ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200T EDC, What's up with them?

Clio 4 RS cup
Looking at updating the car as I travel a fair bit more nowadays and as much as I love the 182, It is time for a change.

Really it's that age old toss up betweem a Fiesta ST-2 or a Clio 200t EDC, both review well, in particlar Chris Harris saying the ride is much nicer in the Clio but the Fiesta, when Mountuned is amazing (and factory friendly). Now I'm not bothered about how fast the Clio changes down gear in particular on track, not much opportunity for track fun these days so I am in a quandry? Always had hot hatches and will probably always have them.

I would appreciate some honest input please not just the "purist" drivel you hear everywhere.

Thanks peeps
Ady
I have just changed my Clio GT line for a 200T EDC. Both are really comfortable , I have driven to Poland and Spain this year (retired lol)
I don't have a problem with the gear change. The RS has a multiple down change feature, so pull the left hand paddle when in manual
and braking, the box will change down to optimum gear.

It could do with better lights I had to upgrade the GT lights and the £150 charge for the R link to too expensive.
My car came with the cup setup and 18 inch wheels, I think the GT Line on 17 inch wheels was a little more comfortable but this set up is ok.
Mpg, comp says 33 or so and that includes playing, the GT did around 36 mpg.
David

How the hell does one go about test driving a 220 or even a 200 edc?
made several enquires with dealers locally to me and no joy. 220 demos on order and maybe a few months ago. 200's are very rare as a dealer.
It almost feels renault are doing their best to shoot themselves in the foot on this one.

SQ5
How the hell does one go about test driving a 220 or even a 200 edc?
made several enquires with dealers locally to me and no joy. 220 demos on order and maybe a few months ago. 200's are very rare as a dealer.
It almost feels renault are doing their best to shoot themselves in the foot on this one.

There is a 220 Trophy just been delivered to Rawlinson Renault in Bury St Edmunds. Unsure if it's a demo though or just a show piece as its in the show room.

IMO if it was good it would of sold a bit like the R26.R, think the Renaultsport brand needs a kick up the arse really, they should all be sold.

Are they not a limited run? Or just the "facelift"?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Renaultsport technical md interview coming up in evo this month. Some interesting stuff. Seems to confirm the next clio rs will have a manual option, some of the defects they are aware of in the 200 still not addressed in the 220, and that they were wrong in market expectations regarding dct systems.

The gearbox is the 2nd most common reason people give for not buying the car. And the 2nd most common reason for buying the car!

Listerine & Poledo
Chris Harris
Is he buying the car for you?
If not, ignore his paid-for-opinions as hard as you possibly can.

Ultimately though, sod either the Fester or the Clio, get a ProC'eed GT.

And before anyone chirps up about "on the limit" motoring, when was the last time you actually got your tyres squealing on public roads? Because I dare suspect when that happened you bricked yourself.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Given probably 80% of drivers don't want an auto car, that's terrible reading for Renault.
I personally would prefer a manual. But dct wouldn't put me off, as long as it was a good box. Problem Renault have imo, is that they've alienated people that want manual, and hobbled it with a crap dct.

I know owners bleat on about it being fine, but a guy with an ugly wife will never admit it. Jump in any vag group car, and the gearbox is light years ahead. Double whammy of a crap gearbox with no alternative!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Is he buying the car for you?
If not, ignore his paid-for-opinions as hard as you possibly can.

Ultimately though, sod either the Fester or the Clio, get a ProC'eed GT.

And before anyone chirps up about "on the limit" motoring, when was the last time you actually got your tyres squealing on public roads? Because I dare suspect when that happened you bricked yourself.
The pro is a good warm hatch. But it doesn't respond like a hot hatch, and it's not really quick enough. And it's from the class above size wise?

Listerine & Poledo
The pro is a good warm hatch. But it doesn't respond like a hot hatch, and it's not really quick enough. And it's from the class above size wise?
You could put 50% of the users of this forum in a Pro, slap RS badging on it and they'd bum it like Rite Oreo.
Leave the Kia badge on it though, and they'll pan it for not oversteering like a Mazda with a welded diff

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You could put 50% of the users of this forum in a Pro, slap RS badging on it and they'd bum it like Rite Oreo.
Leave the Kia badge on it though, and they'll pan it for not oversteering like a Mazda with a welded diff
They're really good cars. Interior shames Renault.

Still a wider perception that they're s**t, which given the warranty and looks /build I don't understand.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
2_large_zpsw6b1n5qv.jpg

You must be deluded the interiors are miles in front of any clio made to date and the gearbox is fine, perhaps renault dealers dont want to take s load of crap 182s etc ax pxs.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Dont touch any buttons only drive in auto, perhaps some high spec ford or mazda interior pics can be posted, lol, chrome and walnut galore i expect.

Listerine & Poledo
Nope, black plastic and leather all round me.
But there's a 3 pedals in the footwell, and a stick jutting out of the trans tunnel with 7 slots on it, that'll do me fine.
Cuz sports car...not shopping trolley with a bodykit
Also, isn't design supposed to have evolved since 2001? Clearly not in France

Come on, bite, BITE damnit

Last edited:

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Tesla s manual or auto, nissan gtr, cant wait for a tesla powered zoe it will eat rear wheel drive sports cars :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Tesla s manual or auto, nissan gtr, cant wait for a tesla powered zoe it will eat rear wheel drive sports cars :smile:
Im sorry, why are we comparing Tesla's, i.e. the future of driving, and/or GTR's, one of the quickest things on 4 wheels, with a cheapo/fun small hot hatch that lost its market share completely because its Ford rival offered a manual gearbox? Hell, even the Juke Nismo thing outsells the Clio 200T and thats a fauxbyfaux that looks like the b45tard child of a frog & an overweight nissan micra..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That entire is sad looking. It looks dated and just screams Renault to me.

