ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 EDC, are they really that bad?

Evo
Morning all.

Haven't shown my face on here for a long time, completely left the Renault scene behind in favour of jap metal but here I find myself again considering another ClioSport!?

Considering selling the Evo because, although it's an insanely fast car and a very special place to be, the maintenance and running costs that come with it kind of take away a lot of the fun. It gets to the point where your scared to use it in anger in case of clutch/gearbox/transfer box/diff/turbo/engine/AYC pump failure and costing many £££ to replace.

The end result is I keep her in the garage 360 days a year and she makes the occasional trip to Japfest at 70mph cruise, if it's sunny.

I miss the driving pleasure my old Clios provided, thrash them and then park up for a week well knowing she'll welcomely take the same abuse next weekend.
However times have changed for me, I have a family to lug round and consider myself more grown up as low bouncy loud road ready go karts don't appeal to me anymore.
This led me to look at Renaults latest offering in the form of the 200 EDC. Still turbo for instant response and mid range torque, 5 door and modern.
I've read so many bad reviews though that the gearbox ruins the entire car and it's actually quite gutless over 70mph.

Anyway who better to ask than the CS community. I know it wasn't well received here initially but have people grown to it now? Any positive owners out there?

Ben.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Morning all.

Haven't shown my face on here for a long time, completely left the Renault scene behind in favour of jap metal but here I find myself again considering another ClioSport!?

Considering selling the Evo because, although it's an insanely fast car and a very special place to be, the maintenance and running costs that come with it kind of take away a lot of the fun. It gets to the point where your scared to use it in anger in case of clutch/gearbox/transfer box/diff/turbo/engine/AYC pump failure and costing many £££ to replace.

The end result is I keep her in the garage 360 days a year and she makes the occasional trip to Japfest at 70mph cruise, if it's sunny.

I miss the driving pleasure my old Clios provided, thrash them and then park up for a week well knowing she'll welcomely take the same abuse next weekend.
However times have changed for me, I have a family to lug round and consider myself more grown up as low bouncy loud road ready go karts don't appeal to me anymore.
This led me to look at Renaults latest offering in the form of the 200 EDC. Still turbo for instant response and mid range torque, 5 door and modern.
I've read so many bad reviews though that the gearbox ruins the entire car and it's actually quite gutless over 70mph.

Anyway who better to ask than the CS community. I know it wasn't well received here initially but have people grown to it now? Any positive owners out there?

Ben.
Test drive one and make up your own mind :) I have heard the same as above but wouldn't stop me buying one i dont think.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
They've never been "bad" they're just not as good as say a fiesta st. I personally think they look great. Age has made them look better, whereas the ST is starting to look dated.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't like them. Can't see why anyone would pick one over a megane 250/275. That's a genuine rs product, the clio feels like a GT version. Box is the worst dual clutch I've tried, the ten yr old golf gti box is light years ahead.

If you like the old rs products, the Meg is the one to go with.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Think the 220 Trophy is one it should have been since day one.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I spoke to one of the chaps at Evo. In his words, it's still nowhere near good enough (he was actually less polite than that).

Not driven a trophy, but I don't see how it'll be the car it should. The 200 lacks that sense of urgency that all the best RS cars have. Feels closer in character to the kia ceed GT than a true rs.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I bought my 200edc last October after selling my mp260 focus st. I miss the pace of the St but the clio is a massive laugh on twisty roads. I know people slate the gearbox and in full auto it can be a bit clumsy at times but I've got no issues with it otherwise. I generally have the car in sport mode unless I'm just driving around town.

I've had the centre silencer removed so it's a bit louder than standard but other than that I've not modified it at all. MPG wise I'm currently getting 30mpg but some days will be loads of 2-3 mile trips around town due to the nature of my job. I'd definitely give one a test drive and see what you think.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
30mpg??? My st easily did 40, think I averaged 44, I spanked it's arse most the time too. My ST was actually better on fuel than my 1.2 Twingo lol

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
30mpg??? My st easily did 40, think I averaged 44, I spanked it's arse most the time too. My ST was actually better on fuel than my 1.2 Twingo lol
Did you not read the part where I said I can do several 2-3 mile journeys a day through town which would be stop/start? I managed 40+MPG the other day on a 150 mile round trip. My driving is rarely long trips so I don't expect incredible MPG. My focus dropped from 29mpg to 22mpg when I moved jobs.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Nothing offers the economy of the Fiesta. It's outstanding given the performance.

