost around the £600 mark new, but bargains come up every so often.

Clio 182 & Clio 172
Alright.... thanks... Im not used to being a dumb blonde and not knowing anything!! LOL

I've got a few decisions to make me thinks!!

any other input is much appreciated guys xx