ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk1 rear torsion beam

Williams 2
Hi

I need to take the rear beam on my williams to bits for refurbishment. The complete beam is currently off the car.

I've got a reasonable idea what to do but would prefer a guide, most of the ones i found are old links that dont work anymore.

My biggest question is this - ive taken the dust caps off the ends and as far as i can tell it should just be a slide hammer job to get them out? Are there any hidden pins/clips holding the torsion bars in place? Or are they simply slide in/out (presuming theyre not seized!)

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Hi

I need to take the rear beam on my williams to bits for refurbishment. The complete beam is currently off the car.

I've got a reasonable idea what to do but would prefer a guide, most of the ones i found are old links that dont work anymore.

My biggest question is this - ive taken the dust caps off the ends and as far as i can tell it should just be a slide hammer job to get them out? Are there any hidden pins/clips holding the torsion bars in place? Or are they simply slide in/out (presuming theyre not seized!)

Simply slide in and slide out, probably with quite a bit of elbow grease after all these years. I'm sure there was another method to get them out by putting a bolt in the end me twisting it out but might be imagining that :confused:

Williams 2
Simply slide in and slide out, probably with quite a bit of elbow grease after all these years. I'm sure there was another method to get them out by putting a bolt in the end me twisting it out but might be imagining that :confused:

There must be something securing them in place though?

Ive soaked the ends in WD40 ready for this weekend, got a slide hammer already and will have the right size bolt somewhere, just dont want to start knocking it out when im thinking there must be a clip or securing pin somewhere!

Williams 2172cup197
It is probably easier if the axle is still bolted to the car as it gives you something secure to tap the torsion bars out! It has been a long time since I worked on a mk1 axle but if I remember correctly they are very similar to Peugeot ones!! Have a Williams myself but have never had to do anything too rear axle if you undo both sides there are no clips holding them in but 20 odd years old there will be a lot of sweating involved!!!!

Williams 2
Ok cheers
Im going to see how i get on with it off the car, dont really want to attempt on the car as its currently on 4 axle stands and pretty much just a shell!
Dont want to be pulling the sheel off the stands with the slide hammer 🙈

I think that the hardest part will be the rear bushes. I am yet to do mine, but they are high on the list of things to undertake at present.
Bordanova sport do solid replacements, but that's not an ideal solution for standard roadcar.
/y0z