ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio v6.... CAT B

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
27   0   0
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...ms=65:2|66:2|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Anyone is going to view this heres a heads up-

I viewed it as a CAT C repair then HPI'ed agreed a price & got home- just be on the safe side I HPI'ed the car with my 1 left out of the 3 bundle-
best £20 I ever spent-
I found it to be CAT B- I was 85% sure the owner wasnt trying to stitch me up with a CAT B salvage & it looks as though he has been stitched up himself-, because he wouldnt have spend 1k on it for the Cambelt-

Any Queries on this car PM me-

steve

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel
I thought CatB had to be stripped for parts and the shell crushed??

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
27   0   0
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I thought CatB had to be stripped for parts and the shell crushed??

Yep CAT A & CAT B are crushed-

Im not quite sure what has actually happened with this car-

I think its a case of a vee having an accident & a bit of manipulation from the garage & insurance company to ensure it came back as Cat C or D- this way that could buy it back, repair it & make a profit- the problem is this plan seems to have backfired with I think the overinflated repair bill that came back @ over 20k-

Now either the vendor was lying to me & the Chassis was bent ( because thats why they are classed as Cat B) & the classification was correct, Or I mentioned above, its a case of plan backfired-

I test drove this car- it drove ok in terms of performance & the body parts lined up well-
However the steering wheel was totally pi$$ed, to drive the car Straight the steering was pointed at a 90 degree angle-
Again, this just may be a case of Completing 4 wheel allignment, however that was my real area of concern that if the steering was not accurate then something could be very wrong indeed-

I would actually buy the car, however what the hell do you price it at- 5k for breaking- possibly a bit less-
Insurance on a CAT C payout was 50% of book price- which I guess is then around 5.5k, however it would probably be lower still, if not negligible on a CAT B & that would be the danger with buying this car- its all ok whilst nothing happens, the minute you have a prang- its an automatic write off with next to zero residual value-.....

regards
Steve

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
27   0   0
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Christ.

I'm all for repairing cars, but that along with the other information you have given sets BIG alarm bells ringing!

Im Still tempted...... It would be straight to get the laser allignment first though before paying any denaros-

What do you think its worth...- 5k as spares? 6k?- no more really-?
The owner had purchase receipt ( twice counter signed) but hand written for 9.3k

S

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Trophy #267
this is interesting. I once spoke at great length once to sum1 who repaired fairly major accident damaged cars (he did rejigging) and, if done correctly without cutting corners, they drove as they should do.
The guy has given lots of detail about how and why he has done what he did even with pics which is brave leading to believe that it is all above board.
Yes it would driving to confirm with a 4 wheel alignment report but im guessing it already has and he has the paperwork to prove it. IMHO worht looking at

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
im pretty sure a cat b can go back on the road once its had all of its checks...maybe wrong though

not sure i would like the idea of owning one though

Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  BMW M135i
im pretty sure a cat b can go back on the road once its had all of its checks...maybe wrong though

not sure i would like the idea of owning one though
Nope cat A and B shouldn't ever return to the read, only cat C and D can be repaired and cat c has to go through a vic check first before getting the log book back iirc.

Ad

Trader Rating - 100%
10   0   0
  MK2 FRS
Yep cat C needs a VIC check but they do not inspect the repair, purely what it says on the tin.

CAT A - crush only parts have no salvage value (ususally burnout shell)
CAT B - Maybe used for salvage parts only - car cannot be returned to the road.

If what he is saying is correct, and the DVLA do have it as Cat C, then I reckon the HPi report could be corrected, if it is truely a mistake. Usually the log book is marked on both C and Bs.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  172Tb'd, Z4 35idrive
If the DVLA have it as a Cat C then the information the company gave you when you had the check, is incorrect. They use the DVLA data to give you the info! BUT if it is a cat B they aren't allowed to be put back on the road. Best bet is just to phone the DVLA and if it is Cat C then that is what it is. All you have to do is get the seller to get the tracking done as a part of the purchase, then you dont have to spend any more moneys!! The DVLA are strict on inspections of these vehicles, my car was a Cat C and have had 3 inspections on it so they are quite stringent on the rules.

