ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport 200 4th Gear Crunch

RS 200
Afternoon all,

I have the gear crunching issue specifically shifting from 3rd-4th, and from 5th down in to 4th.

Having read around I presume my gearbox is shafted...

What are my next steps?

Car is out of warranty (garage warranty, also) with 37,000 on the clock.

I can see you can pick boxes up off eBay for around the £3-400 mark, anybody been via that route as I presume RUK will pie me off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Afternoon all,

I have the gear crunching issue specifically shifting from 3rd-4th, and from 5th down in to 4th.

Having read around I presume my gearbox is shafted...

What are my next steps?

Car is out of warranty (garage warranty, also) with 37,000 on the clock.

I can see you can pick boxes up off eBay for around the £3-400 mark, anybody been via that route as I presume RUK will pie me off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

How old is the car?
Have you had it serviced at Renault?
How many Renaults have you had?

RS 200
How old is the car?
Have you had it serviced at Renault?
How many Renaults have you had?

Thanks for the reply.

It's an '09 plate, i've owned it since Dec 2012.

It's been serviced through Renault prior to myself owning it & my previous car was also a Renault.

It's due a service in 1500 miles...

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
/\ renault will tell you theres nothing wrong with the boxes. They lie, the syncro's aren't great to be honest, but despite the amount of issues, they still say "no they're fine".

I've done 17k in my 200 and it's fine (touch wood). But there's been a lot of stories of this nature.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
/\ renault will tell you theres nothing wrong with the boxes. They lie, the syncro's aren't great to be honest, but despite the amount of issues, they still say "no they're fine".

A bit like when the wheel fell off the 200 EDC at the Rsport Trackday at Oulton this year? No no, it's fine - carry on...

:lolup:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks for the reply.

It's an '09 plate, i've owned it since Dec 2012.

It's been serviced through Renault prior to myself owning it & my previous car was also a Renault.

It's due a service in 1500 miles...

Give the Customer Relations team a call: 0844 335 0000

They might not cover 100% but could potentially look at some sort of repair contribution for you.

RS 200
Give the Customer Relations team a call: 0844 335 0000

They might not cover 100% but could potentially look at some sort of repair contribution for you.

Thanks for the advice, i'll give them a bell and see what they say.

Take it I should give them a major sob story?

Failing that I may just buy the box off eBay and take it somewhere to get fitted.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks for the advice, i'll give them a bell and see what they say.

Take it I should give them a major sob story?

Failing that I may just buy the box off eBay and take it somewhere to get fitted.

No just be open and honest; always the best bet.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does it do it on every gearchange - regardless of whether or not the car is up to temperature? Any evidence that it's had the gearbox oil drained and replaced?

I doubt a simple oil change would rectify your issues - but it may do if the crunch noise is only sporadic?

D.

I have a 59 plate clio 200, my box went and I rang RUK. They offered 75% towards a new box. Hope you get some help with yours.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
I have a 59 plate clio 200, my box went and I rang RUK. They offered 75% towards a new box. Hope you get some help with yours.

Mine's a '59 too.
After much discussion, RUK agreed to pay half, the rest was paid by the extended warranty company (extended warranty was taken out through Renault, but wasn't Renault themselves)

RS 200
Does it do it on every gearchange - regardless of whether or not the car is up to temperature? Any evidence that it's had the gearbox oil drained and replaced?

I doubt a simple oil change would rectify your issues - but it may do if the crunch noise is only sporadic?

D.

No evidence of an oil change, I could give it a go but it consistenly crunches from 3rd-4th, and from 5th-4th, redardless of the temperature.

Thanks mate, mine's a 59 too. I'm going to give them a bell later on & see what they say, I'm not holding out much hope but it's worth a shot.

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
I also have a 59' 200 with 17k on and I had a little bit of trouble when shifting 4th - 6th, but now it's sorted itself out...

Westfield, 182, 200
I have a 60 plate 200, it has 72k miles on it, but the previous owner had a new box fitted in March under warranty.at about 65k miles.