ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200T EDC, What's up with them?

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
Sorry:smile: perhaps we can continue this debate at css16 if we both go again :smile:
Love to chat again at CS16, but the miserable 200T chapter of my life is over and in the past. Five miserable months it took me to find someone even interested in buying it and I lost £2500 on it. Gone and almost forgotten. Moved on. Yippee!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
The fact Renault are using the electric window adjuster from a mk 2 Clio, first used in 2001, sums it up for me.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'm sorry but a hot hatch should not have different gearbox settings, I could forgive everything else but not that.
A hot hatch should be always be ready to go, fizzing away like an angry bees nest or a Jack Russell ready for a fight.
Not something you have to put into racemode before you can expect to have any fun, if you want something fast and automatic stick your money into something German its a much nicer place to be.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm sorry but a hot hatch should not have different gearbox settings, I could forgive everything else but not that.
A hot hatch should be always be ready to go, fizzing away like an angry bees nest or a Jack Russell ready for a fight.
Not something you have to put into racemode before you can expect to have any fun, if you want something fast and automatic stick your money into something German its a much nicer place to be.
Don't agree with that. Having something that can be sedate on the commute, but even more focused when needed is a great solution if its implemented well.

SQ5
I'm just repeating your statement. Doesn't work for you either.

In 14 years, things have moved on. 14 year old switchgear is not really acceptable these days.

Lol, why not? The F4R was a 20+ year old engine design at last N/A production and it's still being used with a turbo on for the Megane?!

No reason why a window mechanism cannot be used.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Could we try to keep things civil - I don't want this turning nasty.
As a rule of thumb, if you wouldn't say it to someone in person then don't post it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't think that having 14 year old switchgear, which you use and touch every day, is acceptable in a brand new car. Just because you do, does not mean you can call me a c**k, unless you are one yourself.

Boosh summed it up better.
I'm on your side. Because it's not broke doesn't work, it doesn't work in the entirety of life. Especially cars!

Clio 200t
I don't think that having 14 year old switchgear, which you use and touch every day, is acceptable in a brand new car. Just because you do, does not mean you can call me a c**k, unless you are one yourself.

Boosh summed it up better.

I concur and I have one. Tight arse Renault.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
See!

I've only ever seen Yellow ones so far. I think because you can't get a standard Clio in that colour so it stands out. Look cool with Black wheels.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Drove one at the Nurburgring earlier this year. The box is awful. Slow and changes up just when you don't want it too. The box in my friend's eight year old Passat is miles better. It drives "ok" but it doesn't have the "alive" feeling of the older models. The styling is also a bit clumsy on the base car, and the RS bits haven't really done much to improve things. The older cars all looked really different and purposeful compared to the cooking versions.

I'm sure it's a much nicer car to live with, but that's not really what your average RenaultSport customer wants, especially in the UK. I think that shows in the number of them you see. I've probably seen less than five on the road. I probably see that many ST Fiestas every day. I think that shows just how wrong they got it.

Flame red 200t
absolutely love mine id even go as far as saying its been my favorite Renault sport so far and my others include a 197/200 and meg 250 such a good all rounder of a car

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
As with Marmite, some love them and some hate them. All depends on your driving style and what you want from it I suppose.
Did an autosolo in mine on Sunday. It says sport on the back and that's exactly what I want it to do. Went round the tight course in first gear revving its bits off. Brilliant. Couldn't imagine doing the same course with the 200T. It would be changing gear all over the shop!
Horses for courses.

Clio 4 RS cup
Looking at updating the car as I travel a fair bit more nowadays and as much as I love the 182, It is time for a change.

Really it's that age old toss up betweem a Fiesta ST-2 or a Clio 200t EDC, both review well, in particlar Chris Harris saying the ride is much nicer in the Clio but the Fiesta, when Mountuned is amazing (and factory friendly). Now I'm not bothered about how fast the Clio changes down gear in particular on track, not much opportunity for track fun these days so I am in a quandry? Always had hot hatches and will probably always have them.

I would appreciate some honest input please not just the "purist" drivel you hear everywhere.

Thanks peeps
Ady
I did 2 longish trips in my GT Line this year Poland and Spain, seats are really comfortable (leather) Just changed for the RS same seats and goes like stink. But you should try both

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Tbf ive been in and ad a quick drive of @Badbuzz2 200t and i love it its bloody great the front takes abit of love but the rear is epic

The gear change im very suprised people say its slow i cant change gear as quick i would have one would need mods but i would have one

Ph2 Meg 225
And? All DCTs shift quicker than people.

But is it good for a DCT? Drive a decent DCT then drive the Clio's.

Have you driven one yourself? All your comments on this car seem to be based on statements previously mentioned by countless others that haven't driven one.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'm asking the question.

So far all I've seen from people saying the box is fast, is people comparing it to boggo manual transmissions, as opposed to the other DCT setups used by the likes of BMW, Audi, VW etc etc etc.

There was a big deal made about the cost of the gearbox in the car, saying how Renault had forked out to get a 'proper' top quality DCT in the car. I'm fairly sure I remember someone saying that £1k of the manufacturing costs is the box.

I don't want to know if it's faster than a manual, of course it is. But what I want to know is how long does it take for me to get the next gear after I twitch my finger, compared to other cars which have the same transmission.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tbf ive been in and ad a quick drive of @Badbuzz2 200t and i love it its bloody great the front takes abit of love but the rear is epic

The gear change im very suprised people say its slow i cant change gear as quick i would have one would need mods but i would have one
The change itself is quick. But it doesn't respond to the paddles well enough.
I've not driven the f series mini yet, but apparently the auto box in that (auto, not dct) is more responsive.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm asking the question.

So far all I've seen from people saying the box is fast, is people comparing it to boggo manual transmissions, as opposed to the other DCT setups used by the likes of BMW, Audi, VW etc etc etc.

There was a big deal made about the cost of the gearbox in the car, saying how Renault had forked out to get a 'proper' top quality DCT in the car. I'm fairly sure I remember someone saying that £1k of the manufacturing costs is the box.

I don't want to know if it's faster than a manual, of course it is. But what I want to know is how long does it take for me to get the next gear after I twitch my finger, compared to other cars which have the same transmission.

I havnt driven any other paddle cars to compare but i was impressed with the clio tbf.