ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI 80, 2003, any cheapish mods?

Clio 2003 1.5 DCI 80
hi, i've got a 2003 clio DCI, looking for some idea's for reasonably low priced modifications?

im 18 so money isnt exactly in abundance.

cheers.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
welcome :) more dCi owners coming on here recently so you can get plenty of idea's.

good choice, i have a 2003 dci 80 aswell :)

mods- remap and leave it be. i hae spent to much time faffing about with the dci engine and its a pain in the arse to make massive gains.

dCi 80 will remap to around just shy of 120bhp at a push.

Clio 2003 1.5 DCI 80
so going for the likes of a cone filter would do nothing to performance but make it a bit louder?
I've currently got a TDI tuning box in it, definitely noticed a difference from it, though i was skeptical, plus im getting
82mpg on long runs!

Any idea of roughly how much a full remap would be?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
cone filter wont do nothing on a dci mate. your better off ordering a aftermarket panel filter to go into the original air box.

if you want, you could mod the exhaust system, ie de-catt and full straight through. it will make it more of a loud tractor noise tho.
few bhp unlocked from that aswell.

tdi tunning boxes i personally do'not trust. but each to there own.

saying that a remap would render the need of a tunning box usless.

as for a cost of a full remap, your best off looking around. RS tunning on here might be able to help with remaping your car.

clean service aswell on these goes a LONG way to keeping the brillaint MPG we all bang on about.

AND if your good at mechanical stuff, take the egr valve off and give that a dran good clean !

Clio 2003 1.5 DCI 80
Cleaned the EGR valve last weekend, the car was losing power and playing up, so done a bit of fiddling, seems to have fixed it :)
I'm in northern ireland so il do a google search and get a few quotes about it, until then the tuning box will have too do! thanks.

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
www.cliodci.net is the place for you!

As said, cone filters do nothing on the dCi lump.
Better of going for a K&N Panel Filter for only £40.

Remap is roughly £200-300

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
So im waiting on a quote from a local company for a remap. How would i go about getting a better cold air feed?

Get a 1m long cold air feed pipe, and remove thr old pipe. Put the new one on and relocate it.

I have mine go from the air box , across behind the front top grill and then turned the end to the grill just above the fuel pump.

Better cold air feed area there :)

Clio 2003 1.5 DCI 80
Cheers, il take a look online for some bits and pieces when i get home. I always knew i needed to make a better cold air intake, just didnt know how to go about it as this is only my second car! :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
not really the best place to ask that on here. you'll get mixed opinions on it. some will say yes and others will say no ' as its a not on show ' item.

the choice is yours tbf

Not the most accurate answer IMO ^^^

The simple FACT is that according to your policy document 99% of the time you have to declare everything. It's then up to individual insurance companies whether in their eyes there's it constitutes a higher risk.

The only "mixed opinion" comes from those who can't afford modified insurance or think they have a "right" to modify/own a fast car at 17. These people then justify it by saying that they'll never get caught because it's difficult to spot (e.g engine maps, came etc) or that "insurance is a rip off anyway."

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If i was to get it remapped, would i have to tell insurance companies/would they be able to tell?

The only way they are going to be able to tell is to send the ECU off to renault to be looked at.

If you end up landing them with a million quid bill by having a big enough accident, they might decide to do that.

Not the most accurate answer IMO ^^^

The simple FACT is that according to your policy document 99% of the time you have to declare everything. It's then up to individual insurance companies whether in their eyes there's it constitutes a higher risk.

The only "mixed opinion" comes from those who can't afford modified insurance or think they have a "right" to modify/own a fast car at 17. These people then justify it by saying that they'll never get caught because it's difficult to spot (e.g engine maps, came etc) or that "insurance is a rip off anyway."

not disagreeing with this as it is down to certain types of people not declaring... but that is a bit of a blanket statement.

I'm 20 and have a modded clio (nothing done to engine) and everything is fully declared, started modding it at 17 so really the exact opposite of what you said there... or am I the exception?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Always one that has to correct others.....

Just ring up your insurance group, ask them how much more for a remapped ecu. Then go on from there

ph2 172
Cheers. To be fair insurance is very expensive for young people these days, so im going to ring up and get a quote, then decide from that!
a few years ago i had a sierra xr4i and modded that(adj'ble koni's, bigger brakes,leather interior, s/s exhaust etc..) and told my insurance company and they said it was ok as only wheels were the only external visible items and were not on their 'modded' list at the time. I then bolted on a turbo and they added a whooping £40 to my premium. :) I was expecting about £400. So just goes to show that not all mod's make a lot of difference but always check with them and declare them.
Shop around too, as some insurance company's will not take some stuff into account like mine did.

1.5 (65) 172 rep..
I was just looking at the link for cliodci.net.. See if i can locate an intercooler. I take it i can find answers to all the questions on dci.. And id probably go for a remap instead of a rempa* ;)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I was just looking at the link for cliodci.net.. See if i can locate an intercooler. I take it i can find answers to all the questions on dci.. And id probably go for a remap instead of a rempa* ;)

ooopps :eek: to fast typing lol

yeah most threads on there have all the popular mods for making a dci 65 like an 80 and then mapped to 100hp or over.

focus tdci mk1/ mk2 intercooler fits the dci bay nicely ! ;)

Clio 2003 1.5 DCI 80
il ring up and see, if its alot, il just wait a while til my premiums drop a little bit, and get on with some exterior work.

Raz, is there anychance you could upload a photo of your cold air intake for me to work from? would be much appreciated!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Likewise, always someone who "has" to be bitter?

I fully admit I could have worded my post better & that on reflection it was a bit trivial. Apologies.

sorry, i must admit , my post was of stupidness. your point was more valid and better expalined than mine. apologies to you!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
il ring up and see, if its alot, il just wait a while til my premiums drop a little bit, and get on with some exterior work.

Raz, is there anychance you could upload a photo of your cold air intake for me to work from? would be much appreciated!

i'll get a few pictures up tommorow for you. to dark now lol :D

Clio 2003 1.5 DCI 80
Anybody got any oppinions on whether or not black alloys would look good with a black clio? Got a set of team dynamics in mind...

Anybody got any oppinions on whether or not black alloys would look good with a black clio? Got a set of team dynamics in mind...

I have black 182 wheels on my black clio :)

I think it looks good!

IMAG0278.jpg

DSC03643.jpg

DSC03639.jpg

DSC03641.jpg

DSC03640.jpg

Clio 2003 1.5 DCI 80
How much you lowering? It'll look sweet once its sittingwell, upload a pic for when its done! And i know, but iv kinda just got a feeling about them.. Know what i mean?