Fiesta ST-2
I was unimpressed with the economy of my ST. It was barely any better than the 182, both around 37/38mpg. I am going from trip computer readings though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Strange, I had tax free fuel and knew I was selling the car at 1 year old so was definitely not driving it in an eco manner.

Clio 182
I love my 220 trophy. It sounds mean, pops on gear change and gets plenty of looks and good comments. Drive one and see how you get on with the gearbox. I love it how it picks up speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I have driven both the standard and trophy version of the new Clio 200 EDC. Don't get me wrong they are a nice car however they don't seem to have that look of an RS about them. I am sure they are a very capable car on track from what I have seen. But if I was going to spend that sort of money on a everyday RS model I would prob go more towards the Megane RS 275 cup or Trophy.

You can pick them up for around 20k now days for a 2015 car. And they are very very very quick :).

I assume you already have a Daily driver, since you use the Evo so little?

If so could you buy a bit more of a toy? One which is a hell of a lot cheaper to run

I'd probably be looking at a 182, but whether or not it would feel enough of an occasion after a Evo, I wouldn't know...but as a cheap, good fun toy they're hard to beat imo

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
Go test drive one before deciding based upon other peoples opinions.
I was ready to sign on the dotted line for a fiesta st based on magazine reviews and test drives, at the last minute i tried a 220 trophy and straight away i knew i wasnt having a fiesta anymore, the clio is faster in a straight line, quicker through the corners, has better traction, a more compliant ride, better brakes, more modern interior, and i love the gearbox, i don't know anyone who can change gear in 75 milliseconds or what ever it is....with the trophy the only reason reviewers give for moaning about the gearbox, is that "hot hatches should have a manual box", and that just isnt a reason imo.
I see ten fiesta st a day, i have yet to see another trophy and ive only ever seen one 200 edc, not that, that would put me off buying the fiesta if it was better, its just a bonus.
David

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My biggest issue with the ST was the ride, it's stupidly hard as a road car. So if the Clio has softer ride I actually think it would be a better more capable b-road car.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I bet the Clio drops like a stone from new. I quite like the look of them, never driven one but world never buy one.. Is there a reason they didn't make a manual version?

Go test drive one before deciding based upon other peoples opinions.
I was ready to sign on the dotted line for a fiesta st based on magazine reviews and test drives, at the last minute i tried a 220 trophy and straight away i knew i wasnt having a fiesta anymore, the clio is faster in a straight line....more modern interior...

More modern? The cabin in the clio still has switch gear from a 2001 Mk2! The ST cabin is ten times the clio's IMO.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I like my trophy. Tried the ST and the Clio 200. Didn't like the ST as it felt slow, didn't hold the road as well, suspension is pants and really dislike the giant Nokia 3210 dashboard. The 200 felt too grown up so I went with the 220.

Got mine ex demo with the heated leathers so saved a fair chunk on the new price.

Wide and kids love it, five doors without looking like a five door is great. Gearbox is good and it doesn't feel too slow.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
More modern? The cabin in the clio still has switch gear from a 2001 Mk2! The ST cabin is ten times the clio's IMO.
the interior is actually one of the few things magazine reviews comment negatively about the fiesta st, they say its dated and the dashboard very cluttered with buttons, and it is, the dashboard has hundreds of tiny buttons, there's one for every function imaginable, the more modern approach is a one touch screen that does everything like the clio, the fiesta st has about a hundred buttons just for the radio controls, the clio just has an on and off button, the rest is touch screen, all car interiors are moving in this direction, the thinking used to be the more buttons the better because it looked good, but that's definitely not the case anymore and its definitely not modern.
what switch gear is in a new clio that was in a mk2, I don't know ?
The seats in an st are better than the standard cloth trophy seats admittedly, but nothing else is imo.
David

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I can count on one hand how many times in the last year that I've touched any of the buttons on the stereo head unit in my ST.

Voice control and steering wheel buttons are all you need.

Even so, being able to press one button for a function is better than having to go through several menus to find what I'm after.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Probably not spending that much but have a look at the R.S.16. concept, that's the car the 200 should have been. Hopefully it makes it to production.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My Leon had touch screen, really was an arse to use wheN moving.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Any sort of stiff or sporty suspension makes touch screen 10x worse, it might look better but it's a f**king pain to actually use.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
For the price of meganes I really don't see why anyone would pick a 200t.

