ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 with Clio 4 R.S. rear axle?

Clio 3 Sport
Hi guys,

I have one short question regarding rear axles on Clio 3 Sport (197) and Clio 4 R.S. Is it possible to fit the axle from Clio 4 R.S. to Clio 3 197/200? I know it has a slightly different design of "plates" where springs are placed, but that's all I noticed from pictures. I was trying to find some datasheet of both axles to compare their dimensions but without any success. Does somebody know? :)

Thanks!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Mk3 rear beam below
mk3rearbeam.JPG

mk4 rear beam below

m4rearbeam.JPG

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
They look very similar but cannot answer with dimensions

Clio 3 Sport
Thanks for such reply! :) If I won't get any other (more accurate) info, I will try to measure dimensions on these pictures by graphic editor :D :). It seems like both schemes are drawn in the same angle so I hope I can get some useful measures.
Why am I asking. I have Clio 197 with damaged rear axle (right rear wheel was torn off in an accident :( ) and I didn't find any spare axle for the Clio 3 Sport in my region, but there are a lot of Clio 4 R.S. axles and quite cheap.

Clio 3 Sport
I did quick measurements in an editor and I got interesting results. Distance between spring holders is the same, width of the pillar with ARB is the same, holes on both mounts have the same parameters... the only difference I measured is in total lenght of arms (sorry if I don't use correct terms :-/ ) , R.S. has slightly longer, but it should not be a problem. And of course the shape of "wheel holders" is slightly different, but differences in key dimensions (e.g. holes) are not measurable.
I will try to buy R.S. 4 beam and hope it will fit! :)

Clio 197
L
I did quick measurements in an editor and I got interesting results. Distance between spring holders is the same, width of the pillar with ARB is the same, holes on both mounts have the same parameters... the only difference I measured is in total lenght of arms (sorry if I don't use correct terms :-/ ) , R.S. has slightly longer, but it should not be a problem. And of course the shape of "wheel holders" is slightly different, but differences in key dimensions (e.g. holes) are not measurable.
I will try to buy R.S. 4 beam and hope it will fit! :smile:
Let us know how you get on mate! :)

Clio 3 Sport
So just quick info, which could be useful for everyone with the same intetion like me.
At first, I can't say that Clio 4 R.S. rear axle won't fit to Clio III Sport at all, but there is quite significant difference in pitch of screws holding wheel hub (that thing with the bearing). Clio III Sport has greater pitch than Clio 4 R.S., which means the axle from Clio 4 R.S. would need to drill new screw holes (only two though) into wheel holders. And it's almost 10mm thick piece of steel. Besides that, it is very likely Clio III uses larger bolt diameter than Clio 4.
I enclose photo of my damaged axle so you can see what's different.
So what is the result? I will do bodywork at first and then probably buy brand new axle, which is not cheap :-/ :)

20170423_125220.jpg