ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 on aftermarket managment content...

172 5HED
So I've been having some work done by Matt (Icarus) at TDF http://www.tour-de-force.co.uk/

As some of you may know, since fitting the cams my car has been rough as a dog!!! To the point that when I was at the last RR day at Matts place it ran 170BHP due to it running massively rich 9:1 AFR :eek::eek:

To combat the constant running issues we decided on an aftermarket ECU. Coincidently Matt has developed his own ECU, the EC1 http://www.tour-de-force.co.uk/tdf-engine-control.html

This is a monty bit of kit!!

We also decided to fit a WTCC throttle body and convert the DBW to cable throttle to aid responsiveness etc... We also fitted a cup racer inlet manifold from Oreca to accompoate this!

Some pics....

172 5HED
Kiteflying057.jpg

All my kit layed out!
Kiteflying061.jpg

Some of the proper weather proof connectors
Kiteflying062.jpg

Kiteflying063.jpg

Now these heat shrinks may look ordinary to you and me but they are top stuff, £4 a pop but they also glue just the end of the wires in place when heated to weather proof themselves
Kiteflying064.jpg

Old inlet manifold removed, we have ordered a new one from Oreca (the Cup series engine builsers) in France to run with the new TB
Kiteflying046.jpg

Kiteflying041.jpg

Old DBW body off
Kiteflying042.jpg

Old and new body side by side, the new WTCC body is also lighter which is a bonus!!
Kiteflying043.jpg

172 5HED
New body side on,
Kiteflying044.jpg

Kiteflying045.jpg

Kiteflying070.jpg

New body with the custom connectors
Kiteflying075.jpg

Raychem (expensive as hell) heat shrunk into place!
Kiteflying073.jpg

Old ECU unplugged ready for de-pinning and tracing back to the sensors we need (cam position, crank position, injectors, coil packs)etc....
Kiteflying040.jpg

Kiteflying074.jpg

ECU trial fitted in its end location
Kiteflying080-1.jpg

172 5HED
Throttle pedal removed for the new cable unit from a cup racer
Kiteflying077.jpg

Kiteflying078.jpg

BIG inlet trumpet on the body to help force the air in a little
Kiteflying071.jpg

Body trial fitted to check clearance
Kiteflying081-1.jpg

Kiteflying082-1.jpg

Kiteflying056.jpg

Thats where we are at as of today.
Matt is working on the rest of the loom(s).
Awaiting the new inlet manifold and pedal assy.
VVT cal will be done next week and final mapping/power testing next Sat
Will need to cut the bulkhead for the TB clearance but will be an easy job.

172 5HED
Couple of updates from the man!!!

Loom with comms breakout, comms point will be mounted in the dash for quick map changes!!

interace_loom.jpg

Coil pack loom

coil_loom.jpg

And a couple of the car connected to the osceloscope (sp) to check the crank signal

scope2.jpg

scope1.jpg

172 5HED
Updates.....

ECU in situ, looks proper OEM and neat, love it!!

DSCN1962.jpg

DSCN1964.jpg

Comms loom through to the Passenger side for easy map changes, just needs a connector put on and mounting!!

DSCN1960.jpg

172 5HED
More pics!!!!

Outputs for any future mods, i.e shift lights etc....
2.jpg

ECU power connected and ecu in place
3-1.jpg

Cup racer cable throttle peddle
4.jpg

Inlet manifold from Oreca, direct fit to the new TB
1.jpg

172 5HED
Hows that for a match between the enlarged TB, the massive trumpet and the enlarged inlet on the Oreca manifold?!!

