ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch replacement on Clio 1.2

Renault Clio 1.2 200
Just recently passed my test and I've had my clio for a few months. Now I knew there was something wrong with the clutch as it has a very high buting point and it seems to rev sometimes and not go anywhere. Recently took it to Halfords for a free check. They told me I need my clutch replaced (pretty obvious but wasn't sure if there was anything else to it) but they said for a price of £630!!! Now I know people and I can get cheaper quotes ... but they still are in the hundreds. I know it's a long job (about 6 hours) but is there anyway to do it by myself or anything that is cheaper? It's a 1.2 clio 2004 plate

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Pretty sure you have to drop the subframe. Shouldn't be too difficult if you're good with spanners, just ball ache access. I've had quotes around £350 for the job. Parts are only £60-100

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Buy the clutch yourself from GSF/ECP using a 40-50% discount code and select premium to get Valeo. Think I paid £70 for the clutch and then £250-300 for fitting.

Renault Clio 1.2 200
Buy the clutch yourself from GSF/ECP using a 40-50% discount code and select premium to get Valeo. Think I paid £70 for the clutch and then £250-300 for fitting.
OK cheers I'm open to all options at the moment just not too pricey

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
When I replaced the clutch on my golf, garages tend to charge quite a high price (£600 or so) because it's a long job and they don't really want the work. Mr. clutch / f1 auto centres charged £200.

Whilst I wouldn't give my 182 to them, I had no problems and for a 1.2...

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
It's possible to do the clutch by dropping the subframe, lowering the engine and pulling the box off. That said I wouldn't unless you can be without the car for a few days, subframe bolt retainers snap and cause the bolt to spin, lining up the box so the spline is a nightmare on your own.

Digsey

ClioSport Club Member
  182FF
It's possible to do the 1.2 clutch without dropping the subframe, by supporting the engine and moving it as far over as possible and then moving the gearbox the other way, then using "clutch alignment fluid" on the clutch and slipping it in the gap, there's just enough room.
It's not for the faint hearted though, and it will probably take you double the time you think it will. Saying that I did mine with little previous experience, but maybe I'm just lucky