ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio satisfaction

Just wondering how many people on here with 172s/CUPs are actually satisified with the while experience of owning them?

I ask as Im currently thinking about buying 172 but to be honest all the problems I have read about on here - particularly with new cars, has put me off a bit.

I test drove a type R at the weekend which I quite liked, not sure I prefered the driving experience as much as the clio but the well known reliability of Hondas could swing it.

Whatd be your advise?

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/Cliosport/Gallery/Full/1065014854__172.jpg

Bought my 172 about 4 weeks ago and I absolutly love it to bits!

I bought my 51 plate 172, second hand for 9k, and for the money I just dont think you can get a better buy. But on the other hand I dont think I would have bought a brand new one considering mine has lost around 8k in 2 years?

But yer get one mate if i was u, although I do like the civic type R I think a 172 is a better buy!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Had a few initial problems with my new Cup, but its all sorted out under warranty and not a big issue really, so now thats all sorted Im starting to really enjoy the car and Im happy with it...

For the price the Clio wins hands down. Then theres the spec differences. Look at how much stuff you get extra on the 172 compared to the CTR and if you start adding all the options of air-con, fogs, leather, etc, to the basic price of a CTR it makes it a LOT more money!

Theyre also cheaper to insure, cheaper to run, better on fuel, tyres costs less, etc, means that financially a 172 or Cup makes more sense!

Peformance wise, there aint much between them and the Cup is on a par with a CTR, so its all down to which you prefer.

As for the reliability of Hondas then I think you should browse the CTR forums mate and youll soon see they aint trouble free!

The Jap built Hondas are very good, but the British built CTRs do not have the same track record Im afriad and theres a big thread on their forum at the moment about it. Also, a couple of guys I know have CTRs, both have had faults with them, so dont think that the CTR is leagues above the Clio in terms of build quality.

I like CTRs and did consider one, but the discount I got off a new Cup made it too good to refuse...

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

Didnt really like my cup when i first brought it but im really getting into it now. Think its needs a bot of modding to finish wot reno started.
A few small problems mostly down to poor build.
Dont think id bother with a normal 172 (i think it lacks something...hope that dosent open a can of worms) and i dont think id buy a brand new cup...get a 6 month old 1. There is a few about

Cheers guys - I suppose I was already thinking most of things that have been mentioned. The 172 is much better speced than the Civic.

I will get a 172 though as I want ABS, side airbags and the other features.

I think Ill go for a second hand one though - there seems to be some big savings to be had... mikecarr4 - how many miles had yours done when you bought it?