333.jpg

172 5HED
Throttle cable arrived and was fitted!
9.jpg

TB bolted together with trumpet and all other bits
3-2.jpg

Fitted to the Oreca manifold like a treat
4-1.jpg

5.jpg

which in turn fitted to the car using the std mounts etc....
8.jpg

Once the pedal is sorted we should be able to fire her up!!! :D :D

172 5HED
Pedals sorted and mounted, major ballache I hear!!
Need to decide what spacing I want though!!
11-1.jpg

13.jpg

172 5HED
Cable atached to TB.. Yes its the opposite way, been run like that on the BPM Clio with no issues, we needed to mount it this way on mine too!
dscn1991.jpg

Water temp sender and T piece (top left) ready to go in!
dscn1996e.jpg

Final pedal position set
dscn1993d.jpg

A bit of carbon for good measure!! This is the comms point for any mapping changes etc...
dscn1995.jpg

As you can see, the interior still needs work lol!!

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice work Kev. I mean Matt ;). You keeping it an open tb?

All that weight reduction and you still have a stereo. And I thought you were hardcore.;). get an Ipod :approve:

172 5HED
HUGE filter is hooked up and under the bonnet vent!! The silicone, although it looks crappy cos of the crinkles is proper stuff that doesnt loose its diameter when bent so we have a full 20mm diameter more air getting to the TB trumpet!!
Matt says that as the car was that poorly (running rich) that today now its running right its covering the dyno room in black crap!!
DSCN2008.jpg

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

th_CIMG8937.jpg

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o248/kevo66/?action=view&current=CIMG8937.flv

th_CIMG8932.jpg

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o248/kevo66/?action=view&current=CIMG8932.flv

^^^Ignore the speedo vid, its more for sound! I ballsed it and got wheelspin and then hit the limiter in 3rd lol!

172 5HED
Matt has added a very detailed engine logbook function.
This is mega cool IMHO - basicaly an area of the flash is reserved for the data and it logs various parameters such as the top 5 peak RPM's, engine hours......

logbook.jpg

At a glance you can now see if the driver has over revd the engine, if the engine has had cooling issues, how long they've been at WOT for etc. etc. All of this data is also available on the CANBus so if you've got a Pi D2 dash or similar you can now use it to do a proper fuel count etc. for laps remaining.

Now at this point all should have been well and we should have been back in the 200s BUT....... we couldnt get it there (only 193BHP) so we investigated and found that the cam timing was WAY out, not sure how or why or when.... but the exhaust cam was about 4degrees out!

Aslo, the results of it running so rich became apparent, f**ked plugs too.... (it also ruined a cat)!! So it went to the Kevs at Birchdown to re-time.

Mapping finished today

202 and thats the lot I think!! Goes well now, its genuinely a very quick car, not just me looking at it through rose tinted specs, 3rd gear is immense!
Graphs
Power and AFR
kev_clio_PAFR.jpg

Power and tourque
kev_clio_PT.jpg

172 5HED
I cant qualify enough the point that this has been a MASSIVE ballache to do for MAtt and has required some epic epic skills.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Waiting for this to appear for ages! Good work, you happy with it?! :)

White Sti Hatch
Im going down south in a week or too to get the 9 checked over for some goodies you dont live ne where near DN11 8SG ?? do you lol

Mondeo TDCI 130
Excellent!!! Glad you got some good results!

Can i also say the workmanship was very very good.

Top work lads! Matt happier!?!?

PS : you need to take me for another spin! I was scared enough last time! :)

172 5HED
Im going down south in a week or too to get the 9 checked over for some goodies you dont live ne where near DN11 8SG ?? do you lol

I dont think so pal!!! :(
Excellent!!! Glad you got some good results!

Can i also say the workmanship was very very good.

Top work lads! Matt happier!?!?

PS : you need to take me for another spin! I was scared enough last time! :)

You would be now lol!! Will bob over sometime soon WITH the bloody book too :eek::eek:

Workmanship is second to none, he's a perfectionst!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Awesome!

I guess you can't look at just the peak figure, as it tells you nothing. But it does seem a lot of money (I imagine?) for that kind of gain?

Looks amazing, quick, and sounds mental! Top stuff!