Oh and the log book wont say what catergory it is just that it has been significantly repaired

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  zetec s
my dads mondeo is a cat b only needed a new door, but he had it repaired and still drives it today

they gave it cat b cos it was 10 years old and the nature of the repair they thought was too much for a car of its age.

just needed a new mot didnt even need a vic test

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  ZX6R B1H
I personally wouldnt touch it, I deal/fix/paint with shunted cars all day and i would always opt for a straight one No matter what. But thats me being a fussy bugger :D

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Elise, 530d
my dads mondeo is a cat b only needed a new door, but he had it repaired and still drives it today

they gave it cat b cos it was 10 years old and the nature of the repair they thought was too much for a car of its age.

just needed a new mot didnt even need a vic test

Absolute bull. If it was a Cat C or D i can believe this (sounds like a D) but why would it be a B if it was JUST the door?

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  LoW clio Sh*t...&..
thats is strange damage ??

i would never buy a car that was a cat b/c imo

+1

Just to risky mate.. Why spend so much and have insecurties.. Pay abit more and have a safe mind my advice would be. Never take a risk on it as you are unsure mate.. Go ahead though if everything is fine. Just dont rush it. :D Good luck

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  Clio 200 RS EDC
If it as said and its officially at cat c on the dvla's records then theres scope for some big knock down in price.

Make sure you can get the hpi adjusted to match though... if all's well and it checks out fine then I can't see why its any worse than buying any other cat c - plenty of people go out and buy them if they're happy with the lower resale prices (which they usually are as they're paying less in the first place!)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
27   0   0
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
If it as said and its officially at cat c on the dvla's records then theres scope for some big knock down in price.

Make sure you can get the hpi adjusted to match though... if all's well and it checks out fine then I can't see why its any worse than buying any other cat c - plenty of people go out and buy them if they're happy with the lower resale prices (which they usually are as they're paying less in the first place!)

Who is more 'CORRECT' though.. DVLA OR HPI?

HPI deal directly with the insurance broker & the assessor- so the chain of events must be

Accident >> Claim >> assessor + estimate >> Insurance company accept cost / decline payment >> car catagoriesed >> HPI Informed
How do the DVLA find out a change-

THis was the EMAIL I got back from HPI when I queried the discrepency between seller saying DVLA said it was CAT C & HPI saying CAT B- ( Also to date the owner hasnt provided me with an contact details of who he has dealt with at DVLA-

Dear Mr. Murr,

I am writing with reference to your recent enquiry regarding a Renault Clio that wore AV53 ZCZ.

I can confirm that we investigated this claim previously and had it confirmed by the insurance company that this was a Category B total loss. This means the vehicle could be used for parts but the body shell should be crushed.

If you require any further information you would need to go back through the chain of ownership to whoever had the vehicle at the time to see if they have any details.

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Lauren

Steve

Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
  ibiza cupra
if that is the case mate i would stay clear of it. its not road leagal if it was serposed to be crushed.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Well I though that (I might be wrong) its the dvla that will either let you drive it or not on the road and HPI just deal with insurance claims and obviously give potential buyers their version of the story.

Judging by that letter though I think its time to walk away from this one. Shame though for the seller and the car really.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Merc
The HPI report muppets have been known to make mistakes when updating records. After all its some muppet sitting at a desk entering data all day.

Had a similair problem with a car i bought before where the HPI report said it was stolen yet the dealer i was buying from had the V5 etc. I called the DVLA who said it wasnt wanted as stolen and they never had the car on record before as stolen.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  zetec s
Absolute bull. If it was a Cat C or D i can believe this (sounds like a D) but why would it be a B if it was JUST the door?

Sorry dont mean to hijack
well it needed a couple of doors, got all the documents sayin it was a catB write off aswell from the insurance, its a long story

dsc01301yp7.jpg

Ad

Trader Rating - 100%
10   0   0
  MK2 FRS
Only thing to add is that its not in the insurance companies interests to over catagorise a car as it would affect the salavage value. Something very odd with this one as I cant understand with something like a Vee why someone would repair it give the cost. As said, its only fit for the track now.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
27   0   0
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Only thing to add is that its not in the insurance companies interests to over catagorise a car as it would affect the salavage value. Something very odd with this one as I cant understand with something like a Vee why someone would repair it give the cost. As said, its only fit for the track now.

Bidding ended on this early so it has been bought-

S

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can't even tax a cat B!

All this about the chassis being bent is a cat B is also bull mate, Most rear end and front end smashes these days have chassis leg damage.

Sounds dodgy anyway, I would the categories have been mixed up as you cannot put a cat B back on the road, no one would insure it and you CANNOT tax it.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  LoW clio Sh*t...&..
i dont know why you putting urself through such a risk mate... glad you didnt buy it..!