ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Load sensing valve issue's

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I have a Clio 172 Cup which has failed the MOT on insufficient rear brakes. I had replacement discs and new pads fitted, but now it appears I need a new load sensing valve. I understand on Cups there is no actuating arm/spring, and have advised my tester on this, but the brake performance is still not enough to get it through the MOT. The tester says the valve has not seized, but believes it must need replacing as it can be the only reason the brakes are not performing. I advised him that Cups do not use the rear brakes much, but they say they cannot be as bad as this (he says he can pretty much turn the rear wheels with the brake pedal down). I have tried to get hold of a second hand valve, as new ones are not cheap, but no joy.
Is it likely that this is the problem, and if so what could have caused the valve to stop working? Also I can get hold of a regular 172 valve, so could this be fitted and adjusted with the actuating arm?
Front brakes are fine by the way...
Thanks for any help...

Clio 197
I have JUST posted about this too (in General)

have you seen the VOSA document floating about? This advises that the rear linkage isnt fitted to cups and as i understand you shouldnt fit one. It also covers the low braking efficiency on the rear.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Yes I've seen this, and my tester is aware also. However they still say the rear brakes are so poor they cannot pass it. It's not the discs or pads, which they say leaves only a faulty valve. But I don't wanna buy a new one until I've ruled everything else out...

I had this problem when I last had my mot. The garage said they knew all about the Clio cups, it had new rear discs and pads a few months before but they kept failing it on the rear brakes showing little or no effort. They wanted to replace the sensor. I told them I wanted a second opinion so took my car off to the local stealership. Surprise surprise it passed no problems.

I suggest getting a second opinion like I did maybe.

You could get them to cable tie up the valve to show it is working as normal. If you cable tie it so it can't move the effort to the rears should increase loads. This is what I do for my MoTs.