White Sti Hatch
Jealousy, because you won't break down! PMSL!

Hmm lets see 55 plate Clio back to dealers 4 times within 2 weeks of picking it up....1997 Honda civic not a problem with it i think ill stick with the Honda mate !

Golf GTD Mk7
kev, I thought you were looking at running the pipe direct from the bonnet hole to the tb? inline filter maybe? bit like a viper, but home made ;)

172 5HED
Awesome!

I guess you can't look at just the peak figure, as it tells you nothing. But it does seem a lot of money (I imagine?) for that kind of gain?

Looks amazing, quick, and sounds mental! Top stuff!

Its been a few ££ and honestly, being sensible, its not good BHP per ££ but it was never going to be on an NA engine!! Totally different car to drive though with the throttle set up and the torque curve!

kev, I thought you were looking at running the pipe direct from the bonnet hole to the tb? inline filter maybe? bit like a viper, but home made ;)
That was the plan, but the new TB is huge and so is the new filter so wouldnt fit!! So the filter now sits rigt under the vent ;)

Awesome Kev, one word for you...

TRACKDAY!

2010?? ;)

x :) x

Oulton booked in Jan mate!!

Golf GTD Mk7
did matt do that tb as a one off custom jobbie? you're spending some cash on that thing. Might be up to 1*2 speeds now ;) Get yourself to oulton next year. Want to see this thing in action.

172 5HED
did matt do that tb as a one off custom jobbie? you're spending some cash on that thing. Might be up to 1*2 speeds now ;) Get yourself to oulton next year. Want to see this thing in action.

LOL, thats the thing, its bloody heavy, so plenty of high end 1*2s will keep up!!! Be interested to see how much it weighs now!!!

Its all been a one off TBH the ECU included, with all the labour on top it would be big ££ for someone and its just not worth chucking the amount it should cost at a 197!!

Nice one mate, when when??

27th pal!

Hi All,

Kev - glad you're a happy boy. It's a proper bit of kit now and is the only road going 197 I've driven that compares directly to an X85 race car in terms of in gear pull and power delivery. Can't wait to see how you do on track! IRRC the car as standard was 184bhp? Is so then thats a peak gain of 18bhp (or just under 10%) which on an already high specific output naturaly aspirated road car engine is a pretty good increase :D Can I bagsy a go at Oulton?

Steve/Kev( ;) ) - cam timing job definately made a positive difference to it! Top work there buddy. Nice to hear you like the job we've done, was big effort made to integrate the wiring changes etc. into the stock loom without it being noticeable. You could essentialy tuck the EC1 ECU away somewhere out of site and it'd look standard.

All - Kevs car was done as part of the continuing TDF X85 Clio Cup Racecar development program, part of which is to provide what is essentialy a PNP ECU for the X85 Race Car and C85 Rally Car as a response to the number of these cars making their way into privateer hands and in the case of the X85 the requirement to carry out an extensive list of modifications to enable the car to compete competitively in the likes of Britcar. We have no plans to productionise any of this as a kit or 'do' another road car - never say never though! ;) Oh and one more thing the current TB to filter hose is a temp measure whilst Kev gets some Samco in.

Cheers
Matt

172 5HED
Ahh, the man himself, an epic job as Ive stated mate, looking forward to the future plans.....

Dash early next year too ;)

Electronic work looks lovely, top work.

As some of you may know, since fitting the cams my car has been rough as a dog!!! To the point that when I was at the last RR day at Matts place it ran 170BHP due to it running massively rich 9:1 AFR :eek::eek:

Who fitted & mapped the cams to start with?

Ahh, the man himself, an epic job as Ive stated mate, looking forward to the future plans.....

Dash early next year too ;)

Then motorsport level TCS/LCS with driver adjustable slip allowance (steering wheel mounted controls? ;) ), data logging, sequential box with paddle shift (you know how much you want to!)....... this is going to keep me busy isn't it! LOL