From the headrest down they've almost used the exact shape of a 182 seat also.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't mean to be a c**t (seems to come naturally;) ) but I can't pay any attention to someone that uses "I only drive in auto mode" in defence of a performance car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Renault interiors have always been crap. We bought them in spite of it. Because they were great drives. The meg shows they've still got that in them.

Hopefully the next rs clio is a proper one. Manual box option, with a decent dct alternative. 4 wheel steering etc. If they get the gearbox right, make the cup option more aggressive, they'll sell boat loads. A manual option just opens up the market.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I just think you have to up your game at some point.

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
A big slab of chrome/piano black plastic & some orange colouring does not make a good interior.
Neither do the chairs from a 2004 Megane 225.

In addition, the climate control/nav panels' lack of symmetry upsets my OCD.
dsc_7935_0.jpg

Is the steering wheel offset that much in real life?
The main centre dash inlay looks similar to my 3 year olds vtec laptop not the best designed dash i have ever seen

SQ5
Renault interiors have always been crap. We bought them in spite of it. Because they were great drives. The meg shows they've still got that in them.

Hopefully the next rs clio is a proper one. Manual box option, with a decent dct alternative. 4 wheel steering etc. If they get the gearbox right, make the cup option more aggressive, they'll sell boat loads. A manual option just opens up the market.

I think the Mk2 Ph2 dash is a great looking and well functioning dash to be honest

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
a bit of shiny rapist-red and black plastic does not a fine interior make.
It's not even red, it's tango orange. It clashed a treat with the red exterior of the 200T that I had the misfortune to own for a short time.

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
You didn't rate the car then Linda? What were your thoughts?
I felt that I was a passenger in a fast car rather than a driver. I (sadly) didn't read the reviews before I bought it, but I can only say that for me, all the criticisms of the gearbox were correct. It was too slow from paddle to change even in race mode. I hated that it changed gear when it thought that it should. I love to drive and I love to use the driving skills that I have learned over the years. I do not want my car to drive for me.

I felt that I wasn't old enough for the 200T. If I get to 80 and still feel like having a bit of a blast without bothering about all that driving it will probably be great. If I was a young person with little real driving experience it would be a great way to go fast. Some people seem to enjoy the 200T. I hated it and got rid of it because it made me miserable. My 182, 197 and now my 200 all made me very happy. I drive with a silly grin on my face all the time!

And the tango orange interior bits clashing with the red exterior made my eyes hurt.

Last edited:

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't get one new but 2 years on they look like a real 2nd hard bargain. They really suit me. I need a 5 door and the auto is great for traffic. It wont see a track so I don't care about its lack of race car prowess. Think ill look at the 220 trophy when the cactus goes back.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You had the worst colour washy red, no cup chassis or leather interior, perhaps a go in suzannes mapped black car at css15 may have made you change your mind. Renault have made a faster car with a better, nissan built, engine and gearbox, both issues raised about the clio3rs in the past, with a modern interior. At work we use new man 3 axle units to pull these huge doubledeck trailers for boots it has a auto gearbox, lovely my car is the same. I have a blast in my car on the way home about 3am its fine, i like the seats better it handles fine and i dont even think about changing gears anymore and it fits in my garage nice. You can get a decent used 200t for 15k from a main dealer and ive had no warranty issues with both my cars, granted its no m3 or audi tt black edition but its not 35k either so i can have 3 holidays a year instead...

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
You had the worst colour washy red, no cup chassis or leather interior, perhaps a go in suzannes mapped black car at css15 may have made you change your mind. Renault have made a faster car with a better, nissan built, engine and gearbox, both issues raised about the clio3rs in the past, with a modern interior. At work we use new man 3 axle units to pull these huge doubledeck trailers for boots it has a auto gearbox, lovely my car is the same. I have a blast in my car on the way home about 3am its fine, i like the seats better it handles fine and i dont even think about changing gears anymore and it fits in my garage nice. You can get a decent used 200t for 15k from a main dealer and ive had no warranty issues with both my cars, granted its no m3 or audi tt black edition but its not 35k either so i can have 3 holidays a year instead...
Mine did have the leather interior and pretty much all the other options too. It was an ex Renault UK car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If they'd given it a good gearbox, I think most people would find it much easier to get on with.
It's a real shame, as I've had every rs clio since the ph1 172, but after driving a 200t knew that what made all those older cars feel special for drivers had mostly gone.
One of the RS head guys admitting that they've not been able to address all the problems with the trophy seems to confirm they know they missed the target.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
A modern interior. Are you on the wind up. The more I look at those pictures the more it annoys me. Sackable offence in a car costing that amount.

Correct. One of the worst modern car interiors I've ever seen. If Kia and Hyundai can do a better job, on cars 2/3 of the cost, there really is no excuse.

I bet I could break the gear selector off with one hand if I tried.

Owners trying to defend it, don't waste your time. You know secretly inside you bought a turd.