The megane cup S can be had around £23k

If I wanted a sporty hatch around £20k, I'd be after the megane

If I needed five doors for practicality sake, I wouldn't be looking at a hot hatch.

If I wanted an automatic car, I wouldn't be looking at something with 200bhp, a hatchback or front wheel drive.

Same with the turbo... If I wanted a turbo I wouldn't be going 1.6.

If I wanted a hot hatch, I wouldn't be after something indistinguishable from the base spec models (unless you get it in liquid yellow)

And if I wanted something run of the mill looking but fast, I'd get something German

The more I think about it, the less I can see a justification for a 200t

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Bang on @Knuckles

The fact is, the 200T just doesn't really appeal (in general terms) to any one person.

It's trying to be too many things and failing.

"Ooh it's a hatchback with five doors! Now I don't have to pull the seats forward! It's auto? Ooh that's usually for big expensive German cars that can't be had for the same price as one of these. Ooh it's white/yellow! I'll take it!" - middle aged lady

"Gtr gearbox innit" - uneducated young lad/middle aged bloke/badman ting

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I drove a 200T at the 'ring and wasn't really very impressed by it. It went ok and handled ok, but it just didn't feel raw and exciting like an older RS Clio. It lacked the "special" feeling. The gearbox wasn't terrible but it wasn't nearly as good as the DSG in my Golf, or even the one in my friend's '07 Passat diesel. I didn't try auto mode I must say. I do think some of the Clio reviews are slightly unfair as it isn't a bad car by any means. The problem is, it just isn't as good as its rivals. Renault can't exactly trade on build quality, residuals or a premium brand, so the Renault Sport magic is their big selling point. The 200 EDC doesn't have that magic in my view, so I'd be looking elsewhere.

If I was looking for a five door hot hatch with an auto option, I would be looking at a Golf GTI. Bigger, more practical, more stylish, better build quality, better gearbox. Or what about a Polo GTI if you want to stay with something a bit smaller? They wouldn't be as new but are much nicer cars in my view. We're very lucky in that we are spoiled for choice when it comes to hot hatches, which makes the case for the Clio even worse.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Or what about a Polo GTI if you want to stay with something a bit smaller? They wouldn't be as new but are much nicer cars in my view. We're very lucky in that we are spoiled for choice when it comes to hot hatches, which makes the case for the Clio even worse.

or an Ibiza Cupra, which runs the same 1.8TSI engine but can be had for under £19K

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
True you can't expect it all for under £20K, VAG supplied engine though so it's only odd bits of electrics and plastic trim that are any worse than it's Polo counterpart.

Polo has option of manual or 7-speed DSG though.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
These seem very popular in France now. In the 2 weeks I've just spent there I must have seen over 20 of them. Far more than I'd see in 2 weeks here with the 1*2s.
The meg 250/275s also seem popular there too now.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Lots of hate for them on here. I like them but wouldn't buy one, I only had a go in one at Brands and it went extremely well. Yes the gearbox isn't perfect, but I think people make it out to be a bigger issue than it is. If you like the idea of paddles on a hot hatch then you'll get on well with it.

As far as a daily proposition I really like it too. Haven't driven one on the road but I've had a few Clio4 hire cars and they were always nice to be in.

I prefer the looks of the Clio to the Fiesta too although you'd be mental to not even consider the Fiesta as an all round package. Only 3 doors though which is another thing you might like about the Clio.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
These seem very popular in France now. In the 2 weeks I've just spent there I must have seen over 20 of them. Far more than I'd see in 2 weeks here with the 1*2s.
The meg 250/275s also seem popular there too now.

Probably because the French are quite patriotic when it comes to cars, so naturally they would opt for one of their own vehicles.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Probably because the French are quite patriotic when it comes to cars, so naturally they would opt for one of their own vehicles.

To a degree maybe, but every year I've been over for the last 8 years I only saw a handful of 1*2's, 225's etc where as now there are loads off the 200t's and new meg sports.
My friend who lives there pointed out that it's largely because of a shift back towards people buying petrol cars again because of the scandals and the fact a lot of petrol cars now get similar (or closer to) mpg of dervs of 10-15 years ago...