ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch issue?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, let me try and explain this as best i can.

I noticed this a few weeks ago and sitting in traffic today made me want to investigate a bit more.
Basically, the "biting point" seems lower than normal. Maybe an inch from fully pressed (judging by foot so could be more) it is at the highest point it can be before being a juddery pull away.
It seems to be unless i give it a good foot full to pull away that its a bit juddery.
Juddery as in you know when you can hear the exhaust rattle or a loose heatshield. Hard to explain.
Its not a smooth gear change either. Not a crunch in the gearbox roughness but like you have to wait a second or two to get back on the gas between changes.
If im on the gas giving it bean juice then its fine, but crawling speed to steady 0-30 it just seems a bit loose.
Clutch is heavy aswell but always has been since ive had it. Im on 65k miles now just for reference.
I drive a few cars and nothing is as heavy as this.
Any theories for me?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Either the release bearing or clutch on its way out

Or that knocking noise making an appearance again. Just sayin.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
New cable time. Try to reset the auto ajust on the clutch pedal

Undo the cable from the gearbox the press the pedal all the way down then put it back on then press again it should set it right again

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers dave. May aswell try and re-adjust it first seeing as that costs nothing.
So i can just replace the cable?
I was going to go balls deep and replace the lot.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers dave. May aswell try and re-adjust it first seeing as that costs nothing.
So i can just replace the cable?
I was going to go balls deep and replace the lot.

The clio self adjusts so even when the clutch gets thin its ment to have the same bite point. If theres no slip i wouldnt worry just yet try the adjust reset see if that does anything.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Will give it a go tomorrow. Im assuming you mean do the self adjust, if no luck put on a new cable and see what happens after that?

I saw you posted about this a couple of months ago. Was it an easy diy jobbie?

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Will give it a go tomorrow. Im assuming you mean do the self adjust, if no luck put on a new cable and see what happens after that?

I saw you posted about this a couple of months ago. Was it an easy diy jobbie?

Yeh after i pulled my engine and gearbox out to change the clutch put it all back in started up then bang cable snapped lol.

Its not hard but prepare to lose some skin of your hands lol

dan's cast offs.
Does sound more like cable/adjustment with the bit being low. Odd that clutch feels heavy at the mileage though, have found they don't seem to get heavy until around 80,000 miles or more.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mines on 65k and is heavy but no different to the other Clios I've owned. Hope you sort it lee. And with not hearing from you for a bit I assumed nikki buried you under the flags in the garden.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I used to have a Pug 306 GTi-6 with a juddery clutch. That turned out to be the flywheel, I had it skimmed and it was perfect after that, (I did fit a new clutch before and that didn't fix it, hence having the flywheel checked).

Just a thought for if the cable doesn't help.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Mines on 65k and is heavy but no different to the other Clios I've owned. Hope you sort it lee. And with not hearing from you for a bit I assumed nikki buried you under the flags in the garden.

Just told the garage next door and he is going to have a look for me.
I have been quiet because if it rains one more time when I go to point up the slabs then im going to have a s**t on alexs chest.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I had this when the release bearing was on it's way out, also accompanied by a whirling/light grinding noise in the bay, lasted around 10k before it let go completely. Would certainty be worth trying the cable first, just because of the cost of a clutch change (Or the swearing involved with doing it DIY)

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's my thinking.
I am pretty confident there is nothing wrong with the clutch in that sense as there is no grinding, whirling or slipping.
To be honest I was wearing shitty shoes when I noticed it. Had my work boots on this morning and felt fine again lol.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
43F06BA3-9356-4FAA-922A-07E65021B903_zpsfhokzafr.png

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Haha. I thought you missed yours?
I love mine it just annoys me at times.
I drove my dads 65 fiesta the other day and everything was so silky smooth. I think thats whats done it for me.

Haha. I thought you missed yours?
I love mine it just annoys me at times.
I drove my dads 65 fiesta the other day and everything was so silky smooth. I think thats whats done it for me.

I do! But I love my FN2 now it handles properly!

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Just reading for interest only here, but when resetting do you reattach the cable whilst the clutch pedal is still depressed, i.e. requires two people :grinning:?