ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio newbie needs some sound advice...

Hello,

I should hopefully be getting my 172 next Monday and already have a pile of ICE to install that I had in my previous car. What Id like to know is, where are best places to run cable through the Clio?

My last car was an Orion which was quite easy to install. I ran the power cable through the firewall using the hole that the speedo ran through. The cable was then run through to the back under the plastic kick-strips at the bottom of the doors then under the back seats into the boot area. The RCAs were run down the other side in the same way.

How has everyone else done it?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I think the general concensus is to run it through the same grommet as the bonnet release cable..

I took the front passenger seat out and ran it under the carpets..

So where do the speakers live in a Clio? I know there are some in the doors (172 were talking about) but are there also drivers in the top of the dashboard?

What about the rear speakers. where are they? When I went for a test drive, the last thing I was thinking about were speaker positions! ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The ones in the dashboard are tweeters.. they just play the high notes..

Then there is 1 speaker in each front door..

then there are a further two in the back next to where your rear passengers put there feet.

so 6 speakers in total

Thanks, I had a feeling there were components in the front, where is crossover network located? or are the just couple of non-polar electrolytics on the back?

Got a pair of 6x9s and JBL GTOs from the old car. Oh well, new speaker time methinks. Any recommendations?

Okay, had a look around the engine bay, its not obvious where the boot release grommet is. It seems to disappear behind the power steering reservoir. Does anyone have a piccie of the engine bay with a power cable run in?

dont have a pic sorry, but

to fit amp wiring

remove power steering reservoir, remove bonnet release cable from catch inside bonnet, feed through the car, remove the grommet located behing the power steering reservoir, then drill out the grommet to the required size

feed both the amp wire and bonnet release cable through grommet, re-fit everything you removed, job done

to run the cable from the passenger footwell (where the grommet is) to the boot (where you will have the amps) it is best to remove the passenger seat (10 minute job - 4 bolts and 2 cables to disconnect) and rear seats (5 minute job - 3 bolts), lift carpet a fit cable under carpet

job should now be done

it is possible to squeeze 2awg cable through the grommet

Okay, how do you get the PAS reservoir off? Theres a tab on the side which I pressed in but I couldnt lift it out (although I wasnt using a tremendous amount of pressure).

Im beginning to wonder wether its worth doing this myself. I had a chat with Phil from SQ Plus in Manchester about installation but he was reluctant to touch my headunit as its pretty much irreplaceable. Anyone recommend a good installer in Manchester who isnt going to f**k my car up? Or my headunit for that matter.

Better still, is anyone with Clio installation experience in Manchester willing to lend me a hand to run the cables through? Theres a pint or two at my local in it for you!