ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunk after removing front strut + spinning top mounts

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

I recently did the wishbones on my 182. I removed one strut to inspect the top mount and ever since ive had an ever so slight clunk from that side when going over slight bumps.

Ive also noticed the top mount caps are spinning and moving as I turn the wheel, is this normal?

I was worried the caps were loose but I have since read they do not need to be very tight.

I used an electric rattle gun to tighten them up so maybe they are over tight? Could this pop the spring out of position?

Any info would be apreciated ?

Last edited:

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
They should rotate with the shocker ever so slightly but it shouldn't be anything drastic

You may have rotated the spring out of its seat or the bearing might just be fucked

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
They should rotate with the shocker ever so slightly but it shouldn't be anything drastic

You may have rotated the spring out of its seat or the bearing might just be fucked

Here is a video:

Bearings are reasonably new but I have ordered a complete new febi kit and will put that on.

Will I be able to see if the spring is seated just by jacking it up?

Cheers

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Here is a video:

Bearings are reasonably new but I have ordered a complete new febi kit and will put that on.

Will I be able to see if the spring is seated just by jacking it up?

Cheers

Yeah that much rotation is fine as the top mount should turn with the whole shocker assembly iirc

Try the new bush kit as it will rule that out anyway, you might be able to see the bottom and top spring seats with the shocker on but you'll need to remove the wheel in order to get your noggin in the well ahaha

Did you tighten everything to torque specs too as overtightening the pinch bolt for the balljoint will stretch the bolt slightly making a bit of room for the balljoint to move slightly and then the balljoint will have play within the hub and oval out the opening. Had it happen before and it was a fucker to find and it only gets worse and worse each time lol

monaco 172
If you gunned up the top cap and the car wasn't on the ground there's a good chance you could have moved the spring out of the top seat.

I made that mistake once.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that much rotation is fine as the top mount should turn with the whole shocker assembly iirc

Try the new bush kit as it will rule that out anyway, you might be able to see the bottom and top spring seats with the shocker on but you'll need to remove the wheel in order to get your noggin in the well ahaha

Did you tighten everything to torque specs too as overtightening the pinch bolt for the balljoint will stretch the bolt slightly making a bit of room for the balljoint to move slightly and then the balljoint will have play within the hub and oval out the opening. Had it happen before and it was a fucker to find and it only gets worse and worse each time lol

Hopefully i can get hold of the bushes today and take everything apart.

I didnt torque up the pinch bolt, I did it ft if memory serves me well. If I’ve over tightened is it a case of replacing the bolts?

I gunned up the top caps when the car was on the ground, i didnt hear any bad noises haha

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully i can get hold of the bushes today and take everything apart.

I didnt torque up the pinch bolt, I did it ft if memory serves me well. If I’ve over tightened is it a case of replacing the bolts?

I gunned up the top caps when the car was on the ground, i didnt hear any bad noises haha
Yeah as long as you didn't swing on a breaker bar to tighten them up, easiest way to tell is if you pull the pinch bolt out and it has one slightly flat spot enough to cause a tiny bit of play when you pry down the lower arm

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah as long as you didn't swing on a breaker bar to tighten them up, easiest way to tell is if you pull the pinch bolt out and it has one slightly flat spot enough to cause a tiny bit of play when you pry down the lower arm

So if I try and pry the ball joint down and there is no movement the bolt should be okay?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah if there's no up and down/side to side play then that should be fine, process of elimination and all that

Ok.

I have got the top mount kit, will tear down and inspect.

Top caps just hand tightened in the air and then quite tight on the ground?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,

I fitted the new top mounts and inspected everything. Looks like one pinch bolt wasnt tight at all, (opposite side to noise) have torqued them both up to 30nm as per guides.

Car is now driving tight as a drum. With no noises!

Thanks for the help